Sheffield sayings and rhymes

What's a Bobby Dazzler ?
It's like a rubydazzler but with a bobby instead of a ruby :D

They just used to say it when you had something new, clothes or shoes, whatever, and you looked extra specially nice, iirc.

hiya my father-in-law when he was alive, when he was ready for bed with the alarm clock under his arm, would say" arm onnat six int mornin i'll make the door, mind if anybody broke in here thay'd leave us summat" he was an old park lad all his life born on talbot st and died on parkhill flats. 65 years.

Edited by willybite

hiya my father-in-law when he was alive, when he was ready for bed with the alarm clock under his arm, would say" arm onnat six int mornin i'll make the door, mind if anybody broke in here thay'd leave us summat" he was an old park lad all his life born on talbot st and died on parkhill flats. 65 years.

He weren't on "neets reglar" then?

My Grandad used to say "By but tha looks a little Bobby Dazzler in that"...

What's a Bobby Dazzler ?

The explanation I heard was that it was originally used to describe the first dynamo powered bicycle lights. Up till that point, everyone used to have to cycle around in the dark at night. These lights became known as "Bobby Dazzlers". Bobbys were policemen on the beat and, apart from the odd moggy, would be just about the only thing you'd be able to dazzle on the nightime streets in those days. Over the years, Bobby Dazzler became a name for anything smart, modern and impressive.

Edited by deedar
typo

The explanation I heard was that it was originally used to describe the first dynamo powered bicycle lights. Up till that point, everyone used to have to cycle around in the dark at night. These lights became known as "Bobby Dazzlers". Bobbys were policemen on the beat and, apart from the odd moggy, would be just about the only thing you'd be able to dazzle on the nightime streets in those days. Over the years, Bobby Dazzler became a name for anything smart, modern and impressive.

Sounds good to me, thanks deedar....:thumbsup:

we say gennall they say ginell or slip cant think of others

Sounds good to me, thanks deedar....:thumbsup:

Just found this on the web too:

In the heyday of Cycling Clubs the police would lie in wait for their dusk return. Those without lights got in the middle, those with the new fangled very bright acetylene lamps rode on the outside, their lamps were the Bobby Dazzlers.

To this day when the kids ask whats for tea I say "A run around the table and a slide down the cupboard door" ..... My grandma favorite response

we say gennall they say ginell or slip cant think of others

Here are a few of the many words used for an alleyway:

Sheffield.... -... gennel

Barnsley.... -... ginnel

Leicester... -... snicket

Sussex...... -... twitten

North Lincs..-... tenfoot (except Grimsby - eightfoot. Funny lot in Grimsby.;))

Tha'l not catch owd birds wi chaf.

yonks=a long time

donks=donkeys years

also sheffield? and why donkeys?

The saying about 'knock at the door', brought back some wonderful memories of my late gran!! She used to say it too my babies, I hadn't heard it before nor since, it was lovely to see it again. Gran died in 1980 and my babies are now 42 and 40!!!!