Where was Bright Street?

Hi - I have just been handed a copy of my grandparent marriage certificate, and it states that my Grandfathers family lived at 26 Bright Street (in 1929). I can't find Bright Street on a modern map and wonder if it is still there? My Grandfather and his father were both called George Green. My mum left Sheffield as an evacuee in 1939 ish - aged 9, but her parents went on to have a sweet/cake shop and then a bookies somewhere in Sheffield. :)

Im almost certain there was a bright street in attercliffe if thats any help.

Hi - I have just been handed a copy of my grandparent marriage certificate, and it states that my Grandfathers family lived at 26 Bright Street (in 1929). I can't find Bright Street on a modern map and wonder if it is still there? My Grandfather and his father were both called George Green. My mum left Sheffield as an evacuee in 1939 ish - aged 9, but her parents went on to have a sweet/cake shop and then a bookies somewhere in Sheffield. :)
i was born on bright street it just below broughton lane and runs off carbrook street on the corner of carbrook street was the excelsior pub don tknow if it still there but i hope this helps if i can help you any more let me know i lived at 213 bright street which was at the top near the steelwork so i would think 26 will be weedon street end all the best j

My father in law who was George Frederick Kay lived on Bright Street.

The old terraced houses have now been demolished and I believe Bright Street is now known as Carbrook Hall Road. Hope this helps

Bright Street was between Dunlop Street and Atterciffe Common.

DSCN7572.jpg

........................................................................................................

The Weedon Street end of Bright Street. In the fields above the railway lines, is where Meadowhall is now sited.

DSCN7573.jpg

..........................................................................................................

Guessing that the house on the corner of Weedon Street and Bright Street is No. 2, then No.26 would be the last house on the block after Stanley Place.

Edited by cat631

Hi - thanks for all the info and the pictures. My mum is really looking forward to looking at them. I'm still trying to piece together info from relatives. Apparently their cake/sweet shop was on Landsdown Road in the 1950 - 60s I think.

Hi - thanks for all the info and the pictures. My mum is really looking forward to looking at them. I'm still trying to piece together info from relatives. Apparently their cake/sweet shop was on Landsdown Road in the 1950 - 60s I think.

69 Lansdowne Road

Mrs Ivy Green-shopkeeper

George Green

1 Carbrook Place,Bright Street.

Edited by retep

hi bright street was demolished about 43 years ago it was behind the carbrook hall pub across from what is now meadowhall retail park, dunlop street is still there and bright street was between it and the mentioned pub. try the town library for maps before about 1966. regards bob

i was born on bright street it just below broughton lane and runs off carbrook street on the corner of carbrook street was the excelsior pub don tknow if it still there but i hope this helps if i can help you any more let me know i lived at 213 bright street which was at the top near the steelwork so i would think 26 will be weedon street end all the best j

BRIGHT STREET! It really caught my eye, because I've got a faded old second-hand book that once belonged to someone who lived in Bright Street. The owner scribbled "B. Stead" inside the front cover. At the back, young master Stead has added "H. Stead. 188 Bright Street, Carbrook, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England, Europe, The World." Date? hard to say. The book is 'Boycotted' by T.B. Read a popular writer of schoolboy stories. The handwriting looks pretty much the style children were taught in school any time up to the mid 1950's. I bought the book whilst on holiday: certainly nowhere near Sheffield. Can anyone with a street directory solve this one??

PS The book also spent some of its life with John R Jenkinson who also wrote his address in the front: 265 Westwick Road Sheffield: this was near Beauchief Park.

PPS Carbrook jogs my memory. Wasn't there a BRIGHTSIDE & CARBROOK CO-OP?

Looking at picture Sheffield, it looks as though Bright st started from where the Wentworth pub is on Milford St (still there) and would have run through the car park at the Arena Square/Table Table pub... Picture Sheffield makes it look like quite a pleasant place in the days of Queen Victoria, although being so close to the steel works it was probably a dusty place!

BRIGHT STREET! It really caught my eye, because I've got a faded old second-hand book that once belonged to someone who lived in Bright Street. The owner scribbled "B. Stead" inside the front cover. At the back, young master Stead has added "H. Stead. 188 Bright Street, Carbrook, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England, Europe, The World." Date? hard to say. The book is 'Boycotted' by T.B. Read a popular writer of schoolboy stories. The handwriting looks pretty much the style children were taught in school any time up to the mid 1950's. I bought the book whilst on holiday: certainly nowhere near Sheffield. Can anyone with a street directory solve this one??

PS The book also spent some of its life with John R Jenkinson who also wrote his address in the front: 265 Westwick Road Sheffield: this was near Beauchief Park.

PPS Carbrook jogs my memory. Wasn't there a BRIGHTSIDE & CARBROOK CO-OP?

hi yes you are right i as i have said lived at 213 bright street and the the co cp was just above our house on the opposite side of the road i would think 188 would be near us the name stead seems i do recall the name but at this time i can t put any faces to it but i know there are other people on this forum that lived around me maybe they can and yes bright street stated at milford street where the the steel works was my grandad worked all his life at the steelworks and i think at one time they owned the house we lived in like many others from our front window you could see the pheasant in at the the top of bee street i do believe the pub is still there your j