The Sheffield gay scene part 2

Hey,

My Brother and his partner (of 6 months) are visiting me in Sheffield next week for a few days and I was curious to know of any places to visit or even perhaps avoid when they arrive?

I've not lived in Sheffield too long myself and if truth be told I've not done much research into whether Sheffield is going to be acceptable for them to come to or not. I'll be honest, I am ignorant myself but have started opening my eyes to Gay culture now, but I was hoping for your opinions on the best places to go to (with them both) and best places to avoid. I understand that there are still some extremely narrow minded individuals out there that would love to pick a fight with either of them for holding hands or kissing publicly for instance.

Thank you very much, Kevin.

And the winner of oddest post goes to........Kevin!

-Not come to an entire city maybe as they are gay, wow.

-There are a lot of safe places. Would I take them to Page Hall no. But the city centre, West st, Ecclesall road and surrounding all perfectly 'safe'.

-PDA's are not always appropriate for straights, gay, bi, trans or other.

-You could always try Dempseys as a bar which is Sheffields best gay offering.

-This weekend is also Sheffield pride, maybe pop along and see for yourself how the community is here.

There's no need for a 'scene' in Sheffield, hence a city of its size only having 2 gay bars (OMG and Dempseys). I have always found most places to be accommodating to the gay community - especially Division Street. It's also Pride this Saturday.

Perhaps your brother and his partner might enjoy something that isn't focused on sexuality....Museums, Endcliffe Park, Meadowhall perhaps?

I agree with Mister M. Don't patronize them, they are people like everyone else and will like the city and all it's attractions i'm sure.

Is there a parade fir pride in sheffield

There's no need for a 'scene' in Sheffield, hence a city of its size only having 2 gay bars (OMG and Dempseys). I have always found most places to be accommodating to the gay community - especially Division Street. It's also Pride this Saturday.

The vast majority of venues are now welcoming of everyone irrespective of who they love. It really has become a non-issue.

Personally I find it encouraging that LGBT venues are closing down.

Society has come a long way. The days of being frogmarched out of a venue for showing affection to the same sex are long gone.

Sheffield is reasonably welcoming. However, I would steer clear of the larger pubs on West Street on a Saturday night. I'd also give Dempseys a wide berth, there are so many much nicer places to go.

Tell them to visit Boiler room on attercliff ;).

LGBT venues in Sheffield never really reach critical mass, unlike Leeds or Manchester. I don't think this is because sexual orientation is no longer an issue. I can tell you it's still an issue in parts of Sheffield outside the centre, that's for sure. If it were a dead issue,by that logic, wouldn't the LGBT districts of other cities have vanished too? I'd prefer if LGBT folk were indeed allowed to display the same affection that straight people take for granted. We are definitely not there yet.

LGBT venues in Sheffield never really reach critical mass, unlike Leeds or Manchester. I don't think this is because sexual orientation is no longer an issue. I can tell you it's still an issue in parts of Sheffield outside the centre, that's for sure. If it were a dead issue,by that logic, wouldn't the LGBT districts of other cities have vanished too? I'd prefer if LGBT folk were indeed allowed to display the same affection that straight people take for granted. We are definitely not there yet.

The heyday of Sheffield's gay scene was definitely the late 1990s, although admittedly much of it was up Attercliffe.

There have been so many attempts over the last 15 years (I can think of 8 off the top of my head), where pubs / clubs have started up, but haven't been able to sustain it for much longer than 6 - 12 months.

I know quite a few gay people from Sheffield who regularly go over to Manchester of a weekend to enjoy Canal Street. Some have found jobs in Manchester and decided to relocate there.

I wouldn't want to do that, as I'm settled in Sheffield. However I can understand the attraction of Manchester, and all it has to offer when compared to Sheffield. Having said that, many other towns and cities are in the same position as Sheffield.

Like you, I think the idea that Sheffield has no gay scene to speak of because 'straight venues, and its punters are so welcoming' is a load of guff.

The heyday of Sheffield's gay scene was definitely the late 1990s, although admittedly much of it was up Attercliffe.

There have been so many attempts over the last 15 years (I can think of 8 off the top of my head), where pubs / clubs have started up, but haven't been able to sustain it for much longer than 6 - 12 months.

I think one reason various bars fail so fast is they just offer the same environment, music and expensive drinks as every other venue. Why should the existing audience go looking for exactly the same somewhere else? I'd like to see a pub/cafe type venue with a musical palette that includes more alternative/guitar/electro for instance. This end of things is almost never catered for in the LGBT scene. Retro Bar in central London is a good model for what I'm thinking of.

I think one reason various bars fail so fast is they just offer the same environment, music and expensive drinks as every other venue. Why should the existing audience go looking for exactly the same somewhere else? I'd like to see a pub/cafe type venue with a musical palette that includes more alternative/guitar/electro for instance. This end of things is almost never catered for in the LGBT scene. Retro Bar in central London is a good model for what I'm thinking of.

I think you make a very good point. The gay scene in most places seems to concentrate on pubs / clubs. There should be space for something which isn't alcohol fuelled. I know that some places reserve 1 or 2 days a week that are for the LBG community. That would probably be more viable as Sheffield struggles to maintain anything more than 2 venues for the LBG people.

I remember years ago there used to be a project called the 'Shout Centre' in Sheffield, which was a community group facilitated by paid workers. But of course since the cutbacks, that's gone!