Is the Sheffield TV Transmitter ever going to be upgraded?

I can't pick up the Emly Moor transmitter, as a result I get a very limited range of Freeview TV and radio from the Sheffield one. Is it ever going to be upgraded?

Would be very interesting knowing which area of Burngreave you are in because I know of at least 5 people that have a full Freeview service in Burngreave.

Would be very interesting knowing which area of Burngreave you are in because I know of at least 5 people that have a full Freeview service in Burngreave.

On Burngreave Road, I am guessing you need to live higher up the hill to get the Emly Moor transmitter.

Upgraded? what's that?

I get my analogue TV from Crosspool mast, and I can't even get channel five, which has only been broadcasting for, what, fourteen years? I've been in this place just shy of seven yeard. (Saying that, it could be my cruddy aerial that I need to upgrade ready for the switch...)

yes you need a wideband aerial and so will every body else who has not got one yet for the digital switchover.

AtiAerials.co.uk at your service

On Burngreave Road, I am guessing you need to live higher up the hill to get the Emly Moor transmitter.

I have a friend on Minna Road, and can get all FV channels with a crappy (non digital ready) broken set top aerial.

Strange that you can't (being "just round the corner").:confused:

yes you need a wideband aerial and so will every body else who has not got one yet for the digital switchover.

Not necessarily so. Read my post above (RE crappy old indoor aerial).

Sensible posting, at your service:hihi:

I've looked into this a bit further. (This site is very helpful).

Prior to the launch of Channel 5, the four available TV channels were all transmitted in a range of frequencies that could be received by a 'group A' aerial in Sheffield. So, this is the type of aerial that most people had, if they used the Tapton transmitter.

When C5 was launched, it was given a frequency that is well outside this range, and so many people had to upgrade to wide band aerials in order to pick it up. (However, the C5 signal from Emley Moor was on a much lower frequency that could be picked up by a group A aerial, so people in Sheffield who could also get a reasonable signal from Emley Moor were probably able to view C5 clearly enough that they didn't bother to upgrade their aerials).

Digital channels are broadcast on six 'multiplexes' (i.e. six different frequencies), some of which are just about within the capabilities of a group A aerial to pick up. Two of these multiplexes are just about within the range of a group A aerial:

Multiplex 1 (which provides most BBC TV, except BBC4/CBeebies/Parliament), and

Multiplex 6 (which provides film4, ITV4, Yesterday, 4music and various other TV and radio channels).

So it seems to me that these are the digital channels that people with old aerials in Sheffield are most likely to pick up.

(This matches my personal experience: in my old house these were the only digital multiplexes I could get a good signal on, although I didn't understand why at the time).

The bad news: on March 17th, mux 1 (BBC channels) will be MOVING to a new frequency which will definitely NOT be picked up by group A aerials. This is why people are being asked to retune. So, if you cannot currently pick up channels on mux 4 (e.g. BBC4, CBeebies) then you almost certainly won't be able to pick up BBC 1, 2, 3, News and CBBC after the 17th.

I'm actually quite surprised that this isn't even mentioned in the website about the re-tune.

Anyway, now might be a good time to look into getting the aerial upgraded (as I'm sure the aerial companies will be rather busy after the 17th).

I might point out that I don't have much personal technical knowledge of all this, so maybe someone who knows a bit more could confirm this...

PT, I wouldn't spend 1p to get Channel 5. It's rubbish.

Having said that there are a few "recommend an aerial fitter" type threads on here so you could do a search and get a couple of quotes to make sure they're not ripping you off.

I do love my CSI, and my NCIS, though, Andy:- and they are C5.

I know I'd probably get them, easy as pie, on download or whatever, but watching them the smaller screen isn't quite the same.

I dont have a wide band aerial and get Freeview with no problem.

This is definitely not true, according to the material I've been reading. After switchover, the three 'public service' multiplexes will be in Group A, so even those with an old aerial that can't pick up any Freeview at present WILL be able to get a fair proportion of the main digital channels after switchover.