Goodwin (University) swimming pool sexism

Any coach can look at a swimmer's stroke and spot things that are wrong; things that once corrected would help the swimmer become faster or make them more comfortable and relaxed. But what do you fix in what order? Where do you start and what should you leave for now? The Swim Smooth Stroke Correction Hierarchy (no it doesn't spell anything rude this time is designed to answer these questions and help coaches crystallize their thoughts and coaching methods.

I'd guess it makes sense. Men generally dont mind swimming with women. However i would guess that some women would prefer to swim without the gazes of us guys! (not that we do of course :D )

some women may only want women in the pool as to stop the gazes from men but to be honest there could be gay women gazing at them too so maybe we should have gay, lesbian, trans etc classes only too, !!!!

i myself dont care if it is mixed classes and dont feel uncomfortable in the pressence of gays, lesbians etc, men or women, i would go to swim . not worry about who is watching me cause i aint no oil painting :hihi:

My understanding of these women only events is its down to religeous reasons. Muslim women for example might not want men looking at them. Hence why some wear the Hijab.

I have no chip, I'm a great advocate of equality, and equality doesn't include having exclusive sessions for either sex (or if they are required then it has to be for both).

So the best answer is just that: besides mixed sessions, have male-only and female-only ones.

Why should anyone then have grounds to complain?

some women may only want women in the pool as to stop the gazes from men but to be honest there could be gay women gazing at them too so maybe we should have gay, lesbian, trans etc classes only too, !!!!

i myself dont care if it is mixed classes and dont feel uncomfortable in the pressence of gays, lesbians etc, men or women, i would go to swim . not worry about who is watching me cause i aint no oil painting :hihi:

Some religions deny the existence of homosexuality and therefore the gazing will be quite acceptable in their eyes.By the way not all oil-paintings(Freud,Bacon,Andex)are designed to flatter the sitter.

Ok, so men are complaining women are oggling them in their speedos? Really? I doubt it somehow. Harrassment of women by men is a very real problem which is why there are women only swim sessions and gyms. They are needed in this society to get away from the male gaze we do not want. Men can be discriminated against, but in a patriarchal society, sexism against men does not exsist. Sorry. If you men are upset about being discriminated against, I'm afraid its tough, women experience discrimination in every walk of their lives. Get over yourselves.

So the best answer is just that: besides mixed sessions, have male-only and female-only ones.

Why should anyone then have grounds to complain?

I completely agree, but of course male only sessions are never run.

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 11:35 ----------

Ok, so men are complaining women are oggling them in their speedos?

I could complain if it would make you happier.

Really? I doubt it somehow. Harrassment of women by men is a very real problem which is why there are women only swim sessions and gyms.

In the pool, it really isn't.

They are needed in this society to get away from the male gaze we do not want.

So how about when I want to swim without women looking at me?

Men can be discriminated against, but in a patriarchal society, sexism against men does not exsist.

Don't be ridiculous, sexism can and does take place against men as well as women. Equality doesn't mean giving special treatment to one sex.

Sorry. If you men are upset about being discriminated against, I'm afraid its tough, women experience discrimination in every walk of their lives. Get over yourselves.

You ask for and expect equality, except when it's inconvenient when instead you expect special treatment. Get over that and we might actually be a little closer to true equality.

I agree that in principle they should exist. But I wouldn't go out of my way to go to one unless it just happened to be occurring at a time I wanted to swim anyway. I can't imagine there would be enough interest.

Should the pool be expected to run a session if not enough people use it to make it viable?

Edited by hellfleet
spelling

I suppose commercially speaking the obvious answer is no. But commercially speaking I expect that they wouldn't loose any money by not running a womens only session either, it's a politically correct thing to do, not an economically sound thing to do.

Not sure I agree. Even if its a relatively small number of women who are not comfortable to swim in a session where men are there it'll still be a significantly larger number than men who won't swim with women.

If this group simply wouldn't swim or would swim elsewhere if this session doesn't exist then from a commercial viewpoint it should be possible to fill an otherwise quiet time and so by not running the session they wouldn't make as much money.

But then its just speculation. Women only sessions aren't a new thing.

Ok, so men are complaining women are oggling them in their speedos? Really? I doubt it somehow. Harrassment of women by men is a very real problem which is why there are women only swim sessions and gyms. They are needed in this society to get away from the male gaze we do not want. Men can be discriminated against, but in a patriarchal society, sexism against men does not exsist. Sorry. If you men are upset about being discriminated against, I'm afraid its tough, women experience discrimination in every walk of their lives. Get over yourselves.

I'm now imagining a scenario in which Rosa Parks, rather than complaining at having to sit at the back of the bus, happily sits at the back of the bus, claims it to have the best views and then tries to get white people banned from sitting there.

I'm a feminist, and believe that women should have equal rights to women. All the feminists I know also think that the reverse should be true.