The Sheffield gay scene part 2

Just a reminder, Folks.

CLIMAX, THIS FRIDAY, 16th March.

There appears to be no specific theme, but as it is just the night before St. Patrick's day, I think it would be great for as many as possible to dress up in GREEN!

There is a LIVE P.A. from 'New Shoes' girlband from Britains Got Talent, so that makes it s somewhat special night to come along! Tickets £4.50 adv, £5 OTD.

Also, the new Gay Mens' Social Group SOUND OUT is coming along in leaps and bounds; we are planning a number of events including a 5-MILE SPONSORED WALK and a LAUNCH PARTY in April at Lions Lair, watch this space for further details.

Finally, Many Thanks for those who turned up for the SHEFFIELD PRIDE FUNDRAISER last Friday just gone, at LIMIT BAR. Sorry about the lack of advance notice, but people were rushing around last minute trying to do so many things at once, and I only got roped in the night before; by all accounts a reasonable amount of money was raised on the door and at the raffle, and a very big thanks to managers and staff at the LIMIT for enabling us to put on a great night.

Watch this space for further Pride Fundraising events...:love:

Anyone go to Dempsey's at the weekend?

I went Saturday and is it just me, but is the place getting a lot less busier? I don't go that often now and seems a lot less busier than usual for a Saturday?

I know I have mentioned this hundreds of times and I'll mention it again, but the music gets worse and worse as the night goes on and other people say so. It gets to about 3, then in my personal opinion, I think the DJ just plays what he wants. The music goes away from the usual pop stuff that Dempsey's is about and turns into non-dancey stuff. It stayed like this for a good hour, so I decided to just go, because it was utter crap that the DJ was playing. I honestly can't see why they do not understand this?!

On a good note for them, the prices have been a lot better, I think they have a few weekend offers that are useful.

Climax on Friday, got some singers on from X-Factor, so should be a bit different I suppose!

In a break from the old routine, Out of Office are relaunching with a brand new feel and a brand new event.

On Friday 23 March, Out of Office will be heading to 23 Bar and Restaurant in West One, Devonshire Green, for an event with a twist. We've had an injection of new blood on the committee, so we want as many new people as possible to come along, and meet some new faces. So what better way to get people talking than an event based on just that? The Out of Office Speed Social.

We'll provide the questions, you'll bring the answers. Like Speed Dating, you'll keep on moving between groups, meeting new people each time, and get the chance to meet other people. Some may be like minded, some may be different, but variety is the key. And above all we promise it will be fun, interesting, never dull and a great way to get involved if you haven't been before, or a great way to reconnect if you have.

RSVP by searching Sheffield Out of Office on Facebook, and click on the link to the event on our group page. Like us on Facebook to make sure you are kept abreast of our future events.

If you can't access Facebook, you can RSVP on eventbrite at http://sheffoutoffice1.eventbrite.com

Let's see you all there!

Anyone go to Dempsey's at the weekend?

I went Saturday and is it just me, but is the place getting a lot less busier? I don't go that often now and seems a lot less busier than usual for a Saturday?

I know I have mentioned this hundreds of times and I'll mention it again, but the music gets worse and worse as the night goes on and other people say so. It gets to about 3, then in my personal opinion, I think the DJ just plays what he wants. The music goes away from the usual pop stuff that Dempsey's is about and turns into non-dancey stuff. It stayed like this for a good hour, so I decided to just go, because it was utter crap that the DJ was playing. I honestly can't see why they do not understand this?!

On a good note for them, the prices have been a lot better, I think they have a few weekend offers that are useful.

Climax on Friday, got some singers on from X-Factor, so should be a bit different I suppose!

I've noticed a decline in numbers attending gay clubs all over, both here and in Ireland. I'm surprised that it has even affected Dempseys, as there are few people in on previously busy nights at both Club Xes and Affinity, although given a chance, numbers should start to rise as Summer comes along.

CLIMAX seems to be as busy as ever, however. easily enough people to fill Dempseys, Affinity and Xes to capacity, although that is only once a month.

BTW, the Live PA tonight is the girlband TWO SHOES (Not 'New Shoes') as I wrongly posted before.

I have visited Sheffield several times visiting friends. I want to The two gay bars I have heard about.

I went to Affinity and was disapointed.

The staff seemed friendle enough, the music was too loud (must be getting old!) and there was about 3 people in.

After we went to Dempseys and that was much better.

Whe venue was busier and more welcoming, the door people take the security of there customers very seriously. This made me feel reassured.

We are spoiled with the number and choice of bars we have in Blackpool.

I wish the good citizens of Sheffield good luck in getting their scene built up. :thumbsup:

Make sure you keep your RSVP's coming for this Friday's Speed Social at 23 Bar and Restaurant, West One, Devonshire Green.

Join us from 6pm onwards, where you will be randomly mixing between groups of people and answering random questions against the clock. It's a perfect way to meet new people, grab a beer or two and start your weekend in a fun yet irreverent way!

You can RSVP via Facebook by searching for Sheffield Out of Office, or by clicking the link to our eventbrite page. Over 40 people are already signed up, but we have plenty of room so what do you have to lose?

http://sheffoutoffice1.eventbrite.com/?nomo=1

The Outofoffice event tonight sounds good. BTW if I have an Arts degree and am recognised as a professional performer (I am a member of the professional association for actors EQUITY), am I entitled to join Outofoffice? Or is it just for specifically OFFICE-BASED 'professions' only?

The Outofoffice event tonight sounds good. BTW if I have an Arts degree and am recognised as a professional performer (I am a member of the professional association for actors EQUITY), am I entitled to join Outofoffice? Or is it just for specifically OFFICE-BASED 'professions' only?

Eyup Tyranna love .. I don't see why you don't qualify ..:love: in my opinion an office these days is anywhere that you work and more and more work is classed as a profession. If you are a professional at what you do then I don't see why you cant go along - it will be a "Lively" meeting I'm sure and you will be the liveliest thing there all evening I bet. Maybe I might even go along for a squint at what Sheffield has to offer in office based gay people myself so long as the drink is good :hihi:

Hi,

I stumbled upon this song and it's been on repeat ever since. I thought I'd share it as I l:love:ve it :) It's called Gay Pirates by Cosmo Jarvis. Stephen Fry called "Gay Pirates", Jarvis' fourth single, "wonderful" and put a link to its video on his Twitter feed, and I totally agree, I love it love it love it :)

Hey up Tyranna - are you performing anywhere in Sheffield for Easter ;-) x ? Im thinking of going to Dempseys for Easter SUnday night if there is Karaoke on !

It has been discussed fairly regularly here but Sheffield Pride is to charge for the first time in 2012......

http://www.sheffieldpride.org.uk/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=53&cntnt01returnid=99

A Statement from the Chair

Dear Pride Supporters

Pride 2012 is becoming one of the most challenging Pride events so far – but it is also going to be the biggest and most exciting! This year we are having our very first “Pride Parade” - in fact the very first Pride Parade in Sheffield. The parade will progress up Ecclesall road starting at 10.30 and finish in Endcliffe Park for 12.00pm and opening the event. All of Sheffield’s gay venues are taking part and will hopefully be bringing a float, as well as bands, performers and walkers joining in along the way - a loud and colourful spectacle not to be missed.

Our event is growing in popularity so much so that there has been an increase of visitors and attendees year on year, making us the biggest Pride in South Yorkshire! That is, as I am sure you will agree, just what we wanted to achieve and nothing less than what the LGBT community and their supporters in Sheffield deserve and have waited a long time for.

All these improvements, however, bring with them increased expense and the need to provide more services for the visitors and attendees then we have ever had to before such as toilets, security, clean-up, first aid and so on. As most of you will know Sheffield Pride is a non-profit event that relies totally on donations, fund raising, sponsors and any local grants that are available. Last year’s event cost a little over £20,000 and there looks to be a significant increase to that this year, owing largely to increased responsibilities laid on us by the success of last year. Due to the economic climate and cut backs that are affecting everybody we are finding it extremely difficult to raise the kind of money we need and with this in mind the committee has made the decision to introduce an entry charge. This is something we never wanted to do and has always been our intention to provide a free event but it is impossible to cover the increasing costs.

Below are some frequently asked questions, the answers to which I hope you will find useful:

What will my admission be spent on?

As stated above there has been a steady increase in visitors to the event over the last 3 years and increased visitor numbers mean higher expense in terms of event facilities,clean up and security costs.

How much will I have to pay?

Advance adult admission (14 yrs old and over) will be £3.00. Children under 14 yrs old who are accompanied by an adult (over 18) will be admitted for free. On the door entry will be £3.00 for adult admissions. It is recommended that to avoid queuing and to reduce your admission price you buy your tickets in advance.

What about entertainment? Will my fee be paying for this?

I know some people will say get some decent acts on stage, this is something we would love to do if we have the funds to pay for them. The entry fees will go towards the cost of this year’s event and future events and eventually we will be able to have some headline acts. Therefore you should consider your entry fee an investment in the future of Sheffield Pride.

Will there be a charge for Mini Pride and the Parade?

No. Both the Mini Pride event and the parade will remain free for attendees.

We hope you will agree the cost of entry is quite nominal and I am sure that the vast majority will be more then happy to pay the price to attend and be part of a celebration of LGBT achievements.

Tickets sales will launch at Mini Pride (31 March 2012) and at various city centre venues please see details on our web site and on Facebook.

Finally, I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing you at one of Sheffield Pride’s many events.

Best wishes,

Kath Housley

Chair, Sheffield Pride

Again, went out on Friday night and ventured to Affinity for first time in ages and I have to be very honest, getting really annoyed with this place.

You get there and there are something like 10-15 people in and you have a door fee of £2. Not acceptable, but i suppose you can support it now and again. I go to bar and buy 4 shots of Sambuca (not all for me, I am not an alcoholic) and I expected it to be £8, of course not, all 4 cost me £10, in fact it was some sort of deal as usually one hsot costs £2.75, absolute joke. Not to mention the shot glasses are tiny. I am generally losing the patience with how expensive a empty bar is!

As for Pride - No opinion really. I just shall not be going! The board on this are idiots, fact.