What would you do ?

Sold a computer keyboard to someone a few days ago for a fiver, he then says it doesn't work on xp pro, I then try it on the windows xp pro on my pc in front of him, going through all the keys and it works fine, he wanted his money back, I said, if there was something wrong with it I would, but as you can see, it works fine. He didn't get a refund and got the hump and walked away!

Was I right ?

Chris.

A fiver sounds alot for a keyboard but yea, you were right to prove it worked.

There were some issues with compatibility between keyboards and some makes of computer, what did he say it did not do?

Quite a reasonable price - it was the ergonomic M$ keyboard (with 2 USB ports on it as well), but he said that some of the keys didn't work, keys like the @ sign - but when I tried them all in front of him, they all did!

Quite a reasonable price - it was the ergonomic M$ keyboard (with 2 USB ports on it as well), but he said that some of the keys didn't work, keys like the @ sign - but when I tried them all in front of him, they all did!

Wonder if he'd got the wrong k/b set up on his computer eg US one instead of UK etc?

Sounds like he's using the wrong driver / layout thingy. I reckon he needs to check his language / location settings

If he says the @ key isn't working it might be that his PC isn't set up for a UK layout.

I would have given a full refund. In fact, I would give a refund on anything within 28 days no matter what the cost or the reason as long as the item was in the exact same condition as sold. It promotes good business and trust. You don't want people taking the **** of course but you can weed out those type of people anyway. No point getting into an argument with a customer for a fiver. Even if he only tells one person not to use you in the future, probably going to cost you more than £5.

Thanks all, but just to add, selling anything is not my business, this was just someone I know from a local college.

To my mind, if it's fit for purpose, then a refund isn't necessarily on the cards.

Wether i was skint or not...id have still give him the fiver back and let him keep the keyboard aswell ... just to save the hassle.

To be honest I'd tell him to get lost and learn to use his computer a bit more before buying accessories for it.

It sounds like his PC and original keyboard is set up in the US style (assuming your keyboard is the UK model with the " symbol on the 2 key?)

Wrong driver, he would have been back every 5 mins complaining best shot of him!