Sheffield sayings and rhymes

Obviously not,but if you look on Picture Sheffield you will see a few photos of Leopold Street.

Thank you so much for that – I had a look at that and some of the other pics on the site as well, and the Sally's Pantry building is definitely the one.

I've no memory of it being called that, though. Either the name had changed by the time the photo was taken in the 1980s (the last time I visited my gt-auntie there with my dad would have been the very early 70s) – or my memory is playing tricks and it was just people who knew us that called it Auntie Glad's, because we knew it was run by Gladys Greensmith! I suspect it is my memory rather than a name change, and it's got lodged in my brain under that name simply because everyone I knew called it Auntie Glad's.

Thanks again for the picture link. :smile: Funny, I can't remember the cheap ciggies shop either, and I was still polluting the atmosphere in 1980!!! :gag:

Mind your own business and eat your own biscuits :)

OR.

Keep di noowers aht....

Edited by grinder

Why do we say,"I will wash up" or "I will tidy up"Is it just a local thing or is it widespread?

Alreet and rite are also used a lot in Sheffield.....

Why do we say,"I will wash up" or "I will tidy up"Is it just a local thing or is it widespread?

My mate has just come up with a possible explanation,could it have been from the servants in the big houses in years gone bye saying they were going to wash upstairs.

Edited by Kidorry

It's widespread, one meaning of the word "up" being "fully" or "completely" - see this scan from Chambers' dictionary..:)

It's widespread, one meaning of the word "up" being "fully" or "completely" - see this scan from Chambers' dictionary..:)

hiya my wife still says, orlort shant,orlort show.when thas dun,weers me thingumijig. like shanksus pony, narden get thesen off dat avin meon.

Arr owd fella learvez his toowals alort shants.Then cant find wots under his nooaz.

hiya my wife still says, orlort shant,orlort show.when thas dun,weers me thingumijig. like shanksus pony, narden get thesen off dat avin meon.
Supwidee?.;)

Supwidee?.;)

wotdar luckin at, dusta wanna foto

,wilta be tolld,

arr tolld de tu geh wesht thi nex like chimney back.

wats a marra,? its a long green thing.

wanafeight? semn.

al nock di block off if dadunt geeor sithi.

weers dat den? da nose thingamijig.

Edited by willybite