Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

I'm not saying we know it all, I'm merely saying that most 16 year olds do know more about politics than people may think.

Yes, but still not enough.

However I'd agree with you that a minority know enough to make an informed decision (very possibly you included).

The trouble is the braindead ones (if they manage to find the voting station) could screw it up for everyone.

Yes, but still not enough.

However I'd agree with you that a minority know enough to make an informed decision (very possibly you included).

The trouble is the braindead ones (if they manage to find the voting station) could screw it up for everyone.

There is always that risk, but they wouldn't have to vote would they?

But what if they did? Lets face it a determined teenager using facebook, twitter and a few other websites could mobilise enough people to turn an election. What if teenagers decided to show their muscle and vote in the Greens for a giggle? Or the BNP because that would annoy the most people?

Yeah, but unfortunately the risk is...many would(vote)!

No. it should be made higher, l would think it should be about age 30 +

I sometimes wonder if people over 18 are any brighter than the ones under 18. :|

No. But I do think something needs to be done to change people's attitudes so that they use their vote. Informing young people and getting them interested has got to be a start, before they get too cynical :P

Of course 16 year olds should be allowed to vote - it's a bit ludicrous that they cant, yet are able to marry, have kids and joint the forces to go off and get shot somewhere.

We have record low voting turnouts year on year so it's not as if the 'adults' are doing especially well in the voting stakes at the moment - a bit of youthful energy is pretty much exactly what politics needs at the moment.

And where are people getting this rubbish about teenagers not being interested in politics from? Of course they're interested - it affects their lives probably more than anyone else's. A large number of young people are highly active in various groups, whether it be the youth parliament and similar local initiatives that have sprung up or participating into various bits of research to make sure youth voices are heard or getting involved in planning and running local events - it's all politics in one way or another.

There's nothing to suggest 16 y/o's are any less capable of voting than the majority of the voting population - most of whom don't even bother themselves - so lowering the voting age and getting them involved before they become too cynical about the whole thing and don't bother by the time they reach 18 is not only the right thing to do, but is the essential thing to do since politics is dying on its feet at the minute thanks to the complete screw up us adults have made of it in recent years!

I've paid tax since I was 16. If people are expected to contribute to society then they should get a say in how their contributions are spent.

You've paid tax since before you were born. It's only income tax that is added to the list when you begin work.

I'm not convinced that voting at 16 is a good idea though the idea of wider engagement of young people has merit. As pointed out by others the level of recent apathy is worrying and that fault should be laid squarely at the feet of recent politicians - too many of them like it just the way it is.

We don't need immature voting from teenagers who are happy to sit and play xbox and smoke weed all day.

Sensible teenagers are affected by this due to the morons that give teenagers a bad name.