I'm a full time mum and benefits are my wages.

Then they should put their kids, if they under school age, before the big house and car and not be so selfish. Putting pre school children in childcare between the hours of 8am and 6pm is wrong.

I agree that this woman could work as her children are of school age.

I don't really think having a car (which can be the cheapest way of getting around) and house large enough for the family with a garden for the children to play in safely, in an area that isn't a scall infested hovel is being 'selfish'.

A mortgage on such a property costs a lot and not every couple has a person who earns enough to cover it on their own. But if you know of somewhere where suitable houses in decent areas are going for peanuts please do share with the forum!

My mum went back to work six weeks after having me, I was then looked after by my dad until I was old enough to go to Nursery. I've not had my prospects damaged by this - I'm 24 and have a good job and my own home (that no, isn't a mansion and no, we couldn't afford it on just my partner's salary, and definitely not on mine.)

Or do you think that all couples who can't afford to live on one salary should say ******** to work and live off the state instead? I'm sure that would work out brilliantly for everyone, not!

I don't really think having a car (which can be the cheapest way of getting around) and house large enough for the family with a garden for the children to play in safely, in an area that isn't a scall infested hovel is being 'selfish'.

A mortgage on such a property costs a lot and not every couple has a person who earns enough to cover it on their own. But if you know of somewhere where suitable houses in decent areas are going for peanuts please do share with the forum!

My mum went back to work six weeks after having me, I was then looked after by my dad until I was old enough to go to Nursery. I've not had my prospects damaged by this - I'm 24 and have a good job and my own home (that no, isn't a mansion and no, we couldn't afford it on just my partner's salary, and definitely not on mine.)

Or do you think that all couples who can't afford to live on one salary should say ******** to work and live off the state instead? I'm sure that would work out brilliantly for everyone, not!

No I'm saying you should weigh up whether or not you can afford to give them what they deserve which is full time care from birth to 5. You were not placed in full time childcare with strangers from six weeks old to 4 years old were you.

What's wrong with part time?

Nothing but she will still be eligible for benefits then which goes against what most are saying.

No I'm saying you should weigh up whether or not you can afford to give them what they deserve which is full time care from birth to 5. You were not placed in full time childcare with strangers from six weeks old to 4 years old were you.

Nope from 6 months, I don't think Nurseries take babies younger than that do they? Full time except school holidays as my mum was a teacher. My dad looked after me until then, probably explains why I'm a daddies girl :D

Never did me any harm and I wouldn't have any qualms about sending a child to a good quality (and I wouldn't count one where they put children in front of the TV as any good!) nursery, or letting family help out with childcare.

I liked being at nursey, the little I can remember of it at about 3/4, I had a little best friend call bictoria (I couldn't say 'v'!) and I remember doing lots of painting with string, and dancing about in a silly pink leotard, and eating sugar mice! Oh and the sandpit was awesome!

And yes people should do their best to afford the best care, but I think hardworking parents in jobs would do a better job of raising children to be hardworking productive adults than some woman who sponges off the state all day long.

I would argue that a one year old needs their mother rather than a childcare assistant and a room full of children watching TV.

LINK

Do you think 1 to 5 year old can gain from 10 hours per day childcare 5 days a week.?

I have always worked part time, whilst as a single parent & now as part of a couple. I do not see any harm in a child being in childcare for a short period of time (16 hours per week in my case). In an ideal world & given a choice I would prefer to be at home full time until my youngest is 5 but I have always had to work just to get by. However even if I was at home full time my 3 year old loves nursery & I would still send her a couple of mornings a week.

The government have brought in legislation that means single parents now have to sign on & be actively seeking work. I thought that it was when there youngest chil was 7. I think that by this age it is reasonable to expect that someone could work, at least part time as tax credits will supplement a lo wage & help pay for child care.

Call me old fashioned, but idealy, mothers should be at home bringing up the kids.

Call me old fashioned, but idealy, able bodied people should get a job.

People shouldn't have kids if at the time they get pregnant they aren't in a financiallly stable place to pay for them themselves.

pot calling kettle black here now mate :hihi:and you telling me you not a racist :hihi:

What makes you say I'm a racist?

How can I be a racist when my wife is white, and before you come out with it no she hasn't been made to convert to Islam and she is a Christian.

Come on we all know that if it was a muslim or foreigner instead of a white woman the posts would have been different.

Benefit scroungers come in all races but some posters on this forum make out that it's always the muslims or foreigners.

You are the racist one!! :hihi:

You appear to have a chip on your shoulder the size of an entire potato!

Why have you highlighted the word their in my post and if I have a chip on my shoulder than you have a potato for a brain. :rant:

I tell it how it is, if it had been a muslim or a foreigner the tone of the posts would have been much different and the forum racist would have been having a field day.

When i was younger childcare came in the form of my grandparents. When my rent's divorced and my mum had to work full time, they looked after me (and then took me to nursery etc). We managed fine that way )and i had a good relationship with my grandparents and my mum kept a roof over our heads)

I would argue that a one year old needs their mother rather than a childcare assistant and a room full of children watching TV.

LINK

Do you think 1 to 5 year old can gain from 10 hours per day childcare 5 days a week.?

10 hours a day 5 days a week is perhaps excessive, but many parents who need to work don't have extended family support, and paying for childcare may be their only option. There are many parents who don't work, who have no intention of working, yet who either sit their offspring in front of the TV, or think taking them to Meadowhall is a treat! There are children starting school who haven't got a clue how to dress themselves, and aren't toilet trained. No way have they been to nursery!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/6162923/Schools-cannot-cope-with-extreme-poverty.html

The government are being urged to increase the number of hours of free nursery to try and improve the life chances of children from poorer homes:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/feb/15/poor-children-behind-sutton-trust

Surely the whole point is about decent parenting - and showing children a good example?

Edited by Ms Macbeth

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/2854895/How-taxpayer-funds-single-mother-of-three-Pams-luxury-life.html

Read this story in today's newspaper. She is basically saying she is proud of how she saves her benefits to buy luxury items. I can understand it must be hard being a single mum of 3 but it seems to me like she just can't be arsed to get a job.

If its hard being a mom of 3, dont have any i say!

Look at the house and goodies on the picture :0 what am i doing going to work when this is on offer?