Why do people "supe up" cars?

Originally posted by t020

Look at it this way... while chavs are modifying their cars, at least it keeps them busy and out of trouble, despite how unashamedly ridiculous the end product.

Are you implying that all modded car owners are chavs?

Originally posted by probedb

Are you implying that all modded car owners are chavs?

Or perhaps that chavs ought to be kept out of trouble.

Stop trolling.

Originally posted by Grim

Stop trolling.

How is it trolling? Its a justified question

Originally posted by Grim

Stop trolling.

Excuse me? I think I've been a pretty active member of this discussion!

Originally posted by Dragon

Been there - done that - both that's. Felt a proper fool when I had no power after my engine decided to be stupid. Still - I cannot complain. I have the power and so enjoy burning off those stupid Nova racers. Grrrrr! I am resisting the temptation more and more these days, of course.

I have to control the speed I set off when the lights change to green.

Dragon

i was the same when i had the xr3i

just to see the look on their faces as they were hunched over the steering wheel,baseball cap spread on the windscreen,engine screeming at 65 mph as i passed them as if they were standing still,it was priceless

I dont think you lot understand, im form lincoln, i mod my car and im not a chav, iv never taken drugs of any kind, im 21 soon and iv never gotten a speeding ticket.

I have a Vauxhall vectra hatchback, not a rust bucket at all, but not a sports car.

What is wrong in driving around in something that you are proud of,a car represents the person inside, its a status symbol i guess.

When you go out to dinner or something your not goining to wear tracksuit bottons and a raggy old t-shirt are you?same wth a car, whay should i drive around in a standard car that can be identical to the car next to it at the traffic lights when i can make it one of a kind.

I dont have loads and loads of money but its my hobby and i buy what i can when i can, even saving up for stuff.

Sure i agree that you get the 'chavs' and 'townies' who think there cool listening to their music really loud on systems that obviosly cant handle it and distort with their windows down causing touble doing wheel spins etc (not that you can in a nova), theres another thing, you dont see that many modded novas around on the scene, you must just have alot in sheffield.

So you get that lot, then yo get my group of ppl who meet up, with concent from the seurity of the carpoark owners (and if we dont meet p in a carpark, where else is there, we'v all got cars), we dont **** around doing burnouts ec, we look at eachothers cars, and generally chill and talk to our mates, or would you prefer we do this in the middle of the dy so you can get into the carpark.

I have an expensive and big system in my car, but i love music i live for it and i can even plug my bass guitar into it, i have nice light clusters on the fornt and back, i have safety window tints cus they hide all my stuff inside and you cant smash the windows, sorry no drugs to hide.

I have an exhaust thats not loud its deep, big difference you cant hear me a mile off.i have a carbon fiber bonnet, 18" black alloys and varous colours LED strips inside the car.

Is that ok with you or should i be arrested and thrown in jail for it.

Dont be so narrow minded as to commit a whole hobby to a single steriotype

Jo

Originally posted by cypher

I dont think you lot understand, im form lincoln, i mod my car and im not a chav, iv never taken drugs of any kind, im 21 soon and iv never gotten a speeding ticket.

I have a Vauxhall vectra hatchback, not a rust bucket at all, but not a sports car.

What is wrong in driving around in something that you are proud of,a car represents the person inside, its a status symbol i guess.

When you go out to dinner or something your not goining to wear tracksuit bottons and a raggy old t-shirt are you?same wth a car, whay should i drive around in a standard car that can be identical to the car next to it at the traffic lights when i can make it one of a kind.

I dont have loads and loads of money but its my hobby and i buy what i can when i can, even saving up for stuff.

Sure i agree that you get the 'chavs' and 'townies' who think there cool listening to their music really loud on systems that obviosly cant handle it and distort with their windows down causing touble doing wheel spins etc (not that you can in a nova), theres another thing, you dont see that many modded novas around on the scene, you must just have alot in sheffield.

So you get that lot, then yo get my group of ppl who meet up, with concent from the seurity of the carpoark owners (and if we dont meet p in a carpark, where else is there, we'v all got cars), we dont **** around doing burnouts ec, we look at eachothers cars, and generally chill and talk to our mates, or would you prefer we do this in the middle of the dy so you can get into the carpark.

I have an expensive and big system in my car, but i love music i live for it and i can even plug my bass guitar into it, i have nice light clusters on the fornt and back, i have safety window tints cus they hide all my stuff inside and you cant smash the windows, sorry no drugs to hide.

I have an exhaust thats not loud its deep, big difference you cant hear me a mile off.i have a carbon fiber bonnet, 18" black alloys and varous colours LED strips inside the car.

Is that ok with you or should i be arrested and thrown in jail for it.

Dont be so narrow minded as to commit a whole hobby to a single steriotype

Jo

As long as you don't drive with your loud exhaust and crank up the music while other people are trying to sleep it is ok. Otherwise, you may wish to check your warranty for your safety windows to see if it covers flying bricks and assorted garden tools. :D

And also that you've advised your insurance company because any modification can invalidate it if you don't tell them

I think a lot of the discussion here comes from perception issues, I'm sure you are a fine upstanding member of the community but I'm afraid that's not the image that the "scene" has... I think the chav word has been done to death, but it's the easiest way to get across what people think of the average person driving around one of these cars!

I'd hazard a guess that an awful lot of people really do see their car as a method of transport (and maybe this comes with age, after the initial novelty of driving wears off?), and are perfectly happy to look just like everyone else at traffic lights. Although I'm sure if you offered them a whizzy convertible, they wouldn't mind being seen to be different in that :) This doesn't really justify the rather excessive hatred seen in this thread though - it's just a hobby, do you really do nothing in your spare time people on here might laugh at? I know I do! ;)

Incidentally, do any of the people criticising cars here do any computer modding? That's a good parallel, people spend lots of time and money making their computer go faster or look better! For some it's useful, but for others it's just something they choose to do - and plenty of folks just see their computer as a way of getting a job done. I'm sure the percentage of people who've upgraded their computer when they don't *really* need to must include some people criticising the car scene!

Originally posted by rich951

Incidentally, do any of the people criticising cars here do any computer modding? That's a good parallel, people spend lots of time and money making their computer go faster or look better! For some it's useful, but for others it's just something they choose to do - and plenty of folks just see their computer as a way of getting a job done. I'm sure the percentage of people who've upgraded their computer when they don't *really* need to must include some people criticising the car scene!

Indeed very true. I use computers all day every day pretty much but I never wanted to mod my PC. Then again I have no problem with people doing that. It comes down to image...it's cool (for most people) to like football but not cool to be a train spotter. At the end of the day they're both just hobbies which people enjoy.

I suggest anyone that disagrees with modding cars then get yourself to somewhere like Trax at Silverstone and have a wander around. There also tends to be lots of local meets. Last one was at the Bubble Inn south (?) of Derby on Sunday, lots and lots of cars turned up and all for charity!

Originally posted by Chicago

As long as you don't drive with your loud exhaust and crank up the music while other people are trying to sleep it is ok. Otherwise, you may wish to check your warranty for your safety windows to see if it covers flying bricks and assorted garden tools. :D

Yes totaly agree they deserve it when you hear them going down the road at stupid hours in the night they dont realise that people have something called a job to have to wake up fore in the morening.(we dont all live off mum and dad)

Originally posted by cypher

Can you answer yes to the following questions? (i can)

Do you have a good ample abount of money in your bank account?

Do you own a house / flat?

Can you afford a house / flat?

Can you afford a mortgage?

Im shure the answer is no because you cant afford it and i wonder why when you weist money on cars like that the best place for them is under the cutters torch.