The Sheffield gay scene part 2

To be fair with you, there isn't much of anything within the week. The only half good night is Saturday at Dempsey's, busy.

Well Aaron thats not quite true, there is quite a bit during the week at Affinity and Dempseys, it depends if it is to everyones taste, so below is a run down of what happens.

Monday - Demspeys do food buffet at £3, eat as much as you can, I have been to these and it a bargain

Tuesday - Dempseys have cheap drinks night, I believe its called Skint night, Affinity have free pool all night.

Wednesday - Affinity have a games night, "pick a handbag", "play your cards right" which is for money, "bingo" for prizes and cash, "crack the safe" whch is also for money, last Wednesday I won £100, also free buffet and drinks 3-4-2. Dempseys also do 3-4-2 and its karaoke night.

Thursday - not much happens this day, Dempseys do quiz night

Friday and Saturday and Sunday your usual nights.

I am sure Aaron can find something to moan about the above :P

Well Aaron thats not quite true, there is quite a bit during the week at Affinity and Dempseys, it depends if it is to everyones taste, so below is a run down of what happens.

Monday - Demspeys do food buffet at £3, eat as much as you can, I have been to these and it a bargain

Tuesday - Dempseys have cheap drinks night, I believe its called Skint night, Affinity have free pool all night.

Wednesday - Affinity have a games night, "pick a handbag", "play your cards right" which is for money, "bingo" for prizes and cash, "crack the safe" whch is also for money, last Wednesday I won £100, also free buffet and drinks 3-4-2. Dempseys also do 3-4-2 and its karaoke night.

Thursday - not much happens this day, Dempseys do quiz night

Friday and Saturday and Sunday your usual nights.

I am sure Aaron can find something to moan about the above :P

AH well depends what your personal taste is really.

I don't like going to bars if they are empty and through the week that is what the bars are.

I don't like going to bars if they are empty and through the week that is what the bars are.

It does depend on your taste and some just like clubbing all weekend or on the "pull".

The weekdays are quieter, which you would expect anyway, more chance to win the money :)

I wouldnt say the bars are empty, they have less people in :)

Sounds like a bargain. How's the food? We peered through the window walking past on Monday and could only see pie!

Also, not sure if you know, but CLimax is also on Friday and is the best we offer on a monthly basis!

Unfortunately Climax clashes with ****** (the forum wants to censor this word but that's what the clubnight is called! It rhymes with "swollox") so I'll probably miss the next one. There used to be an all day Climax for summer, does this still happen?

No one been to Prism then? I read about a night called Rumours, has that disappeared?

Edited by justtev

Perhaps Simon and Gary might be interested in re-opening that nice old pub the Matilda as a gay/TV bar? I believe it was such in the past ...

I remember the Matilda; it was a shame that it closed but that was mainly because it briefly became a straight pub that didnt like gay customers after when it was a gay bar; then it was closed to convert it into flats but that never happened.

If I ever have the money to do so I would reopen it as a Gay venue, it would be great as it is near the Arts Quarter...

The night ******: Was that something affinity tried to do, as I know they had plans for Friday nights, and one Friday each month clashes with Climax?

Re. Summer Climax; I think that is happening in July; also the OFFICIAL PRIDE AFTERRPARTY on Sat June 2nd is being organised by Climax, I think at the HUBS.

Finally: See you all at IDAHO, INTERNATIONAL DAY AGAINST HOMOPHOBIA at the Peace garden, outside Town Hall, Sheffield, TODAY THURSDAY 17 MAY, at 5pm!

Yes and there are also other good things on the Sheffield Gay scene ..

- Dempseys runs a pub quiz followed by a music disco quiz followed by Karaoke on a Tuesday Night.

- Dempseys run Karaoke nights also on a friday and a sunday night and sometimes it can even start spontaneously in the downstairs bar.

- Affinity run a bears night on a certain Friday every month and also a women only night (obviously on another friday night!)

- Affinity Friday and Sat nights can be particularly busy with music from DJ Dan, a busy dance floor and I think a drag DJ on Sunday nights.

- Affinity are also branching out into other areas such as theatre - there is a play on there called The Shepley Spitfires on 24th-26th May at 7pm. Dempseys have also been known to run plays such as Oscar Wilde ones in the past in their upstairs bar.

- It would be really good if someone would run a gay art exhibition around the time of Pride thus showing that Sheffield scene is so much more cultural than other cities ! Access space has shown work by gay artists in the past.

- Dempseys runs a pub quiz followed by a music disco quiz followed by Karaoke on a Tuesday Night.

- Dempseys run Karaoke nights also on a friday and a sunday night and sometimes it can even start spontaneously in the downstairs bar.

- Affinity run a bears night on a certain Friday every month and also a women only night (obviously on another friday night!)

- Affinity Friday and Sat nights can be particularly busy with music from DJ Dan, a busy dance floor and I think a drag DJ on Sunday nights.

- Affinity are also branching out into other areas such as theatre - there is a play on there called The Shepley Spitfires on 24th-26th May at 7pm. Dempseys have also been known to run plays such as Oscar Wilde ones in the past in their upstairs bar.

- It would be really good if someone would run a gay art exhibition around the time of Pride thus showing that Sheffield scene is so much more cultural than other cities ! Access space has shown work by gay artists in the past.

So just to clarify in this city of 555,000 people there are 2 bars to choose from, thanks. Affinity is rarely busy and everyone knows that Dempseys is really the only place worth going.

Sheffield is OK for the odd night out but I prefer to save a few quid and go to Manchester, Leeds or Birmingham and stay at a cheap hotel. Adds £50 to your night but it's well worth it.

Oh and re the art exhibition, we are not more cultural. If anything Sheffield is backwards. It can hardly support a restaurant that charges more than £20 for a main course let alone anything cultured!

I remember the Matilda; it was a shame that it closed but that was mainly because it briefly became a straight pub that didnt like gay customers after when it was a gay bar; then it was closed to convert it into flats but that never happened.

If I ever have the money to do so I would reopen it as a Gay venue, it would be great as it is near the Arts Quarter...

The night ******: Was that something affinity tried to do, as I know they had plans for Friday nights, and one Friday each month clashes with Climax?

Re. Summer Climax; I think that is happening in July; also the OFFICIAL PRIDE AFTERRPARTY on Sat June 2nd is being organised by Climax, I think at the HUBS.

Finally: See you all at IDAHO, INTERNATIONAL DAY AGAINST HOMOPHOBIA at the Peace garden, outside Town Hall, Sheffield, TODAY THURSDAY 17 MAY, at 5pm!

Me and my dog are going to try to get a bus across Sheffield on June 2nd to go to Sheffield Pride. I will save 3 quid to get in. WIll you be performing Tyranna - I think with the Jubilee weekend thas innit you should dress as the queen :love:?

Sorry no, ****** is in Manchester

Eh up - so tha' understand there is a parade starting at 10.30 at top of Ecclesall Road and it will go down that road to the park ? Can anyone join in? I am painting a rainbow cover top for my dog to mark the day .. what the 'ell ... and can you bring your own tinnies in t'park or is it Q only at the beer stall ?

Hi Roger,

I have been to some of those nights you have mentioned and I think you must be on the wrong lines somewhere.

The bear night at Affinity is on the Climax Friday and I have been there 'accidentally' and the place was dead. They do not know how to set up a 'fetish/alternative' night.

As for Friday and Saturday's, I have been often to Affinity and the place is just dead. It's no over reaction, but the place struggles to get into double figures for customers.

I have said it 100 times and I'll say it again, the place lacks everything. The door fee is just a rip off and when you are paying 50p/£1 extra a drink compared to Dempsey's, then you just have to stop what you are doing and forget about the place.

Bottle of lager (what I drink) is well over £3, whilst at Dempsey's it's under £3. As for other drinks I find the shots an absolute joke, you get much less for 75p more.

As for theatre nights, could be something in that, seen as the place is very close to Crucible and Lyceum.

moan moan moan.... thats all people do on here.

So the burning question is ; why is the Sheffield gay scene crap for a city this size ?

Answer = because the gay population do no support the existing venues, and this stops the city from growing into a bigger gay scene.

A investor is not going to plow money into something new (eg gay pub/club) when no bugger supports what is already there.

Don`t go round blaming the pubs for this and that, blame yourselves.

Look at how many will turn up at Sheffield Gay Pride this Saturday ?, are they supporting the gay scene ? = I bet alot done.

Rant over.