The Sheffield gay scene part 2

Well I am surprised Tia Anna has not been on here informing us all she is appearing at Dempseys Charity Night Tonight.

Also there is Penny Change, a male stripper, games and raffles.

You all cannot miss the legend she is Tia Anna (trust me thats someone elses words on facebook not mine)

http://www.facebook.com/events/286528251387288/

Yes, I am here! Don't miss the HIV Charity Night at Dempseys; I will be doing a couple of songs.

FYI, also remember that Transgender remembrance day is on THIS SUNDAY the 20th November. I don't know if anything specific is planned in Sheffield, but you can find out from the Centre for Sexual Health (CHIV).

Do you know exactly what time you will be performing so people can plan accordingly ?

Do you know exactly what time you will be performing so people can plan accordingly ?

Tia Ana was due to perform at 9.00, but he was late for his own performance. Got switched to 11.00 I believe.

I went at 10.15ish when no one has been on. I think thats when I left anyway.

Tia Ana was due to perform at 9.00, but he was late for his own performance. Got switched to 11.00 I believe.

I went at 10.15ish when no one has been on. I think thats when I left anyway.

How very professional :hihi:

Tia Ana was due to perform at 9.00...

I went at 10.15ish

that's what I meant by planning :hihi:

How very professional :hihi:

indeed had I been the venue manager I wouldn't have let the performance continue.

Re: the whole pride entry fees

I think that one of the problems with charging a entrance fee is that the council has regulations around this sort of thing if i remember rightly

because it is public access land there are regulations around this sort of thing I do agree however that pride does need an attitude shift but I'm not so sure this is a local problem as a problem with pride in general, just after this years Pride I wrote about my opinions on the pride movement as it currently stands as of yet i've seen nothing that changes my mind:

http://nomcom.info/2011/07/26/when-is-pride-no-longer-pride/

An interesting perspective. Manchester definitely does manage to make reference to the struggles of the past, often having guests and speakers during their acts, the most memorable being Sir Ian Mckellen who gave a long speech during the Saturday evening of the pride event to about 10,000 people. They also have a lot of events in the smaller Sackville Park and the week is ended with a candlelight vigil.

Maybe Sheffield should take some pointers from them. They use public access land and manage to charge. There is no way Sheffield could charge £20 as they do but even a nominal fee would help the finances greatly. As I have pointed out before the money coming from the venues is negligible and donations on the day are not much better. If compulsory payment was not possible, station people at all the entrances and make it optional, giving a band to those that donate. If you still only raise minimal amounts then maybe people are saying they have no interest in supporting an event?

Maybe the council/committee should be less focused on it being a community event and more of a Gay Pride event? I have linked below Manchester's press release, maybe our council can see what can be achieved with the right backing.

http://www.manchesterpride.com/press/release.aspx?ID=1567

If Nick Clegg can offer such backing to Manchester, has anyone approached him here?

http://www.manchesterpride.com/press/release.aspx?ID=1485

There must be provision for charging admission to public land. If not someone needs to stop Cliffhanger charging an arm and a leg on Millhouses Park!

There must be provision for charging admission to public land. If not someone needs to stop Cliffhanger charging an arm and a leg on Millhouses Park!

I imagine that there is in some form I just remember there being discussions around limitations on it at some point

There is no point in trying to even change Sheffield Pride, because it'll never happen.

Like mentioned you or any other city is not gonig to match Manchester Pride and Sheffield will definitely not be selling Pride tickets/wristbands for £20.

Pay a couple of quid to see a decent act? Like? Hull pride saw people pay £1 (I think) to see Vengaboys. I have to be honest, I am in no rush to see downgraded/once was acts like those or something silly like Steps or A1, etc.

Also to mention the scene is getting clogged up with too many events these days. You have Climax/Gay in attic/Revolution and is most definitely too crowded, along with Affinity's poor attempts to compete. I can't say I really want to entertain that bar any more than I do at the daft prices for alcohol and the silly door fee.

I think generally Dempsey's is improvng a lot. Prices are reasonable and the slight upgrade is making things look better (especially downstairs), even though if it looked worse than it does.... people would still go! Heard from the organ grinder that upstairs will soon be next on the agenda.

In other news Gale in Birmingham has gone into admin....

Sheffield Pride is only a few years old, and the momentum it has is great. These events are run on a much smaller scale than Manchester/London/Brighton, who themselves you will note are far more scaled down than in earlier years.

its important Sheffield continues to have a Pride and that Pride pays its way. To have a headline act would be great, as even if it is someone cheaper and cheesy, it does give some people incentive to go. Last years Doncaster line up of Liz McLarnon, Toyah, S Club 3 and Adam Rickett was great for the facty it was tongue in cheek but also a good excuse to go and see some acts less likely to be on a bill together.

I met some of the organisers of Pride recently and how they stay so motivated in the face of so many doubters is inspiring. Getting involved in organising community groups and events is exhasuting, as so many people think that things could be done better, but that is in the face of having no knowledge of how much time it takes and how many doors are closed in your face all the time, which is so demoralising.

Perhaps Pride should do what nottingham did, and have the entrances manned and a suggested donation fee with lots of people stood around. there is nothing like shame to entice a donation. Also, dont hand over a programme of events to non-donators, as then they wont know when the acts are on or offers for post pride parties? Its an idea.

And I note that people are now complaining about too much choice for LGBT events now in Sheffield. On the same forum where everyone has been bemoaning the limited options for years. Lets collectively give up....