Sheffield sayings and rhymes

I've heard both 'clock cold' and 'clot cold', but for me the latter is the closest to the original expression: 'clod cold', as in as clod of earth. Mind you, I always say 'stone cold' anyway!

hiya, dont leh me puh thee off witway da torks buh gerrit allreight reight we would say clot cowd. arr owd ahda,sithee eer wen am torkin tuthi, gerrit den.

sorry about that as i'm in my 70s and going back how we said things keeps my grey cells working.

Anyone heard this saying:

Tha Bob owes my Bob a bob

and if tha Bob doesn't give my

Bob that bob which tha Bob owes

My Bob, my Bob will give tha Bob

a bob in eye.

Anyone heard this saying:

Tha Bob owes my Bob a bob

and if tha Bob doesn't give my

Bob that bob which tha Bob owes

My Bob, my Bob will give tha Bob

a bob in eye.

o reyt den seed dee at toppah eely borram oreyt

To Willybite

Ee lad. it's reight good to actually see it in print. Figurin'aht wot thaat sayin' is enuff to keep towd grey cells gooin. I luv Sheffieldese. Tha can't beat it.

Edited by Janber
omission

arr well gorra get mi sweat towel art then get mi clogs on and cus armm on neets at rowling millint top shop at hadfeelds sor al siddee tumorrer avagudun cheers

To Willybite

Ee lad. it's reight good to actually see it in print. Figurin'aht wot thaat sayin' is enuff to keep towd grey cells gooin. I luv Sheffieldese. Tha can't beat it.

hiya janber thanks a many, av sed befooer its eesier seyin than rytin.here are one or two more

thas gorra big scope thy as,..you have a big head .

arrmuch moowers da want,..how much more do you want

lerrus no wen da wants summat ter eight.. let me know when you want something to eat,

lerrus no wendas gorr enuff... let me know when you have enough.

lerreus no wen thal be reddy wen we guart tuneet. let me know when you will be ready when we go out tonight.

albe reddy at ayf past semn... i'll be ready at half past seven.

am gunna geh wesht nah an al luk lyk a new scrapt carat.

go round tu the grammars an ask er tu lend us err tin bath

Edited by willybite

Hiya Willybite

One of me favourites is, itintintin. Tha reely shud ear sumbdy from Brum tryin' to read an say it reight. It's a laff a minit.An then thi sey Northerners r thick.

Im heard this on the bus today"not much cop" meaning not much good,it`s a long time since I heard that.

Mind your own business and eat your own biscuits :)

Does anyone remember Auntie Gladys's Cafe on Leopold Street?

Well, actually I think it was just called Gladys's – I and all my friends called it Auntie Glad's because Gladys Greensmith, who ran it, was my great aunt.

It served traditional English fare and was much beloved of local workers, who went there for lunch. It was there for donkey's years.

If you were walking from Barker's pool towards Trippet Lane it was on the right, close to where Orchard Street runs off. From memory – I left Sheffield 20 years ago!– there are only five or six little single-fronted shops there, either side of Exchange Something-or-Other (Gateway?? A little passage, anyway) and it was one of them. I wish I could remember which shop, but I can't now.

Be great to know if anyone else remembers it!

Does anyone remember Auntie Gladys's Cafe on Leopold Street?

Well, actually I think it was just called Gladys's – I and all my friends called it Auntie Glad's because Gladys Greensmith, who ran it, was my great aunt.

It served traditional English fare and was much beloved of local workers, who went there for lunch. It was there for donkey's years.

If you were walking from Barker's pool towards Trippet Lane it was on the right, close to where Orchard Street runs off. From memory – I left Sheffield 20 years ago!– there are only five or six little single-fronted shops there, either side of Exchange Something-or-Other (Gateway?? A little passage, anyway) and it was one of them. I wish I could remember which shop, but I can't now.

Be great to know if anyone else remembers it!

Will try to put a link on for you.