The Sheffield gay scene part 2

I have heard that Affinity is doing a World Aids Day fund raising night on Thursday Dec 1st and that Dempseys may be doing something similar.

Thats marvellous! I am not gay myself and I know that AIDS affects a lot more groups these days than just the gays.

As a matter of interest does anyone know which AIDS charities Affinity and Dempseys will be donating to on the night - and will all their takings go towards the charity - if so I might turn up ...

FRIDAY 2ND DECEMBER: PRISM

Sheffield's only LGBT indie/alt/electro night @ Raynor Lounge, Sheffield Students' union.

After our successful opening night in September PRISM is back with later opening hours and a twist - MIX-TAPE EXCHANGE

Mix tape exchange (bring along CD mix and swap with someone else's for a free, new mix of music)

For facebook event search 'PRISM mix tape exchange'

TICKETS:

£2.00 in advance

-Online (details available on facebook event page)

-Direct from Sheffield Uni Students' Union Box Office

£2.50 entry on the door

I have heard that Affinity is doing a World Aids Day fund raising night on Thursday Dec 1st and that Dempseys may be doing something similar.

Thats marvellous! I am not gay myself and I know that AIDS affects a lot more groups these days than just the gays.

As a matter of interest does anyone know which AIDS charities Affinity and Dempseys will be donating to on the night - and will all their takings go towards the charity - if so I might turn up ...

I doubt all their takings could go the charity. Working on 70% profit it would not be unreasonable to expect say 50% of drink sales to be donated.

It would be interesting to know if Affinity's performers are working voluntarily to so as to maximise any charitable donaton. As usual the flyer for these events is predictably vague. Maybe I am sceptical, but I would like any fundraising bar to prove me wrong and reply differently.

At many charity events a lot of the artists will do them for free. I've been part of a charity due a few years ago and the artists was more than happy to just do it for expenses.

Agree with the poster that Affinity done is vahue and pretty poor. They really do need to hire someone with computer skills to be able to create posters to a decent enough standard. Funnily enough I did comment on the poster they was advertising on Facebook, tell them this.

With both Dempsey's and Affinity doing something similar on both nights I can only see a struggle for both or one particulary. Even with it being for such a good cause, people still don't want to get themselves out in the week. I think Affinity may just get a few in on that day as they have so many acts performing. I think Penny Change is on AGAIN, not only has she been on in Affinity not so long ago, but also in Dempsey's last month!

Not sure what will happen donations wise. I don't think either bar will want to run at a loss for the night, I'd just imagine that the door fee from both will be donated along with a small percentage of the sales of drinks and profits from raffles and so on.

Hopefully be a good night.

Oh, and something else. All this news about the new LIMIT 'Bar' (http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=896141) sounds interesting; I assumed that it was going to be a nightclub but it appears at least to begin with it will be a bar serving food until the evening. Anyone know if it is going to be a 'Gay-Friendly' bar with the odd Gay Night? This was the impression I originally got from their Facebook Page which first appeared several months ago.

I have been doing my research on the Affinity night - apparently it is contributing the princely sum of 10p per drink to the charity and a pound from the door :S wondering whether to go now .. oh Tyranna what if the Limit Bar is not gay friendly - will all the gays be barred then ?

I have been doing my research on the Affinity night - apparently it is contributing the princely sum of 10p per drink to the charity and a pound from the door :S wondering whether to go now .. oh Tyranna what if the Limit Bar is not gay friendly - will all the gays be barred then ?

A very sad effort if that is the case. Pretty much sums up many of my previous posts! I hope Dempsey's have a better plan and if so everyone should be sure of where they are supporting.

When it comes to the question of fund raising for pride too, a few people have been notable by their absence of a response.

A slightly trolling effort on The Limit (unless you meant it in jest!), but I very much doubt they plan on barring gays, look at Players and Steelhouse, they are full of em ;)

On a positive note at least Tyranna has joined Equity, because there is not a cat in hells chance of anyone paying her! Maybe we can object to her karaoke on the grounds she is a pro, and the other people find it unfair

Edited by jamesogt

Can everyone please be a little bit more considerate when handing out opinions on these threads.

Thank you.

Anyway, the Affinity show was a GREAT Success,

And how much money was raised?

And how much money was raised?

Every time you ask about fundraising efforts you seem to get the same response....

It's oh so quiet.......

Every time you ask about fundraising efforts you seem to get the same response....

It's oh so quiet.......

yes they did raise quite a bit, more than Dempseys but then they didn`t put anything on.