Sheffield sayings and rhymes

Originally posted by Ally68

Just remembered another one:

oowassheweewassheweersen? = Who was she with was she by herself?

Maybe that's more Barnsleyish :suspect:

This has been discussed at length before, but if you write ANYTHING as one long 25 letter word, it will look incomprehensible.

Realistically, nobody speaks without leaving pauses between the words.

It may not suit the slightly patronising theme of this thread (ie: don't we talk funny oop north), but surely these expressions should be written exactly as they are spoken and not run together as one long word in an attempt to make them seem more "interesting".

Oo was she wee? Was she we 'er sen?

Doesn't quite have the same impact does it?

Originally posted by mojoworking

It may not suit the slightly patronising theme of this thread (ie: don't we talk funny oop north

Ferfussake!

Tha'd mek moor sense lad yodellin' up thy own arse!

Originally posted by Splodge_CRB

Ferfussake!

Tha'd mek moor sense lad yodellin' up thy own arse!

Perhaps, but at least you didn't type it as one long word ;)

C'mon, you know I'm right :D

Thought that I would send a few more----

Esesitintis burraberritiz

Somonems gorragerroff

Corferus arpastate intmornin

Eedurntpurriseed undertwatter

Lerrimpurrizaton

Gerrarry tergithiandweeit

By the way- Tantadnowtdunnatitesasnose- is

It hasn't had anything done to it as I know !!!.

Cheers, Cynthia, in a hot a steamy Ontario, Canada.

Perhaps, but at least you didn't type it as one long word ;)

C'mon, you know I'm right :D

I detected a hint of pomposity in your post, young man!

It sounded more fluent to me typed as one word but then I had the advantage of drinking regularly with people who spoke broad dialect. Faster they talked, the more it made sense!

Come to think of it.....that could have been the alcohol!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Splodge_CRB

I detected a hint of pomposity in your post, young man!

It sounded more fluent to me typed as one word but then I had the advantage of drinking regularly with people who spoke broad dialect. Faster they talked, the more it made sense!

Come to think of it.....that could have been the alcohol!:rolleyes:

Sorry if it came across as pompous.

My point was that I think it is sometimes written as one long word simply to make it seem more unintelligible than it really is.

See dem - - D - - Ducks!

R - - D

R--D--R

O - - R - - D - - R!

Needs no translation.

This has been discussed at length before, but if you write ANYTHING as one long 25 letter word, it will look incomprehensible.

Realistically, nobody speaks without leaving pauses between the words.

It may not suit the slightly patronising theme of this thread (ie: don't we talk funny oop north), but surely these expressions should be written exactly as they are spoken and not run together as one long word in an attempt to make them seem more "interesting".

Oo was she wee? Was she we 'er sen?

Doesn't quite have the same impact does it?

Take your point mojoworking.

Just one thing, how do you speak leaving pauses in between the words? Sorry, just being padantic ;)

Take your point mojoworking.

Just one thing, how do you speak leaving pauses in between the words? Sorry, just being padantic ;)

Not sure what you mean, but there always are (or should be) natural pauses between all words, especially when they're written down. Why make exceptions for colloquialisms?

These long phrases where the words all run together often appear in those corny tourist books such as "How To Speak Sheffield-ish" and the like. I presume the compilers think if a colloquial phrase is run together as one unfeasibly long word, it's harder to understand and therefore makes us appear more "wacky" to the Americans, or whoever buys these books.

The truth is, logically the phrases should always be written word by word with spaces between them, regardless of how they are being spelled or mispronounced. Wouldn't you agree?

Not sure what you mean, but there always are (or should be) natural pauses between all words, especially when they're written down. Why make exceptions for colloquialisms?

These long phrases where the words all run together often appear in those corny tourist books such as "How To Speak Sheffield-ish" and the like. I presume the compilers think if a colloquial phrase is run together as one unfeasibly long word, it's harder to understand and therefore makes us appear more "wacky" to the Americans, or whoever buys these books.

The truth is, logically the phrases should always be written word by word with spaces between them, regardless of how they are being spelled or mispronounced. Wouldn't you agree?

You are taking this abit to the extreme! All I was saying that I agree that when we write we do put a space in between words. We do not normally see these spaces when we speak as you originally put. This is meant to be a fun thread. You seem to be taking offence of me making fun of my own accent!:confused:

You are taking this abit to the extreme! All I was saying that I agree that when we write we do put a space in between words. We do not normally see these spaces when we speak as you originally put. This is meant to be a fun thread. You seem to be taking offence of me making fun of my own accent!:confused:

No, I'm not taking offence at all. Sorry if it appeared that way. I actually think it's funny.

I just think it looks slightly odd to see the phrases written as one long word. You'll never see them written that way in any reputable slang book or colloquial dictionary (as opposed to the cheap "Sheffield-ish" book mentioned earlier).

I still maintain they're written that way to make them look more unintelligible than they really are. ;)

Before anyone else gets upset, I do apologise for harping on about this.

Originally posted by Cynthia

Thought that I would send a few more----

Esesitintis burraberritiz

Somonems gorragerroff

Corferus arpastate intmornin

Eedurntpurriseed undertwatter

Lerrimpurrizaton

Gerrarry tergithiandweeit

By the way- Tantadnowtdunnatitesasnose- is

It hasn't had anything done to it as I know !!!.

Cheers, Cynthia, in a hot a steamy Ontario, Canada.

Are you sure, I thought it was 'it hasn't had nothing done to it this you know? Have I been away from Sheffield too long and I'm slipping?