I'm a full time mum and benefits are my wages.

yes. if you are working you get working tax credits, if not you get child tax credits.

How do tax credits work though, can you be credited back tax that you've never paid?

It's usually the lads that grumble about 'chavs' getting benefits and housing, the women are enjoying the benefits and don't need them around

So you don't think that women object to people who use children in order to live on benefits as a lifestyle???

It's the responsibility of both people involved to use contraception, and when they don't the state shouldn't reward them.

There are way too many people out there that are scaming whatever they can and getting away with it, with us paying our taxes to let them. Then there are people that cannot work through no fault of their own, but may I add would like to work who cannot get any help whatsoever. This woman is having a laugh at our expense and hopefully she will get what is coming to her very soon.

My mate earns about £60k per year.

11yrs ago he meet this woman she was ok, but she wasn't his type. She got pregnant and they both decided to keep the baby but not stay together.

He lives in London and she lives in Dorset. She claims all the benefits as a single mother. she claiming she doesn't know who the father is. He gives her £300 per month cash for maintance and takes the child every 2 weeks. He also pays for all the kids stuff.

She now has another boyfriend and goes on holiday twice per year. He told me she is about £500 per month better off than a single mother that works.

He is cool with seeing his child once every 2 weeks until she is 15 and then he would take custody.

The system needs to change to stop people from doing this. I nearly done the same 8yr ago with a single mother i used to see.

She already had a child, the father wasn't around and she was not getting any money from him. She had a cash in hand job and we were going to have a baby.

The plan would have been I pay her £400 per month, she carried on signing on and i would see my kid whenever i wanted. I nearly done that, but what put me off was her older child. I didn't want my child to be bought up in the same house as her child.

It's hard work and expensive doing it the right way (mother and father in the same house as the child) but I love to come home and see my son everyday, and that to me is priceless. LOL

Edited by beemarman

So you don't think that women object to people who use children in order to live on benefits as a lifestyle???

It's the responsibility of both people involved to use contraception, and when they don't the state shouldn't reward them.

Of course it is the responsibility of both sexes to use contraception but how do you make that happen, and other women do object to the sort of lifestyle the woman in the article is living.

As I said, this woman could get a part-time job as her children are of school age

I have not read all of the thread as I simply don't have time at the moment, so I am not sure if I am repeating others posts- but I have read the story.

A few points to make?

Number 1- Does it not cross her mind that as she is saying what she does is fine, then her kids will probably follow suit? I mean do some parents on benefits feel happy knowing kids will probably have kids and claim benefits as to them that's the norm?

Number 2- Her kids are 13, 10 and 7 so she has no reason not to work! I kind of "get " that anyone who could get money for free will look on it as a valid option as that is where this government has gone wrong! No- I am not on benefits, I earn a decent salary. I won't disclose what I earn, but I pay in excess of £350 pm income tax and get really annoyed that I get no say in where it goes, but that it just gets handed to people "less fortunate"

Number 3- She says there is no point in working while she had kids for an extra £50, she ought to think that if she actually stuck at college, did some voluntary etc she could build up a good enough background to maybe move into higher paid work. What annoys me is when people have spent years on benefits and then say no point in working! I mean... I didn't get to do the job that I was doing by getting free money! People say it's ok for you, you have a good job with good pay! Well nobody knocked on my door and said "Have a job". Obviously she has never heard of pride, giving something back, and setting a good example to her kids!

Number 4. As far as I am aware, maintenance should be payed to CSA, and then CSA give out £20 per week to mothers unless you have a prior arrangement with the dad to pay directly to yourself! Anymore than this £80 would need to be declared to benefits. The mere fact that she is getting £148 per month and has just declared it to a newspaper probably means she will get investigate for benefit fraud!

Number 5. Is she getting paid for this story? Surely that classes as earnings, and should be declared as her benefits will reflect those earnings. I wouldn't be surprised if Carlisle benefit fraud agency have had several reports in already!

She will probably regret showing off in a national tabloid sooner rather than later!

Edited by relost

How do tax credits work though, can you be credited back tax that you've never paid?

I'm not actually sure to be honest with you.

Number 4. As far as I am aware, child benefit should be payed to CSA, and then CSA give out £20 per week to mothers unless you have a prior arrangement with the dad to pay directly to yourself! Anymore than this £80 would need to be declared to benefits. The mere fact that she is getting £148 per month and has just declared it to a newspaper probably means she will get investigate for benefit fraud!

She will probably regret showing off in a national tabloid sooner rather than later!

Everybody gets £20 child benefits a week, even if working. £20 for the first child up to 16, and i think its about £13 for every other child. So she actually gets about £184 child benefits a month if i've got it right. Not everybody deals with the CSA, i know i don't.

{EDIT} just got this from direct.gov site 'There are two separate amounts, with a higher amount for your eldest (or only) child. You get £20.00 a week for your eldest child and £13.20 a week for each of your other children.'

Edited by bornfree

Everybody gets £20 child benefits a week, even if working. £20 for the first child up to 16, and i think its about £13 for every other child. So she actually gets about £184 child benefits a month if i've got it right. Not everybody deals with the CSA, i know i don't.

I will go back and change that now. I meant maintenance/ CSA! She should declare anything over £20 per week to benefits, as they should collect it and then give her the £20 per week. This isn't child benefit, but a separate amount. The rest goes into benefits coffers

I will go back and change that now. I meant maintenance/ CSA! She should declare anything over £20 per week to benefits, as they should collect it and then give her the £20 per week. This isn't child benefit, but a separate amount. The rest goes into benefits coffers

Oh right, I see what you mean. I think.

Why do you think that?

Call me old fashioned, but idealy, mothers should be at home bringing up the kids.