Goodwin (University) swimming pool sexism

Now I know you're joking.

What makes you think that? That post may have had some humour in it, but the problem isn't funny.

Why's that then? Because middle class sexism can only apply towards women? Or because it doesn't happen to inconvenience you personally? Or some other justification?

This swimming session doesn't bother me and I am pretty sure it doesn't bother you either. If it does, get yourself down Goodwin swimming pool and spark up some interest in getting a man's session going. (It won't catch on though - nobody is bothered)

I emailed them 7 years ago and they still haven't replied.

I emailed them 7 years ago and they still haven't replied.

Least you tried hey. :loopy:

If you don't care about this discrimination why are you posting in the thread?

If you don't care about this discrimination why are you posting in the thread?

I do care about discrimination - this thread isn't an example of it.

I am disappointed in myself anyway, I have let myself get roped in by the chip on the shoulder brigade. Good luck getting the men's swimming group going.

It's discrimination no matter who asks and what numbers are involved. I don't understand why I'm even having to explain Max, have you forgotten what discrimination is?

Providing a facility to just one sex and excluding the other is clearly in that category.

A court case was won yesterday for equal pay for women (backdated). But they (and a few men in support) are happy for them to be equal except where they want special treatment.

Equal is equal, no special treatment, at all, just lots of equal people who can all use the facilities whenever.

You really are taking your pedantry to an extreme now. Let's try another example:

A rugby club decide they want a swimming session once a month after training and approach the local swimming baths who agree that they can have exclusive use at a set time once a week as long as they guarantee a minimum number of attendees.

Is this discrimination? If so, against whom? Women, football players, non-swimmers?

You really are taking your pedantry to an extreme now. Let's try another example:

A rugby club decide they want a swimming session once a month after training and approach the local swimming baths who agree that they can have exclusive use at a set time once a week as long as they guarantee a minimum number of attendees.

Is this discrimination? If so, against whom? Women, football players, non-swimmers?

You've hit the nail on the head, and yet shown why Cyclone's argument is correct.

If a swimming pool makes sessions available for private hire, which most do, then as long as they are made available equally to anybody and everybody then there is no discrimination. It doesn't matter if those sessions are then hired by women, men, blacks, whites, Scientologists, burkini clad Asians, birthday celebrants, gingers, naturists, rugby clubs, or even flabby men with no teeth who don't want to swim with women like RosyRat.

It might seem like semantics, but it isn't. There's an important distinction between private hire sessions hired by women, and sessions provided for women only. The latter is discrimination, and the former is not.

Is it a mens only rugby club, are footballers not allowed to join, or non-swimmers?

If it's a private booking then all the bets are off anyway, although the group making the booking might be discriminating I suppose.

I could pay for a Cyclone only swimming session, the fact that only I am allowed into the pool isn't the concern of the pool if I'm paying.

But we aren't talking about privately booked sessions are we.

I do care about discrimination - this thread isn't an example of it.

Really.

How about womens only gyms? (These exist). How about if we make every other tram "women only"? A lane on the motorway... A requirement to be the CEO of a company.

At which point does it become discrimination when men are excluded? Is it after you've decided so? Because I was under the impression that it was whenever people are treat differently due to their sex...

I am disappointed in myself anyway, I have let myself get roped in by the chip on the shoulder brigade. Good luck getting the men's swimming group going.

I have no chip, I'm a great advocate of equality, and equality doesn't include having exclusive sessions for either sex (or if they are required then it has to be for both).

I once went swimming at Chapeltown Baths - and we had to wait outside until the naturist swimming session had finished. :?

Well, guess what - the nudists are coming back to Chapeltown Baths in a few weeks! :)

J-xx

Presumably this is balanced as the vast majority of sessions are clothing compulsory.