Any old Y&L out there "C" company 1957/61

Trying to find old comrades, as the years are flying by to date have found 6. we meet up once a year usually at the Bankers Draft. we would like to widen the circle,

Trying to find old comrades, as the years are flying by to date have found 6. we meet up once a year usually at the Bankers Draft. we would like to widen the circle,

I served Aug. 1953 to Aug. 1955. HQ Company, group number 53/16

I served between 1959 to disbandment in 1968.

Hello mate, what company did you serve with, we are basicaly looking for C Company who served in Aden or Berlin 57-61, ie people we knew, although you would be welcome to come and join us at the Draft. cheers, Terry

Excuse my ignorance - how old would you be now? My dad did his national service with the Y&Ls - don't know which company, but definitely served in Aden I think it would have been around 1957

I served with the Y&L in Berlin until the end of our tour and then moved down to Munster.I was in Support Coy the MMG platoon until it disbanded.

Excuse my ignorance - how old would you be now? My dad did his national service with the Y&Ls - don't know which company, but definitely served in Aden I think it would have been around 1957

Hi we are all 70 - 74 now. we were in Aden in 58. what is your Dads name. is he still with us. cheers. Terry

I'm curious about the Y & L postings after 1955. I know we were some of the last troops to leave the Canal Zone in 55 which is when we parted company. My group went to Pontefract for demob and the Battalion went on to Dover Castle.

What were the postings subsequent to that up to disbandment?

I was in the Y&L in 1947 but I was transferred, very unfortunately to the RNF. The Y&L were in Wuppertall Germany but I never went there, I was a PTI in Pontefract.

I'm curious about the Y & L postings after 1955. I know we were some of the last troops to leave the Canal Zone in 55 which is when we parted company. My group went to Pontefract for demob and the Battalion went on to Dover Castle.

What were the postings subsequent to that up to disbandment?

Hi Gerry

after Dover we went to Barnard castle, from there were flew out to Aden in 58as part of 44 brigade, returning to Barnard castle in January 59, from there we went to Berlin, I left the army in 61, going to Strensall for demob, if you want a fuller history, a book entitled (strangely enough) The York and Lancaster Regiment, by Jane Davies can be got at most good book shops or local library. very interesting, with some good photos from 1900 to 1968. cheers Mate. Terry

Hi Gerry,

The Y&L moved from Berlin to Munster W. Germany 1959/62 from there they were posted to Chester whilst in Chester we were flown out Swaziland 1963/64.

After returning to Chester We got posted to Cyprus 1965 to1968 retuned to the UK to North Weald in Essex.

On disbandment the colours were 'laid up' in the regimental chapel, Sheffield Cathederal, in December, 1968.

Hi we are all 70 - 74 now. we were in Aden in 58. what is your Dads name. is he still with us. cheers. Terry

He's called Ken (and yes still very much with us), but he's telling me he was in D Support Company rather than C Company. His Commanding Officer was Edwards, and His RSM was Elliott.

Edited by tripleu
removal of personal details