Greaves of Sheffield

Pardon me for going all nostalgic...does anyone remember the sandwich shop on Matilda Street? At tea break on Saturday mornings their sausage and tom were the perfect cure for hangovers from Friday night!

Made my mouth water the minute I read that - how I enjoyed their delicious sandwiches.that was around 1957 to 1966.

Thanks for your replies. I used to work there until I left around 1988 or so. It was an incredibly busy place with non stop overtime. Some of the old time cabinet makers (no offence Ten Bob Ted) had worked there for forty years or over. I suppose its decline was linked to the decline of the cutlery industry, the receivers were called in about '87ish, though I don't know when it actually closed. It was a hellish place to work at....the standards were sky high and the pay wasn't that good. The writing was on the wall when they started making garage doors. I made the first prototype and they insisted on such high standards it was bound to lose money. Ah well, happy days.

My grandfather was a cabinet maker there. It would be in the fifties/sixties I think. His name was Walter Hydes.

Hi.i worked there for a short time in 1961/2,and remember rex bacon of the four mimes (later the discoes).the only person there with his full name on his clocking in card

The original Mr Greaves who started the firm is buried in the Norfolk St chapel grounds, his grave is raised and its made of what looks like brown polished granite or marble.

Know this thread is quite old but I worked at Greaves twice, first time was in early 1970's and the whole operation I worked on (record decks and speakers) was moved to Little London Road behind Abbey Glen laundry. One of the guys was Ernest Taylor and he was still there when I went back years later. Anybody else who used to work there? I also worked with Brian Grocutt twice, once at Greaves and then at Sheffield Rebuild.

Others I worked with - Lynn Kynoch, Elaine Johnson, Olwyn Coddington, Maureen Green, Tony Robertson. office girl Jackie - anyone remember labourer Wilf? Sylvia McKendry and her sister Diane, Alan Hill can't remember many more

Edited by denlin

Know this thread is quite old but I worked at Greaves twice, first time was in early 1970's and the whole operation I worked on (record decks and speakers) was moved to Little London Road behind Abbey Glen laundry. One of the guys was Ernest Taylor and he was still there when I went back years later. Anybody else who used to work there? I also worked with Brian Grocutt twice, once at Greaves and then at Sheffield Rebuild.

Others I worked with - Lynn Kynoch, Elaine Johnson, Olwyn Coddington, Maureen Green, Tony Robertson. office girl Jackie - anyone remember labourer Wilf? Sylvia McKendry and her sister Diane, Alan Hill can't remember many more

Greaves was actually on Sidney Street,my first job was there, I lasted a week,David Fish was the foreman,Les Mould worked there,Alan,if i remember right,was nicknamed Ben Turpin.....Pete Atkin(later to become a doorman on the Crazy Daizy) and a lad called Sav are the ones i remember.

Greaves was actually on Sidney Street,my first job was there, I lasted a week,David Fish was the foreman,Les Mould worked there,Alan,if i remember right,was nicknamed Ben Turpin.....Pete Atkin(later to become a doorman on the Crazy Daizy) and a lad called Sav are the ones i remember.

I worked at Greaves! I remember a few of the names mentioned also some others.. Vic ?? Martin Wheatcroft. Vera? sorry can`t remember these surnames. Oh and there was Irene Constantine...

Are you Lynne Kynoch? Vic was Vic Hardy and his brother John worked there too. Vic married a lass called Shilrley and there was a labourer called Kevin Hardy, no relation

Are you Lynne Kynoch? Vic was Vic Hardy and his brother John worked there too. Vic married a lass called Shilrley and there was a labourer called Kevin Hardy, no relation

No. I`m Lynn Stacey (before I married). Who are you ?Yes I remember Shirley, did she & Vic do ballroom dancing? Do you remember Kath? Trying to remember a few other names but the old grey matter isn`t what it used to be!!!

:confused:

yes greaves was on sidney street, ernest taylor was at little london road,that was closed down and the he moved to sidney street,

No. I`m Lynn Stacey (before I married). Who are you ?Yes I remember Shirley, did she & Vic do ballroom dancing? Do you remember Kath? Trying to remember a few other names but the old grey matter isn`t what it used to be!!!

:confused:

Linda Theaker, Kath was Kathy Hatt, didn't you, Kath and Shirley start about same time?

Linda Theaker, Kath was Kathy Hatt, didn't you, Kath and Shirley start about same time?

Yes we did! We came from Foxon & Robinson.