Goodwin (University) swimming pool sexism

Equality, freedom, or just to make the point that 'x only' sessions are discrimination.

Why would you want a men only session? Women only sessions allow swimmers to enjoy the sport without the worry of being ogled or worse by men.

Simple really

A mens only session would enable the same thing for men.

I'd have thought that was obvious.

You've made a mistake by the way

"Women only sessions allow swimmerswomen"

Swimmers would include men and it clearly doesn't allow them to swim at that time.

A mens only session would enable the same thing for men.

I'd have thought that was obvious.

You've made a mistake by the way

"Women only sessions allow swimmerswomen"

Swimmers would include men and it clearly doesn't allow them to swim at that time.

That's understandable, but I'd say that many of the women attending the women-only sessions (at least in the pool I usually go to, which is Upperthorpe) are using those particular sessions because for religious/cultural reasons, they're not allowed to dress appropriately for swimming whilst men are around. There's a specific need and a large demand. Personally I try to avoid these sessions as they are so busy, you can't get a proper swim done.

So we as a society discriminate against men because a subsection of our society is allowed to discriminate against women... I'm not sure that's the best way to deal with the real problem.

I think its probably to do with religious groups who dont want their women to be seen by men, hence the total cover up of women in the streets (burkas, face veils, head to toe black etc)

I'm now going to make a claim which can't be proven, but for which I think there is plenty of demographic evidence ...

"There is a positive correlation between segregation of the sexes, and sexual abuse".

So we as a society discriminate against men because a subsection of our society is allowed to discriminate against women... I'm not sure that's the best way to deal with the real problem.

Well you could look at it that way, or you could see it as giving the women who are discriminated against the opportunity to get out and do something to keep fit, which they wouldn't otherwise have, making the best of a situation.

Are there any religious or cultural practices which ban men from wearing swimwear in front of women? I feel I've paved the way for some bizarre posts here,,,,,,,

Interesting to note that Cyclone is one of the most vocal defenders of feminist issues on this forum, and I would call myself a feminist too, and we are both slightly uncomfortable with the concept of "women only swimming sessions".

Whilst it might not be the most pressing feminist issue, and some feminists might actually support "women only swimming sessions", there's someting about the concept that just doesn't sit right.

I think the concept is actually symptomatic of a patriarchal society, and fits right alongside veils, niqabs and other women only events. It the long term these concepts make society more patriarchal not less.

Interesting to note that Cyclone is one of the most vocal defenders of feminist issues on this forum, and I would call myself a feminist too, and we are both slightly uncomfortable with the concept of "women only swimming sessions".

Whilst it might not be the most pressing feminist issue, and some feminists might actually support "women only swimming sessions", there's someting about the concept that just doesn't sit right.

I think the concept is actually symptomatic of a patriarchal society, and fits right alongside veils, niqabs and other women only events. It the long term these concepts make society more patriarchal not less.

Do you feel as strongly about the 'Men Only' sessions run by public and private pools alike? See my previous post for links.

Do you feel as strongly about the 'Men Only' sessions run by public and private pools alike? See my previous post for links.

I thought I made it clear that I didn't feel strongly about the issue, but yes, something doesn't sit well with me about "men only sessions" as well for precisely the same reasons given.

It doesn't matter whether those "sessions" are swimming, golf, education, religious worship, or whatever, I feel quite uneasy about segregating the sexes.

I thought I made it clear that I didn't feel strongly about the issue, but yes, something doesn't sit well with me about "men only sessions" as well for precisely the same reasons given.

It doesn't matter whether those "sessions" are swimming, golf, education, religious worship, or whatever, I feel quite uneasy about segregating the sexes.

I sympathise with this point of view, but if you look at it from the pool management's point of view, particularly where the facility is publicly owned, which is their foremost responsibility - to change oppression in our society or to provide an opportunity for women to get fit where they won't be contravening their own or imposed codes of modesty?

Just as an aside, you wouldn't believe some of the outfits that I've seen some of the ladies trying to swim in, even in the ladies only sessions. At one point the pool management had to put up posters displaying what was allowed (tee-shirts, cycling shorts - OK, full cover up billowing gown - not OK). I'm surprised no-one drowned!

I sympathise with this point of view, but if you look at it from the pool management's point of view, particularly where the facility is publicly owned, which is their foremost responsibility - to change oppression in our society or to provide an opportunity for women to get fit where they won't be contravening their own or imposed codes of modesty?

Just as an aside, you wouldn't believe some of the outfits that I've seen some of the ladies trying to swim in, even in the ladies only sessions. At one point the pool management had to put up posters displaying what was allowed (tee-shirts, cycling shorts - OK, full cover up billowing gown - not OK). I'm surprised no-one drowned!

If swimming pools are providing "women only sessions" simply to cater for a religious minority, then this makes me feel even more uneasy. I suspect pandering to this sort of imposed modesty is more likely to increase oppression in our society rather than reduce it.

If it's a choice, then fine, but we all have to live with our choices rather than expect society to pander to them. The outfits you describe can be worn just as successfully in a regular swimming session.

If it's not a choice, then pandering to their oppressors merely provides them with a bigger stick.

Besides, why does their offence carry more currency than mine? I find it quite offensive to be judged unable to control my sexual urges in a swimming pool.