London Club - New steak house on Surrey St

Do you know how the scores work?

It is not just based on cleanliness but things like record keeping and temperature checking etc which is the area most smaller businesses don't follow.

If you look for the 5* businesses you will find the majority are large corporations such as hotels and Mcdonalds.

(I have 5* by the way ;) )

Mcdonalds FIVE , you must be joking, that doesn't say much for you then.:gag:

Fortunately it is the EHO's opinion based on their scoring criteria.

If you pay attention next time you are in Mcdonalds you will see the kitchen areas are generally immaculate.

Of course McDonalds will have Five , can you imagine such a massive chain having a bad hygiene reputation, the loss in revenue would be huge.

They are not stupid.

The food may not be top drawer but the cleanliness is.

Any more recent reviews of the London Club ??

We are going in December !!

Edited by MedocMad

We went for my birthday and found the food to be very nice.

We had a mixture of Porterhouses and Chateux Briand's.

We were disappointed to find that the 32oz Porterhouse was inclusive of a massive bone, leaving less meat than the CB.

The wife found hers to be a bit fatty.

But we'd go again.

Greengeek - Porterhouse steak ALWAYS has a bone in it - similar to a T-bone steak.

Chateauxbriand is a whole neck of fillet steak. It is incredibly lean and very tender. Some people find it does not have the depth of taste or flavour of some other cuts of steak - but it's melt in the mouth, very soft texture. It is a waste to cook fillet steak anything more than medium.

Rib-eye is a very tasty cut - but it characteristically has quite a lot of marbling, i.e. fat running through it. So, if you like your steaks more well done, this is quite a good cut because it will stand plenty of heat and still remain moist.

Rump, I think, is probably the tastiest cut of all. But it can be very chewy - it has thick fibrous meat.

A good compromise is sirloin. Very lean meat with fat on the outside edge. If you ever go to the US ask for a "New York strip" - a really thick sirloin. They appear on menu's here as well but nothing quite compares to the way the American's do it. Something to do with where they source the meat from and the way they cook it. They have these super high powered grills which cook at 300c and can cook a 3 inch thick steak in seconds - exactly to your liking.

I haven't tried the London club yet but I will. If you go again I hope this info might be helpful to you.

We called in here last night for an early steak fix but were quite annoyed to find it completely taken over for a private function. Closed all Friday evening and not even a warning on the website. OK, I guess most people would try and book but at 5.30, booking is not usually necessary anywhere. We will be going straight to the Bar&Grill next time...

We called in here last night for an early steak fix but were quite annoyed to find it completely taken over for a private function. Closed all Friday evening and not even a warning on the website. OK, I guess most people would try and book but at 5.30, booking is not usually necessary anywhere. We will be going straight to the Bar&Grill next time...

Seems a little drastic to just go somewhere else due to one night having a private function. London Club is the best steak I've had. And their 'all butter mash'... WOW. I'd give it another go if I were you... maybe book it this time? :)

If you want a table in a restaurant then book - what a childish remark "We will be going straight to the Bar&Grill next time..."

I think you need to go to McDonalds as i think this is the type of availability you or expecting

If you want a table in a restaurant then book - what a childish remark "We will be going straight to the Bar&Grill next time..."

I think you need to go to McDonalds as i think this is the type of availability you or expecting

The Dam House in Crookes Valley used to do the same thing, closing for private functions without warning. It doesn't have to happen often for people to stop going on the spur of the moment, because they think it might be closed.

Would you care to remind us what happened to the Dam House, Jackdanny?

PeteM01 - let me remind you of your quote below.

Are your current actions not a contradiction to your words of advice before on this thread?

Fickle guests like you who come on here and slate businesses for just one small error (although this error i still believe is yours for not booking) who have previously enjoyed the services of that establishment on many occasions should

really think twice about posting such negative and selfish comments.

The London Club is a sheffield restaurant, Like the Dam House was ...... what is your aim, to close this one too?

Its about time the sheffield forum supported the sheffield restaurants.

We have had full price and early-bird steaks, and both were very good. I wouldn't cancel because of one bad experience - as long as it is only the one bad 'un.

P.S. Neeeeeek, if you read this - have you tried the new Kashmir yet?

The Dam House in Crookes Valley used to do the same thing, closing for private functions without warning. It doesn't have to happen often for people to stop going on the spur of the moment, because they think it might be closed.

Would you care to remind us what happened to the Dam House, Jackdanny?

... and i don't think you get many spur of the moment private functions.

Would be you posting this if the restaurant was busy and had not tables... its the same thing in my book

PeteM01 - let me remind you of your quote below.

Are your current actions not a contradiction to your words of advice before on this thread?

Its about time the sheffield forum supported the sheffield restaurants.

It is not the only negative experience, unfortunately. We also tried to go one lunchtime in early September (when it should have been open according to the website) and it was closed. Another 'spur of the moment' decision, so no booking then either. On Friday evening, the attitude of the member of staff we encountered was not exactly pleasant, despite our obvious disappointment. Finally, they no longer have steak on the early-bird/pre-theatre menu (unlike Bar&Grill, I note), although the price has risen.

We won't boycott the London Club altogether - we simply won't bother going on the off-chance again. There are too many other decent places in the centre of town now.