Puppy wanted to grow up with my child..

I have stopped many a time on my travels to pet a giddy staffy, i have nothing against the breed when i see them in fact i think they are lovely dogs, but along with many other breeds of dogs its not a breed i would feel safe keeping with my family. Neither would i keep any small dog breed, an akita, husky, greyhound. I think the media does nothing to help these breeds but its generally a case of me feeling more comfortable wth the breeds of dogs i have had before and know. I was attacked by an Akita and they are the only breed of dog i am terrified of, staffies are lovely but only for people who are comfortable with them

I think everyones entitled to theiir own opinion, you cant really blame a person being nervous about a dog when they hear so much bad history and read so many bad headlines.

Just to shed a bit of light but the breed with the most recorded human bites last year was the labrador! I can safely say I've been bit by most breeds and only once by a staffy.The breed I've actually been bitten the most by is the spaniel! lol.

My advice would be meet as many breeds and different dogs as you can before you make a decision. And please at least go and meet some of the hoody dogs in kennels before you rule them out! I'm sure there are people you know and people on here who would be willing to let you meet and get to know theirs.

I've got 2 rescues and even though I don't have kids both get on so well with them. My god daughter even claims one of them and insists on walking him. He walks better for her than he does for me. lol.

Thanks for the link Strix. I will take a look. We are all entitled to our opinions. It seems some folk can be very agressive and personal when expressing theres.

Thanks for your comment henhugger.

... but it's how we choose to express them. Why the label 'hooligan dogs'? - how 'aggressive' an attitude is that?

My reply had less to do with your attitude towards the dogs, and more to do with the influence on your child. What labels do you routinely give to other people when conversing with your child? :shakes:

PS - I don't get on with staffies myself. I've had a couple here as foster dogs, and their personality and mine just don't gel. Gimme a perfectly reasonable staffy, three days here and believing it's my dog, and it's trying to take chunks out of my own hound :rolleyes: I know people who can have a house full of them and keep good order though *shrugs*

Edited by Strix

My advice would be meet as many breeds and different dogs as you can before you make a decision.
Great idea - Discover Dogs at Crufts is at the beginning of March. A great way to meet not only all the breeds of dogs, but the people who live with them day in and day out, and can tell you everything about them from how easy they are to train (or not!), to how much hoovering you'll need to do! :thumbsup:

Chill out strix and calm down, this person might have not explained themselves very well but your attitude is by far the worst on here, just breath for godsake!! And ask for asking a question about her conversing with her child is absolutely none of your business, wind your neck in.

Moondust every dog is so different, you can get a nasty lab, springer, spaniel and a nasty staffy or a nice lab, springer, spaniel and a nice staffy, it's not the breed. It's how they are bred and trained mainly.

Your better going to spend time with a dog and getting your child used to it before bringing it home :)

Edited by HappiDayz

Every dog is diferent, you have to take each one at face value as they all havetheir own personalities.

I personally have a gsd, have always had gsd`s and always will, I have 3 kids and theres always others here and the bear is never a problem.:)

Just find a doggy you like!

good luck with your search :)

Out of all the dogs I have had the Staffie is the only one I would trust 100% with anything. I cannot understand what makes you think that rescues will willingly rehome an ex fighting dog into a family home? Or a dog showing any major aggression come to that. Some breeds have a reputation but I think you have been misinformed.

There have been alot of reports about staffie attacks an they're the ones people seem to notice so you cant really blame people for the wrong impression.

Its like i would trust a collie around my daughter but a few forumers have had experiences and disagree, my partner trusts whippets but i think they're too timid for a child...

People have different feelings and different emotions...

The OP is going to take a look at RainRescue's website as she obviously didn't realise the reasons many dogs end up in rescue.

She may still choose to get a pup that's at her discretion. All that was needed was to inform her of all the nice dogs which are in rescue (and this has been done) and show her where you can find them (again, she has that info now).

And - it's important to note that regardless of how good some dogs are with kids (and yes, there are typical breeds that are better with kids than others and individuals within those breeds that may or may not be. However - NO dog should be trusted 100% with anything. It's easy to say your dog would never harm your child and leave them together but they are animals and things can happen when unsupervised - either provocation (albeit unwittingly) from the child or even they could hurt themselves without you realising and snap at the child when they get too near.

Moondust, good luck in your search for the right dog/puppy and don't forget to post updates and photos when you find him/her ;)

Edited by Moonbird
removing sensitive parts to an otherwise sensible informative post

Actually this thread has reminded me of one little dog I fell in love with in the council pound, and I'd still love to know what happened to him/her

The first impression I got was of another staffy cross, but spending a few mins trying to get a good photograph for the website I soon realised what this dog was crossed with, as all the behaviour and facial expressions were pure beagle! An absolutely lovely dog. Probably a nightmare to have in the house as a pet if you don't know you have a beagle in disguise, digging in your bins, hunting out food, roaming, not coming when called...!

My personal experience, and I've had a lot of different dogs, is that springer spaniels when bought up with kids are fantastic. Especially with slighter older kids say 5+, they never tire of playing ball, are incredibly patient and fun and just love the attention as they are big kids themselves! I've also had great experiences with my kids and a lovely Doberman I had. Currently I have, amongst others, a ridgeback x bullmastiff - she looks really big and mean but actually is a real softie.She is quite scared of people but with my kids she is wonderful. When we are out walking she never leaves Josh's side and follows him all over. I've had some slight concerns over terrier breeds (if they display predatory behaviour) around babies but in our family we've had jack russels and border terriers and they have been fine.

I'd never judge a breed but its personal preference and experience that counts. Do plenty of research and talk to breeders but don't rule out a rescue dog. I've had several from rescue, some with probs and some without and they have all been excellent around children.

Mod note

Several posts have been removed.

This can stop right here and now or action will be taken to ensure that it does, Coming into the groups and causing arguments will not be tolerated so please think before you reply!