Shirecliffe meadows

my dad would have been 15 as he was 70 this year

my dad would have been 15 as he was 70 this year

He would have left the year I started then, 1955.

This isn't about Shirecliffe meadows but what we 'Woodys' would call 'Up on't Wood'. And that was the area of ground to the north of Rutland Road and west of Cookswood. I remember seeing all those guns, all in line, when I was a kid, anyone know what kind of weapon they were? They didn't look like your typical anti-aircraft gun, but smaller with a protective plate with the barrel or barrels protruding. They made a hell of a racket when they were fired in practise.

Hi texas,I think they were a type of rocket.

Hi skippy,yes Harry was a mate of mine,after behing on the buses he ran his own driving school round Hillsboro,left us too soon.

i was born on boynton road in 52 back garden went onto first wood up to corner shops myself and my brother used to go over to parkwood springs where there was a play ground.ive never left the area and i now live on penrith road i went to shirecliffe school and left in 1967

i was born on boynton road in 52 back garden went onto first wood up to corner shops myself and my brother used to go over to parkwood springs where there was a play ground.ive never left the area and i now live on penrith road i went to shirecliffe school and left in 1967

I lived at 61 Boynton until 1965, next to the corner house on Boynton & Shirecliffe Rd.

On 27/02/2010 at 11:35, Billy Casper said:

Just shown mi dad this thread and it brought back some good old memories. He's a Shirecliffe lad, lived there for years on Longley Ave West, attended Shirecliffe school etc in the early 50's!

Hello.....just wondering if your dad knew my dad as he also attended Shirecliffe school at that time.  His name was Barrie GRAY, he had a younger brother Peter. Dad has recently just passed away and we are wandering if there’s anyone can tell us a few stories of his youth to put in his eulogy! 

On 27/02/2010 at 16:34, Billy Casper said:

I'll ask him but it's doubtful as my Dad was b.1938, he did live in the house though until he married in 1964, his parents lived there until around 1990 before moving to a flat.

Hi ....I am guessing your dad may know my dad Barry GRAY as he went to Shirecliffe school and maybe his brother Peter. Son of Ted who had a fruit and florist/market stall.

Lilyelvin,I knew Pete gray maybe its the same one,did he and his brother have Norton Motorbikes?I went to Shirecliffe school from 1953-7

6 hours ago, bullerboY said:

Lilyelvin,I knew Pete gray maybe its the same one,did he and his brother have Norton Motorbikes?I went to Shirecliffe school from 1953-7

Hello..... I don’t think they had a motorbike shop. Dad was born 1936 so perhaps attended Shireckiffe before you.

he late 50's I used to go to my aunt and uncles house in Shirecliffe, the lived on Boynton Road at Longley Avenue West and the family name being Howard. My cousin John used to take me on the back of his bike to the area-best I can describe is behind the Forum cinema- would that be Busk Meadow ? The more appealing area of Shirecliffe's spare land that overlooked Owlerton/Neepsend and a vast view of south west Sheffield  was deemed a little too adventurou. to a ten year old. Although at one point accompanied by my older cousin ,we were some where at the back of Penrith Road and I looked down on what seemed an Himalayan type view  of the power staion, Bassett's, Owlerton Stadium,  and Hillsborough, the best being the electrified trains running to Manchester and back. I got more a kick out of that than any day at Blackpool or at Cleethorpes Wonderland.

Edited by St Petre
Add

On 27 February 2010 at 10:20, joanne5600 said:

you must know my relatives "waltons" lived on teynham drive

Did they live at number 3 we lived at number 1 in 1973 

Terry Walton was in my class at school for 4 yrs