Sheffield sayings and rhymes

tintupear

tintdowndareever

lost it then mi old cocker

Just before I set off to join the Navy my mother called ma aside and said she had some advice for me as I entered this new big world. I thought oh! oh! here we go with the birds and the bees lecture and all the evils that I might encounter. She looke me straight in the eye and said "If tha guz t' mill expect to get dusty" -that was it and to this day it is probable that most sound piece of advice I have ever received. It applies to almost every decison you make and also sets out the consequences. Amazing.

Oo duz tha think thy art? Ickey Thump? (Who the heck is he?)

I dont know if you'd call this a Sheffield saying or what, but when we were kids back in the 30s, 40s, and playing cricket in the backyards, 90% of the time we'd use a tennis ball. Sometimes some lunatic would introduce a proper cricket ball into the games. We used to refer to this proper ball as a 'corky' ball. Usually there wasn't any leather left as an outer cover just the hard inside. Some of them looked like chunks of rock.

I remember that term for 'real' cricket balls, also, a 'casey' was a real...as in leather....football.

I dont know if you'd call this a Sheffield saying or what, but when we were kids back in the 30s, 40s, and playing cricket in the backyards, 90% of the time we'd use a tennis ball. Sometimes some lunatic would introduce a proper cricket ball into the games. We used to refer to this proper ball as a 'corky' ball. Usually there wasn't any leather left as an outer cover just the hard inside. Some of them looked like chunks of rock.

In Junior School during the war, we only ever had 'corky' balls for cricket as new ones were virtually impossible to get.

Only when I went to Grammar School in 1945 did we get decent equipment.

I remember that term for 'real' cricket balls, also, a 'casey' was a real...as in leather....football.
Dont remember the term 'casey', but certainly caseball was used to refer to a proper football.

Actually 'casey' sounds a bit Liverpudlian.

Dont remember the term 'casey', but certainly caseball was used to refer to a proper football.

Actually 'casey' sounds a bit Liverpudlian.

no its defo sheff we used to call our leather football a casey . id only get the casey out for a good match otherwise it was the crap ball

Talking of the Lady she used to swan about in a mink coat all the time (wife of Sir Bernard Docker head of Daimler she died in 1983 I Think)

My Gran use to say, of women from working class background who dressed above their staition or swanned about as if they had loads of money, were:-

"all fur coat and no nickers"

:hihi:

My Mum too says the all fur coat too

Our old rent collector was overweight and wore a large suitwhich was very tight and didn't cover him.

Dad used to say, "Don't tek any heed of 'im son, heez all arse and pockets an' ot 'air."

Happy Days!

Many old sayings are unique to Sheffield. This is due to its location.

People in Sheffield had to negotiate a hill to anywhere they wished to go. The city, like Rome, is built on seven hills.

Unlike neighbouring towns in Lancashire and the rest of Yorkshire, the geography of the city was not conducive to travel. Hence, people stayed in their own vicinity for much longer than they would have done anywhere else.

As late as the 1930s, Sheffield was known as "The biggest village in England."

Many old sayings are unique to Sheffield. This is due to its location.

People in Sheffield had to negotiate a hill to anywhere they wished to go. The city, like Rome, is built on seven hills.

Unlike neighbouring towns in Lancashire and the rest of Yorkshire, the geography of the city was not conducive to travel. Hence, people stayed in their own vicinity for much longer than they would have done anywhere else.

As late as the 1930s, Sheffield was known as "The biggest village in England."

"I believe it still is the biggest village in England."