Sheffield sayings and rhymes

My dad used to say someone was 'wide as Wicker arches', had 'a face as long as Norfolk St' and, if he thought someone a bit daft they were a 'sooner'! I remember being asked at primary school what the person in charge of a workplace was called... all I could think of was t'gaffer, but I knew that's not what the teacher wanted to hear so I kept quiet!

My mum used to recite poetry to us, one of her poems was 'Ah Sal"

Ah Sal's got a new bonnit

It's a stunner, wi' red roises rate dahn 't' back.

Ah Sal went to church on sundy

An' all 't' forks stood up an' laughed.

"T' parson gets up and sez, 'Ay Missus, this int a flahr show

Its a place o' warship!

So ah Sal gets up and sez

Wot's up wi' thee bald eead

Tha's nowt in it an' nowt on it

Would tha like a feather outa my new bonnit.

My mother in law used to say, 'Promises were like pie crust, ready to be broken'.

If I'd misunderstood something he had said my dad used to tell me "Thas got wrong end o stick" ?

What stick and which was the right end I never found out.....:D

Perhaps it was the same stick that you sometimes got the shooty end of. When you came off worse in a deal.

Mike

Perhaps it was the same stick that you sometimes got the shooty end of. When you came off worse in a deal.

Mike

Sounds familiar....:hihi:

Sounds familiar....:hihi:

hiya i remember when i was seven in our class at school one day we had a drawing lesson well in those days the teacher was always right and you did what she said to the letter, anyhow back to the drawing ,i remember some of the class were looking about wondering what to draw, it was in the afternoon i think so the teacher a mrs draper told us to draw something that was seen on way to school, so me what had i seen, a funeral so i drew it, i think it was wrong as she took it to my last teacher when she came back she said it was quite good.i suppose it was her fault in a way asking us to think of something we had seen on the way to school ,mind we might have been sat thinking while hometime. sorry about no sheffieldish in the above letter but it just came to me when i started poddling

i remember this it was thar brane box tha nose nowt , thart furreva cummin an gooin, . the young ones today say, up west street, we always said down west street or up moor, or darnt moor, depending which way you were going or just having a stroll , ont moor

Edited by willybite

Tha'rt like a fart in a collander, can't gerraht for air oils.

One of my dad's was "e's so tight, e'd nip a fart to save 't stink"

Mike

Edited by Puffin4
Addition

One of my Dad's favourite sayings was: Cum in lad and put wud in t'oil. He didn't swear very often but everything was 'Thunderin this and Thunderin that. He also said Chuffin' a lot.

"he's a little sparrowfart"

What's that mean exactly?

Coming to this SOMEWHAT late :rolleyes:, but in case no-one replied a 'sparrowfart' is a freckle. So your little sparrowfart will be a little freckly boy.

Tee hee!

- Kit.

In our house it was Clot Cold.

I've heard both 'clock cold' and 'clot cold', but for me the latter is the closest to the original expression: 'clod cold', as in as clod of earth. Mind you, I always say 'stone cold' anyway!

hiya i remember playing mabs in a water grate in the school yard, and some kids wanted to play with ball bearings but that was not played against the glass cats eye mabs, nor pot ones they were called stonks.

ps there were two grates just over the wall at the corner of cavendish street and broomspring lane at springfield school.

I remember those!!

I was at Springfield from '67 to '70, having been moved from the condemned houses on Landsowne Road, off Club Garden Road (when I went to Sharrow Lane School) to the Hanover Estate. I LOVED Springfield, our teacher was the very wonderful Mrs Bingham.

Coming to this SOMEWHAT late :rolleyes:, but in case no-one replied a 'sparrowfart' is a freckle. So your little sparrowfart will be a little freckly boy.

Tee hee!

- Kit.

thers also shut thi gob an purrer nail innit cheers