Trickett family of Sheffield / Ecclesfield

I am descended from George Trickett (1808-1881) who was transported to Australia as a convict on the Fairlie. One of his sons, Edward (Ned) Trickett, became champion sculler of the world. He is my GG Grandfather. The family history has been traced back to the 1400s in the Castleton area and later to Aston, Hope, Dronfield, Chesterfield, Unstone, Barlow, Stubley, Wingersworth, Hasland, Grassmoor, Norton, Dore, Kneesall, North Muskam, North and South Collingham (Busgate Close and Nessuage) and Dunston.

I am planning a retirement trip to the UK in the period March to July 2014 and would be keen to seek out places relevant to the family heritage including burial headstones, homes and places named after early family members. I am aware of Trickett Way, Trickett Sough, Trickett Bridge, Trickett Gate, Gatehouse and Barn at Castelton and Trickett Brook between Wingerworth and Stubbing Court. I am also aware of the David Trickett Meeting Room in the Hollingwood Hub beside the Chesterfield Canal at Hollingwood but I'm not sure if David Trickett (who died in November 2010 and in honour of whom the room is named) was connected with my line of the family. I (and my partner Amelia) would of course be interested to make contact with anyone who might be related. We are likely to be staying at Ashbourne late in May 2014 for a few nights during our visit.

I previously worked in the UK in the early 1970s as an Australian Migration Officer, mainly in Belfast, but also in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, from which area my father's family are thought to have originated from. No-one has had any luck in tracing the lineage of the Stanleys but there is of course the town of Stanley SW of Newcastle. During my previous time in the UK I had no idea of where my origins lay but I'm keen to redress that situation now.

I understand that a lady by the name of Lynne Tann-Watson in the Sheffield area may be a distant relative and that members of the Dring family are still resident in the North Collingham area. Jane Dring married ancestor Joab Trickett on 15 July 1779.

Anyone with relevant information is most welcome to contact me on acmepublishing@webone.comau or graemestanley3016@gmail.com

Hi, Sorry for posting to an old thread. A Bible from around 1600/1700's has been passed down through our family. There are a few names in the bible but I have been unable to make a link with any of the names in my own family tree.

Here is what is written that I can make out:

Mary Trickett her book 1725 (also a crossed out Mary Trickett her book)

Benjamin Trickett His Book, Sheffield

Ann Wood her book

juniar (written several times)

If anyone is able to provide me with any information it would be much appreciated.

Am just looking at my mother's (Jean) family history and noticed John Barber Trickett was registrar for her grandmother's birth in 1865. Strangely enough I have known the name John Trickett for many years as she and John were top pupils in scholarship exams (taken in top junior class) & were chosen to represent the children of Sheffield in a civic visit in July 1939 to visit WW 1 graves in France. Does anyone if John is still with us? My Mum is now 92 and can't do much but look back at earlier years of her life.

Please notify if reply to the above

Edited by HeatherW
Want notification

I new a Peter  Tricket sadly passed away he came to live on Green Lane W/side, he had a suspended  Ceiling company in  E/ Field.