Is it cheaper to have a seamstress make up your wedding dress?

We are getting married next year and I have been looking for a wedding dress on the internet (just to get an idea of prices) the style i like is anywhere from £500-£1500 which is ALOT of money for one day. However I do still want it to be perfect and wouldn't like to but a second hand one. Was wondering if anyone has ever had their dress made? If it was cheaper than going to a bridal shop and an approximate price?

Thanks in advance!

It depends on who makes it. Some can be done cheaper but a 'bespoke' gown can be anywhere up to 3k (that's from a designer though)

If you want a number for a sheffield based seamstress I can send you a couple of numbers, just send over a pm

My bespoke corset, skirt and riding coat with train was £950 ten years ago, so the answer is probably no, even though you can be certain that you're never going to meet anyone else who had the same wedding dress as you.

It was- lovely wedding, shame about the marriage unfortunately :(

I had mine made - but it was done by a proper victorian corseter, in leather, so the price was a bit steep ;)

Anything with a 'wedding' label tends to suddenly gain ££££££'s in price, but the amount of faffing and huffing brides do, changing their minds, I can't say I blame suppliers

If you know exactly what you want, you could try getting quotes from a seamstress instead. Another tip may be to try to find your fabric at a knock down price

If you know exactly what you want, you could try getting quotes from a seamstress instead. Another tip may be to try to find your fabric at a knock down price

Your dress sounds so unique, have you posted pictures before?

Most seamstresses can get the fabric cheap, and its still really good quality. Its the time it takes to make it that bumps up the price.

Your dress sounds so unique, have you posted pictures before?
I have - do a search for keyword 'leather' and posted by 'Strix' and you should find a link :thumbsup:

It was Nappa (goatskin) so was as soft as silk (literally), not the motorbike jacket grade stuff most people imagine when you say 'leather'