The Sheffield gay scene part 2

And its going to get better, some changes coming up :D

Also, from today till closing time sunday, all the draught pints are £2.50.

That has got my attention, a trip Friday night is on the cards.

That has got my attention, a trip Friday night is on the cards.

Hope to see you, as I said, you will be more than welcome.

yes I noticed this as well, problem there is alot of pubs are "for open minded people". But since they no longer stock any "Shout magazines" it was obvious it was heading down the "more straight" route.

That is partially my point. It is similar to 'straight' clubs doing midweek 'Gay' nights just so they can get a few more people in on a Wednesday night, happy to take the money but not to be associated with the label.

If it is going to be Gay friendly then they shouldn't be ashamed of it and their open minded customers shouldn't be offended by Shout or other gay publications.

It is just a relatively feeble attempt to keep the little gay support they have going. All the people I speak to still say they may pop in, but in general they stick to Dempseys late night now. On top of that missing Freshers week be it for gay or straight students must be suicide, Sheffield Parties could have packed that out after all their Embrace events.

It is similar to 'straight' clubs doing midweek 'Gay' nights just so they can get a few more people in on a Wednesday night, happy to take the money but not to be associated with the label.

When straight clubs do gay nights, it comes about by a gay promoter approaching them to hire the club. It's usually predominantly for the gay community, but being a business, the aim is obviously to maximise profit - for both the promoter & club. Clubs are happy to declare it's a gay night, but don't shout about it because the marketing's down to the promoter.

If it is going to be Gay friendly then they shouldn't be ashamed of it and their open minded customers shouldn't be offended by Shout or other gay publications.

Are there any publications covering straight lifestlyes?

The Lord Roberts in Nottingham is mixed in the day, predominantly gay at night. They dont differentiate between gay & straight publications, and also have non-pub/club booklets, such as for the theatre. I've only ever seen one person looking 'disturbed' by something gay, as most people don't care these days.

However, the purpose of a business is to maximise profit. Evening 'straight' lager drinkers are more likely to display a macho image than coffee-drinking old ladies in the day. A venue's image isn't based on shame or offence, but profit.

The other aspect to take into account is that publications take up standing space, i.e. they reduce the number of customers that can comfortably fit in.

It is just a relatively feeble attempt to keep the little gay support they have going.

They're welcoming all - you wouldn't want a venue to discriminate, would you?

I appreciate your disdain for a shrinking gay scene, but if business isn't about profit, it's about loss.

It takes much longer for people to be comfortable with their sexualities than most appreciate - especially older or less macho people, who've seen discrimination and learnt to act differently in straight situations. These days, however, you can usually go to a straight place and be yourself - even being out. If someone of any sexuality attracts attention, they get singled out - but if comfortable with your sexuality, in the case of most people, you don't need to be flamboyant.

The only advantage of gay venues that I see are people you know, and being fairly sure that the guy you fancy is gay.

Are there any publications covering straight lifestlyes?

The other aspect to take into account is that publications take up standing space, i.e. they reduce the number of customers that can comfortably fit in.

Loads, there is nuts, loaded, GQ Exposed etc. I am not saying they need to have shelves of any publication, but having a few on the bar like they used to do shouldn't cause much of a space problem. Had they never been there it would be different, as it is they have chosen to remove them, which in turn suggests they think there is something wrong with them.

However, the purpose of a business is to maximise profit. Evening 'straight' lager drinkers are more likely to display a macho image than coffee-drinking old ladies in the day. A venue's image isn't based on shame or offence, but profit.

They're welcoming all - you wouldn't want a venue to discriminate, would you?

I appreciate your disdain for a shrinking gay scene, but if business isn't about profit, it's about loss.

The only advantage of gay venues that I see are people you know, and being fairly sure that the guy you fancy is gay.

Of course it has to make money, what I question is wether this marketing of 'Open minded' is of any benefit to the gay community. I think not. Sheffield has a very accepting straight scene as I have stated many times before. That is partially it's demise, you can happily go to Plug/Leadmill/West st and have a good night out with no problems, you will also see lots of regular faces that may frequent Dempseys later in the evening.

There is clearly only one gay venue in Sheffield that makes good profit, and that is because it offers what people want and in turn provides a safe place for people that may not be comfortable either with their sexuality or being in Straight venues.

If you want to take part in Gay Pride, offer Gay student nights etc then I think you should be a little more clear in your strategy.

For example the business I work for provided all the volunteers and commitee members with £500 of drink and food as a small incentive to get volunteers, we also had 2 stands. I would be interested to know the break down of certain venues contributions that held 'fundraisers' where profits went to the event. Looking at some of them held I would be surprised if some of the venues reached £100, though they are more than happy to be associated with it in return for a payday on the day of the event. Do you think Manchester or Brighton Pride got as big as they are without substantial contributions from the businesses involved?

On a brighter note there are 2 new nights coming soon, though only 'nights'.

Rumour at the HUBS starts on Friday,

and then Gay in the Attic at Replica is soon to follow on the first Friday in November. Both have pages on Facebook.

wish we had a gud gay club to go to bring back fuel

what about the good old Cossack, god it's missed!, even though it was only a pub not a club

what about the good old Cossack, god it's missed!, even though it was only a pub not a club

Loved that place, it was just a pub that happned to be (mostly) gay, it used to be packed some night, even mid-week.

Well, you would be made more than welcome at the sportsman, no matter what your orientation :thumbsup:

Yes, I've found the Sportsman a very friendly pub; they also have been hosting regular cabarets from PENNY CHANGE, the One And Only.

Watch out for me at RUMOUR this Friday; nice to hear that there is also another (competing?) night at Replica.

Maybe there is a potential of a 'village' atmosphere around the Lions Lair/Affinity/Sportsman/Replica area, even if a lot of it is only just one-nighters:hihi:

Finally, remember OFF THE SHELF Literature Festival has some Gay events, most notably the launch of the Friends Of Edward Carpenter group with readings and some music at the Crucible on the 18th October. See http://www.friendsofedwardcarpenter.co.uk for more info about the group and the event.

SO who went to the Hubs last night? Be nice to hear what people have to say about it.

I went to Dempsey's on Saturday night and more than ever noticed the terrible music yet again.

Dempsey's is a pop place, but yet the DJ seems to play his own mixes, stuff like trance, RnB and hardhouse. I really do not go to Dempsey's to listen to this. I only say this because I have noticed it more than ever this weekend and is really annoying. This is not to mention the fact that as soon as that DJ came off, the pop and cheesy stuff was restored.

Every weekend I find myself with a dilemma of where to go on a Saturday night, but if the music continues the way it does at Dempsey's, then I shall be stopping going as regular. I've gone from going every weekeknd to only going once or twice a month, probably will only be once a month (climax after party) if music carries on like it does.

A real shame actually, been pretty impressed with the changes too.

SO who went to the Hubs last night? Be nice to hear what people have to say about it.

Didn't go as I was at work. But the pictures are on their facebook page. By no means did it look rammed, but there were a few there.