The Sheffield gay scene part 2

From Twist&Fuel....

Just a little heads up folks. Now the annual mass exodus of the students has arrived, we are reducing our nights of opening for the summer. Until September we will now only be open on Friday and Saturday nights from 8pm- 6am. This will also allow us to focus on putting on many more big events like Ste from Hollyoaks on the weekend nights over the summer. Expect some seriously wild parties now as our focus swings to big club events much love x

____

Looks like it has fallen on its arse already. £1.50 drinks, to £1 drinks to 90p and now shutting up shop 5 out of 7 days.

So it will be closed for Pride this Saturday also?

So it will be closed for Pride this Saturday also?

Firstly, Pride isn't this Saturday.

Secondly, they clearly say they are opening on Saturdays 8-6. Why open in the day when everyone is the best part of half a mile away on Devonshire Green?

From Twist&Fuel....

Just a little heads up folks. Now the annual mass exodus of the students has arrived, we are reducing our nights of opening for the summer. Until September we will now only be open on Friday and Saturday nights from 8pm- 6am. This will also allow us to focus on putting on many more big events like Ste from Hollyoaks on the weekend nights over the summer. Expect some seriously wild parties now as our focus swings to big club events much love x

____

Looks like it has fallen on its arse already. £1.50 drinks, to £1 drinks to 90p and now shutting up shop 5 out of 7 days.

Sounds to me they only catering for the students, so all the student go home and guess what, they are now hardly open.

Maybe Fuel need to do some research and they will find there are people in Sheffield who are not students, obviously they don't want our money ...... more for Icons then :)

Manchester Prides Chief exec is a full time position on 60k a year, do you object to that also?

I, for one am certainly shocked by that figure; that certainly explains in part the steep 'Weekend' ticket prices at Manc Pride.

Manc. Pride should look at making the Chief Exec role a voluntary role suitable for experienced retired applicants, or even shared as a voluntary role between two people.

I'm also equally shocked, but maybe not too surprised by Fuel's decision to drastically cut back opening nights to just Friday and Saturday; they already don't open on Mondays and Tuesdays. I remember the same thing happened with Club Xes some years ago; it used to be a 7 day a week venue, but progressively cut back until it was only Fridays and Saturdays, although they were a long way outside the city centre. If I was running things at Fuel, I'd have made more of an effort to diversify, and to hire afforable local talent for Drag, DJ-ing, etc. to build up a genuine local fanbase an to work together with the other local venues.;)

Finally, just some news of a visit by PETER TATCHELL who will be giving a talk at St. George's Mappin Street on TUESDAY JULY 1ST. See thread: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=10544274#post10544274 for more details.:love:

Sounds to me they only catering for the students, so all the student go home and guess what, they are now hardly open.

Maybe Fuel need to do some research and they will find there are people in Sheffield who are not students, obviously they don't want our money ...... more for Icons then :)

Yes more money for Icons, Dempseys and other straight venues I feel as I wont be frequenting a hardly open place and not knowing when its open ...

Sorry for the rant, but what's wrong with trying to behave more like gentlemen, and less like bitches?

:hihi: Well, why do you think?

I would assume that T&F are doing this because it's not financially viable to open if people aren't going to go. we popped in for drinks after going out for dinner last Friday and it was dead, though saying that we also went to ICONS and Dempseys and both were dead, especially Dempseys we were there until 12.30pm\1am and we were the only two people sat upstairs when we left and downstairs there was about four or five people. I have never known Dempseys so quiet i was wondering if there was something going on else where for the gay scene to be so quiet, was it Climax or something..? I think in order for venues to be open in the week local gay people need to go and support them so it's not so reliant on the student scene...

I think going out for a mid week drink after work seems not to be in the Sheffield culture, say as much as London and Manchester where people will pop out for an hour or two on a school night lol...

Not been on here for a while and nothing changes. I know why I avoid the LGBT scene in Sheffield like the plague. I will continue to go to Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham for my nights out. Open 7 days a week, friendly, varied mix of bars, never had a bad night out, bars always busy, older people made to feel welcome, a bear scene and you dont get ripped off. I will NOT be going to Sheffield Pride but the hotel is already booked for Manchester and Leeds Pride.

The scene is quiet alright

Edited by Roger123W

Not been on here for a while and nothing changes. I know why I avoid the LGBT scene in Sheffield like the plague. I will continue to go to Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham for my nights out. Open 7 days a week, friendly, varied mix of bars, never had a bad night out, bars always busy, older people made to feel welcome, a bear scene and you dont get ripped off. I will NOT be going to Sheffield Pride but the hotel is already booked for Manchester and Leeds Pride.

to be fair though, Sheffield just can't compare Manchester or Leeds....People are moving from Sheffield to those places

In regards to twist & fuel, it's not dead. In fact it's very busy on the Saturdays I've been. However I really hate the music in fuel, it's electro hardcore stuff & this is why people don't go. Twist is there for pop & fuel there for electro! It's annoying.

Tried icons for first time - bit of an undesirable crowd for my liking though, but it is a nice & clean place & busier than I expected.

In regards to twist & fuel, it's not dead. In fact it's very busy on the Saturdays I've been. However I really hate the music in fuel, it's electro hardcore stuff & this is why people don't go. Twist is there for pop & fuel there for electro! It's annoying.

There is only so much money you can make in one night. On top of their refurb and rent costs they clearly weren't taking the money needed in the week. To be honest I can't see any mass increase when the students do return, unless they lay out on some huge marketing budget/events.

As I have said a million times Sheffield LGBT students have no issues across the city in general, you will find them in Corp, Plug, Embrace and pretty much any bar in Sheffield. Where as my assumption would be that Hull is possibly less open minded.

I feel bad for the staff, they must have laid some off or put them all on 6 hrs a week.

From what I have seen/heard it seems that people are splitting their nights so Dempseys is busier one night and Fuel the next. I am glad it hasn't had a massive impact on Dempseys though like last time as it would be huge loss to lose it for the sake of a fly by night from another business.