Burial Type Dissenter?

Can anyone help me with this please?

Family members buried in Burngreave Cemetery in 1865 and 1901 have the burial type named as dissenter. Does anyone know what the word dissenter could have meant at this time?

Thanks

Vulcaneer

Can anyone help me with this please?

Family members buried in Burngreave Cemetery in 1865 and 1901 have the burial type named as dissenter. Does anyone know what the word dissenter could have meant at this time?

Thanks

Vulcaneer

I suspect it means "non conformist" when used in this sense.

Some chapels had burial grounds but the majority of nonconformist burials would be in the parish churchyard, often in a section set aside for dissenters. More recently burials may also be in municipal cemeteries. Many of these are now to be found on the National Burial Index (NBI). The SoG's London Burials Index is also a useful resource accessible through Origins. In all cases, the chapel may have kept its own records and local newspapers are likely to have an entry.

So it means that they were a member of a dissenting congregation, or something like that.

http://www.sog.org.uk/leaflets/nonconformists.pdf

The cemetery was probably divided like the General Cemetery, which opened in 1836, with a dissenters burial ground, and a seperate area which was consecrated for Anglican burials.