Memories of steelworkers

Tonio

thanks for the great photos Tonio, my fatherr was a Steel Melter on the Siemans Furnaces and it was great to see the pictures, they brought back some great memories.

Happy Days! PopT

Tonio

thanks for the great photos Tonio, my fatherr was a Steel Melter on the Siemans Furnaces and it was great to see the pictures, they brought back some great memories.

Happy Days! PopT

Have you had a look at the video Shaunfl put on this thread ,it is great.

My Grandad worked there up until 1959/1960. After his shift he walked

home all the way up to the top of Clun Road, which in those days was

VERY steep and ran from Ellesmere Road to Catherine Road.

I always remember the steel workers with their white scarves tied around their necks, they went to work every day wearing a clean white scarf.

What a hard life they had. We have no idea.

theywernt scarfs they were sweat towels

they wernt scarfs they were sweat towels

How do you know? you were a milkman did you wear one when you were collecting:hihi:

Shaunfl

Yes thanks, I did look at the film and it certsainly brought up some good memories, I only wish I could get a dvd of it.

Happy Days! PopT

My dad worked on the large rolling mill in this video.http://yfa.drupal.substrakt.net/film/firth-brown-tour-works?destination=search%2Fapachesolr_search%3Fpage%3D3%26filters%3Dbs_cck_field_videola_video%253A1%2520type%253Ayfa_film%2520%2520%2528im_vid_4%253A53%2529%2520%2520%2528-tds_cck_field_year_end%253A%255B%252A%2520TO%2520-0001-12-31T00%253A59%253A59Z%252B1YEAR%252FYEAR-1MILLI%255D%2529%2520%2520%2528-tds_cck_field_year%253A%255B2010-01-01T00%253A00%253A00Z%252FYEAR%2520TO%2520%252A%255D%2529%26mode%3Dbrowse%26solrsort%3Dtds_cck_field_year%2520asc :)

Is there any way I could copy or get a copy of this dvd?

Is there any way I could copy or get a copy of this dvd?

I would like one myself, I'm not sure how to get hold of one. Kelham Island have a lot of Firth Brown stuff in their archives or possibly you might get one from the Y.F.A.

Is it possible to copy this dvd to a disc?It is great.

It`s O.K. I have managed to do it.

How have you done it?

T

Originally Posted by Kidorry

Is it possible to copy this dvd to a disc?It is great.

It`s O.K. I have managed to do it.

I do not know how that got on my reply but I cannot recall writing that.Just to clarify I do not know how to copy it.I know it is on post 48 ?????

Worked at Arthur Lees Crown Works in Attercliffe. Hard and dangerous work. The red hot metal came through the rollers very fast. In between times the men would go to the pub and drink 8-10 pints per day which was usual - the fluid would be sweated off.

It looked like Dante's Inferno with smoke, red hot metal, noise and the silhouetted figures of steelworkers in the midst of it. There was sandwich shop on Attercliffe Road - dripping sandwiches were popular.

theywernt scarfs they were sweat towels

-------------------------------

yes you are right

==========================

After visiting the furnaces in the late 50s and seeing these blokes walking up to the furnace doors while I was cringing from over 50' away I always regarded them with respect when they came out at the end of their shift wearing boots flat caps and white sweat towels, to me they were an elite group of men.