Google Chrome thoughts

I've given up on Chrome as my main browser for the moment, mainly because of the flakiness of the 'back' button. I live most of my life online and if I'm browsing a list with 200 entries in it, it IS a big deal when you're over half way down the page and the back button takes you back to the top of the page constantly, meaning that you have to scroll back down to find your place all the time. It does it on a number of the sites that I use on a daily basis too, which is frustrating. I know that it's probably a clash somewhere, but my computer has far less on it than most I know and it's just generally a pain in the bum.

There's also no real alternative to mouse gestures yet for Chrome (or at least one that I can find that is stable- I've tried History with Mouse but it's really not stable and only works half the time, which is annoying for someone who uses a touchpad full time).

Small gripes I'll grant, but enough to make me not want to use Chrome as my main browser.

To those that currently use Chrome (just for my own curiosity)

Can I ask what you guys think about Goggle phoning home with your surfing habits:?:

I already have FF & IE, can I also have Opera ?

Yes, you can have as many browsers as you want really.

Just for you Pat here's Opera's dowload page:

http://www.opera.com/browser/

Edited by Kingmaker2

Yep, to me Opera is the most complete browser, if you want great out of the box features then Opera is the way to go.

One of the best features for me in Opera is the magnifying glass.

How many times have you come across a website with tiny print, or you just want to read something a bit easier, like a phone number that you need to dial.

Not a problem with Opera, it zoom over 900% the size! and it magnifies the page properly unlike other browser magnifyers.

It's very for analysing photos carefully too, such as the photos of the "ghost girl" that appeared in the press recently.

I've got FF as my main browser and usually have Opera running too, for testing accounts and the like. They do fine together- and yes, pattricia, you can have as many independent browsers on your computer as you want.

Firefox does that any ways...

I don't like Chrome, it doesn't work properly with some sites I use (it renders them wrong) while IE and FireFox, Opera and Safari all render it correctly...

I reported the issue months ago, and it hasn't been fixed... It also had issues with java/javascript the last time I used it too..

I appreciate that, but website authors are nearly always the problem when using mainstream browsers, considering the x billion number of websites that do function correctly.

However the OP stated that Chrome was complicated. All browers have issues to a degree but Chrome really cannot be considered complicated.

My 70 year old Mother-in-Law uses it, she'd never used a computer until last year.

Edited by SnailyBoy

Can I ask what you guys think about Goggle phoning home with your surfing habits:?:

That's another thing- I've got Google Sharing on my FF but can't find a way to have similar on Chrome.

Sandboxing isn't an issue as I have Sandboxie anyway.

That's another thing- I've got Google Sharing on my FF but can't find a way to have similar on Chrome.

Sandboxing isn't an issue as I have Sandboxie anyway.

Yes I use Sandboxie too, I wouldn't surf without it now, but the vast majority of web user have no idea what a sandbox is.

Is this not just an option that can be disabled during installation?

If you can provide a link to that, I'd appreciate it

Ta

If you can provide a link to that, I'd appreciate it

Ta

http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=107684

I found that. Doesn't say much though.

This says a bit more -

http://blog.chromium.org/2008/10/google-chrome-chromium-and-google.html

It's the official Google blog though so some may choose not to believe it.

http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=107684

I found that. Doesn't say much though.

This says a bit more -

http://blog.chromium.org/2008/10/google-chrome-chromium-and-google.html

It's the official Google blog though so some may choose not to believe it.

Just read the blog entry. Hardly phoning home though, think my habits are safe....;)

Just read the blog entry. Hardly phoning home though, think my habits are safe....;)

Perhaps you'd like to read this:

http://www.favbrowser.com/google-chrome-spyware-confirmed/

As far as phoning home, well yes it does.

When I installed Chrome when it was first released my Firewall kept saying Google wanted to connect to the internet, even when the Chrome browser wasn't on.

I blocked it, and sure enough the Firewall alert box would pop up at regular intervals telling me Google had tried to connect to the internet but was blocked.

Edited by Kingmaker2