Broadband speeds?

cheers Blade for getting my hopes up and then knocking me back down. lol.

:rolleyes: I try my best :hihi:

If you live in a cable area then its well worth considering Virgin. I have the 10mb connection (the lowest one they offer!) and it rarely falls below 8.5mb :)

Well to keep you up to date, I've signed up with TalkTalk.

I'm sorry for your loss.

goto http://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/homepage and type your phone number at the top of the page, see if their hardware is present at that exchange.

I am with these people and have a consistent download speed of 19mb.

All comments above are correct, It's best to plug into a Master socket, this is I can provide, new additional master sockets.

Edited by walkertelecoms

I'm with BE in woodseats, apparently off the sharrow exchange though, and only ever get 4mb. I see when I check my exchange info that ADSL2+ is due end of March 2010, will I suddenly see my speeds increasing?

I used to have virgin media cable broadband at my old house, at 10mb.. so 4mb is painfully slow :-( Please tell me things will get better!

Have a look on this site http://www.samknows.com/broadband/

Nice site. This is the direct link for Woodseats and this is the one for Sheffield.

My mum lives in Lowedges (unfortunately) and her supposed 1Mbps Virgin Media "National Broadband" service is abysmal - half that at the best of times according to tests I've run there on weekends and weekdays at various times - and sometimes as low as a tenth of that. Her main requirement is to use the BBC video streaming services - both on news pages and, more importantly, via the iPlayer - not much to ask these days. (She uses the download service from time to time but it's annoying having to wait an age for programmes.) Needless to say her modem's capable of 8 Mbps and her computers are fast enough to handle such video. It so happens she got an e-mail message from Virgin Muppets a few weeks back saying they would be improving her service by Friday this week to a theoretical 8 Mbps one - albeit at a monthly cost of £17.99 instead of the previous £14.99 - which is a bloody cheek given that she could change to their current low-usage package with that theoretical maximum speed any time she likes and that will only cost her £14.99. (The 10 GB download cap that has would probably be fine for her.) So, I'll be checking the line on Monday and if it's nothing like what was promised I'll be contacting them. If they say they've done all they can (and it is sh*te) then she'll be looking at options. So, any suggestions for that are welcome - much like on this short thread - though I can't say that TalkTalk sound promising either given the "sympathy" post earlier.

I spoke to BE and they tweaked my noise to *something* ratio and eeeked half a meg extra out of the line but its still not much above 5mb.

They seemed clueless about what effect ADSL2+ would have, if any... very helpful. NOT!

I'm with BE in woodseats, apparently off the sharrow exchange though, and only ever get 4mb. I see when I check my exchange info that ADSL2+ is due end of March 2010, will I suddenly see my speeds increasing?

You'll probably - and quite reasonably - have to upgrade your service to take advantage of such. Your modem/router/whatever may also need replacing if you're using a standard ADSL one - that perhaps being thrown in by your ISP when you upgrade.