Fitting LED flashing lights to a car

Lol you could just buy one of those magnetic amber flashing beacons you put on top of your vehicle, they run off the cigarette lighter.

My OH has one on his work van sometimes because its classed as Motorway Maintenance.

I think extra lights on cars are distracting for other drivers, and I don't really see the point to them.

The amber beacons aint legal though to use as normal driving there only used as a warning light.

If i was to fit them i would fit via a switch and relay on its own circuit with a inline fuse direct to the battery. would work perfectly and also safe :D

if they need to be removed from time to time then maybe use the cig lighter route

Hey guys

Im after some automotive advice. I want to fit some LED amber flashing lights to my car. I want some under the grille and in the boot.

Whats the best way of doing this? Is it better to "properly" wire them onto the battery, or solder the wires into a cigarette lighter plug and run them that way??

What you running? A 1.1 Skoda diesel Christmas tree? It could be heavily customised with baubles hanging off the wing mirrors . you could also be ultra cool and lower the suspension by removing all the springs. Low profile tyres are easily achievable without expense by letting all the air out of existing ones....mmmmmmm! girls will go crazy! :hihi::hihi::hihi::loopy:

Ive always gone into fuse box or just added a fuse wire or bought a cheap fuse box just make sure you have it on a spare switch.You could use battery or cig socket not my favourite way of doing it though.Dont forget though they must only give off a tint of light as i said before though in therory there ok but if a test station refused to MOT in believing there not upto road use you would have to remove them totaly unless you tried somwere else.

Its a bit like last bike i took for MOT with no silencer and just had straight through pipes fitted they insisted it was ilegal too loud but they was totaly wrong and got a MOT the same day.Do not think that applys to any bike because it do,s not has to be a certain year.

Post removed.

Edited by Avalon

The amber beacons aint legal though to use as normal driving there only used as a warning light.

Actually you can drive with an amber beacon on if you are travelling less than 20mph or are a highway maintenance vehicle, or of similar nature, like crane's etc.

Is the OP on about the LED's that boy racers have fitted to the front on their Corsa/106 et al. or the amber LED/strobes that are fitted to road works vehicles?

The latter.

perfectly legal :D

Road Vehicle Lighting Regs 1989.

Orange warning beacons not be used lit except:

(i) at the scene of an emergency

(ii) when it is necessary or desirable to warn persons of the presence of the vehicle; and

(iii) in the case of a breakdown vehicle, while it is being used in connection with, and in the immediate vicinity of, an accident or breakdown, or while it is being used to draw a broken-down vehicle.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_4.htm#%28Tiii%2926requirementaboutusewarningbeacon

I believe he uses it when he pulls up at the side of the road to carry out work (coring tarmac).

Actually you can drive with an amber beacon on if you are travelling less than 20mph or are a highway maintenance vehicle, or of similar nature, like crane's etc.
I was refering only to this part below though there not to be used for normal driving around.

"Lol you could just buy one of those magnetic amber flashing beacons"

Just for clarification, this is the sort of thing I am trying to achieve:

http://www.emergencyequipmentshop.co.uk/phpThumb.php?src=images/gallery/im502867_Rear2.JPG&w=550

no way too much rear lighting.

Why dont you go like this http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r180/terminator_020/prism-under-car-kit-blue.gif

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r180/terminator_020/wheel-arch-led-blue.gif

Edited by terminator

I dont want to chav up my car. I simply need to light it with flashing warning lights.