Shirecliffe meadows

probably know your face,my mates were alan fawcett and on the opposite side no91 roger turner,dennis he lived two houses up from the castle his wife val had the hairdressers at the corner of leader rd.Dont know your cousin.Also knew thw Askews opposite you.

hi billy casper,Ill probably know your dad I lived on crumpsall rd and went to shirecliffe school from 1953-57 left shirecliffe in 1964.

Hi joanne 5600,Iknew your Terry he was in my class all through the time there I remember he was a good footballer.

Hi hillsboro,yeh all the guns at our end were at cookswood I think they did as much damage to sheffield as the germans especially if my old pa was on them!!

yes terry was my uncle sadly passed away now though, surprised you dont know the others he was one of eleven

my friends mum had a shop at the bottom of findon street now sure of the surname though Pat was their daughter (who i know)

joanne5600,I will know the others but its a long time ago ,terry and I had a mutual friend her name was pat and she helped him in his house on pollard.I knew the shop but not who had it.

There was also the black bridge that went over the railway to the graveyard, it was further towards the 5 arches than the white bridge, we sometimes took a short cut through there whilst doing cross country running at school.

Many of the graves had started to subside during the late 50's, some kids I knew found silver cups, swords, and even a roman style helmet, evidently they used to bury people with their possesions when some of those graves were dug.

I knew the Walton's, my cousin Pauline Webster lived on the same road, I remember the meadows catching fire many times, but one particular time it started at the white bridge, caused by a steam train, that were still running at that time, and the fire went right up to the back of the houses on Penrith Rd.

The white bridge got used a lot by people going to the dog track, my mates and I went that way to see the speedway every Thursday night, those were the days when kids could walk anywhere and anytime in safety.

Hi Skippy - yes, the meadows often seemed to catch fire. It doesn't seem to have happened in recent years, which might partly explain the proliferation of bushes and small trees in the area. Some parts of the cemetery have evidently been landscaped - this applies to the area below the former white bridge. Anyone with an interest in the cemetery might like to look at the home page of the Friends of Wardsend Cemetery, though the links don't seem to be working at present. The black bridge is still there, and is used by a few people who walk from Owlerton to Shirecliffe and vice-versa.

There was also the black bridge that went over the railway to the graveyard, it was further towards the 5 arches than the white bridge, we sometimes took a short cut through there whilst doing cross country running at school.

Many of the graves had started to subside during the late 50's, some kids I knew found silver cups, swords, and even a roman style helmet, evidently they used to bury people with their possesions when some of those graves were dug.

I knew the Walton's, my cousin Pauline Webster lived on the same road, I remember the meadows catching fire many times, but one particular time it started at the white bridge, caused by a steam train, that were still running at that time, and the fire went right up to the back of the houses on Penrith Rd.

The white bridge got used a lot by people going to the dog track, my mates and I went that way to see the speedway every Thursday night, those were the days when kids could walk anywhere and anytime in safety.

which of the waltons did you know my dads derek

probably know your face,my mates were alan fawcett and on the opposite side no91 roger turner,dennis he lived two houses up from the castle his wife val had the hairdressers at the corner of leader rd.Dont know your cousin.Also knew thw Askews opposite you.
Yes, I remember the Askews, also Alan Fawcett. My cousin lived at 181 Penrith Road - next door at 183 were the Kennedys, and the Halls were nearby at 175.

Hi skippy,that will be the same Websters the ran the drift mine? I remember Terry Hinchcliffe,Roger Emmett and the brooks and Rita Tanner.

The meadows havnt been on fire since I left it wernt the trains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Then he might have known my cousin Michael Hosiedlo (b. 1950) now living in comfortable retirement in Lincoln!

I remember that, over towards the Five Arches, there was a deep hollow in the ground. This might (?) have been where some anti-aircraft guns were sited during the war, or maybe they were all at the Cookswood Road army base. I'm sure there were some gravestones just below the White Bridge, with a zigzag path leading down between railings, but looking at the Multimap aerial photo now this is just a bare slope with no railings or graves visible. The grand old Wardsend Bridge was of course washed away in the 2007 floods and has been replaced by a less visually attractive but functional concrete one.

when I was a kid playing on medders we always used to think the deep crater in the ground had been made by a bomb during the war .

I wonder ifs its still there ?.

I used to knock around on the meadows when I was about 13/14 yrs old. I also remember landing flat on my back in the stream(opposite herries pond)when the tarzan rope stapped. Does anyone remember it?. The tree was right at the top of the embankment next to the road, I must have fell about 15 - 20 ft. I still can't believe I walked away from it with nothing more than a bruised ego.

which of the waltons did you know my dads derek

Can't remember their names, but it was the ones that were in the senior school between 1955 to 58.

Buller, my uncle [Jack Webster] worked at Firth Browns, would the Brooke's have been Harry Brookes family? I heard he had passed away sometime ago now, he was a great singer, he went on the club circuit under the name of Harry Conroy.