Sheffield sayings and rhymes

Rattle your bottles in Horrock'sus yard.

Now that's a real blast from the past. Don't think I've heard that since I was at school. Was there more to it than that, or was it just a tongue twister?

Gerrup thas fell darn ?

He were rantyin' ont chair an' he's come a reyt cropper.

Now that's a real blast from the past. Don't think I've heard that since I was at school. Was there more to it than that, or was it just a tongue twister?

Tongue twister, over and over fast.

Anyone heard this word ? I once heard two old women talking about a woman with a dirty house ; it went like this......" House were mucky then, warrit ?" ....... "Mucky Missis ? It were MELLER ! " ( Maybe a corruption of 'Mellow' ? ) And does anyone remember the 'Green-eyed goz bag' , an insult I think ?!

Back o oven were caked in grease an walls were loppy...

I used to work with an old bloke back in the 60's , and when things were going well He'd say Does tha wish I were thi Father an we keot pigs?

---------- Post added 03-02-2013 at 17:32 ----------

I used to work with an old bloke back in the 60's , and when things were going well He'd say Does tha wish I were thi Father an we kept pigs?