Firework "bombs" in Sheffield

Hiya

A few people have mentioned contacting their MP but not being sure who it is.

There are several MPs who cover different areas of Sheffield - Richard Caborn, David Blunkett, Meg Munn and Richard Allan (who sometimes posts here).

If you want to find out who yours is and contact them, go to

this site and put in your postcode. It tells you who your MP is then gives you an opportunity to write them a letter which the site then faxes to them.

It's a great (and free!) way of contacting your MP. So get there now if you're bothered about the firework situation. Or indeed any situation!

Also there was a story in today's Star about firework explosives things being sold too. Link here

And Clive Betts.

In my opinion the sale of fireworks to the general public should be banned. Only organised displays of fireworks should be allowed, with officials to light them. That way, fireworks would only be going off a few nights around bonfire night and New Years eve, instead of up to 2 months in advance of bonfire night and in the early hours in the morning. There should also be a 1am cut off point for official displays. This way, fireworks would not be so much of a problem. They are dangerous and the minority misuse them, ruining them for the majority. This is the only way to solve the problem in my view.

Before you give up hope entirely on politics it may help to know that we have passed a new law about fireworks this year which I was involved in. I was contacted by a lot of constituents (including my mother as a dog owner!) and spoke in one of the debates on the Bill.

The law has powers to restrict the types of fireworks sold, the times when they can be sold and used and so on. If the people selling fireworks don't get their act together then these powers will be used to control them.

This is a good example of how "people power" can still work quite effectively in this country. MPs only reacted because we had so many people contact us from all over the country.

It also another example of how we fail to communicate what we are doing in Parliament to people outside. Normal people talk about fireworks a lot and it is in the local press. In Parliament we talk about them as well but in another language and following obscure procedures that make it hard for people to see we are actually doing something.

For the detail of the law check out this link - http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts2003/20030022.htm

and the explanatory notes which can be found at - http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/en/2003en22.htm

If you look at the text of these you may understand some of the communications problems that I think we have. Putting politics on the internet does not help much if it is still in this arcane language that only politicians use.

Nice one Richard. I posted a link earlier but it didn't include the explanatory notes.

The only problem with framing laws in a manner which could be understood by the public would be that we wouldn't need so many lawyers to interpret them. :D

Originally posted by richardallan

In Parliament we talk about them as well but in another language...

"BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows..."

You're not kidding! :lol:

Maybe Parliament needs a visit from these guys

edit - actually it seems they are already on your case

Even if fireworks are made illegal, I still think yobs would manage to get their hands on them. Nevermind though, we could send them on a holiday to teach them a lesson. That should do the trick...

Mmmm

t020

I remember in the dark ages (Thatcher era England), I had friends that worked with 'Bad Lads' who they took on 'holiday'......still doesn't work....or does it? Does anyone have any better ideas? and don't say National Service!

andyb

I've been hearing these bangs for the past week around the eccy road area, while some of them may be fireworks some of them definatley are not.

They seem to be very similar to Maroons I see down in Devon to call the lifeboat out, ie. they go up in the air, explode making a loud noise then all that's left is some smoke. The noise is too loud to be over the counter fireworks and they aren't display fireworks as there is no bits coming out them as you would expect, ie. they just make a small flash. As to why they would use them in Sheffield i don't have a clue.

Just thought I would let you know the new firework prank that is happening. Someone (could be kids, not sure) put a firework in our neighbours car last night. The rear windscreen was completley blown out as was the majority of windows. There is glass everwhere and everyone is a bit shaken up. Not nice, big or clever! She had only five minutes earlier arrived home with her kids. Scarey

Originally posted by andyb

Mmmm

t020

I remember in the dark ages (Thatcher era England), I had friends that worked with 'Bad Lads' who they took on 'holiday'......still doesn't work....or does it? Does anyone have any better ideas? and don't say National Service!

andyb

Work camps?

And all this to celebrate the demise of someone who FAILED to blow up the Houses of Parliament