The Sheffield gay scene part 2

The more activity down there at night, the better. It's isolation and being run down that attracts crime.

Went to the new gay bar on Friday night, can't say I was impressed. It was full of middle-aged white women on 'girls nights out' channelling their inner Carrie Bradshaw.

Dempseys all the way :)

Arent they all in the same bad area as Dumpseys?

NB you're just as likely (if not more so) to get killed on West Street.

NB you're just as likely (if not more so) to get killed on West Street.

Carver St has the highest murder rate of any in Sheffield from memory! In 2017 over 800 crimes recorded on West St.....

So its Sheffield Pride on Saturday at Endcliffe Park again this year - surprised its not been mentioned on the thread.

I'm looking forward to it, however lets hope that the weather is neither too hot nor thunderstorms!

Does anyone know what the main acts are? Rumour has it that there is no alternative tent this year and so all the acts will be on the main stage?

I think it starts at 1pm if anyone can confirm it?

Oooh its all here ...

http://www.pridesheffield.org/

Oh wow the great lord mayor Magid Majid is opening it :-O

I do hope some of our best local talent will be showcased as well as the major international acts :-)

I just seen the line up here - some big names ...

http://www.pridesheffield.org/main-stage

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 17:31 ----------

Just wondered what people thought of Sheffield Pride this year.

I thought it was well supported and well organised, lots of talent on display, and at least a choice of after-bar locations this year for the first time ! :-)

Edited by GinTreeS7

The new Gay Quarter looks so tacky and cheap, what is all that pink graffitti ! Why can't we have a classy place like Fibre or the revamped Viaduct in Leeds. Is gay Sheffield all about cheap and cheerful. Looks awful.

The new Gay Quarter looks so tacky and cheap, what is all that pink graffitti ! Why can't we have a classy place like Fibre or the revamped Viaduct in Leeds. Is gay Sheffield all about cheap and cheerful. Looks awful.

It's riffing on Keith Haring's graffiti/pictographic style. There are other venues coming that will be different. Need some variety.

Regardless it looks tacky. I can see another flash in the pan here. I know many gay guys who are wanting a nice modern up market place to go, not graffitti or plastic table clothes and druggies and alcos hanging around.

Regardless it looks tacky. I can see another flash in the pan here. I know many gay guys who are wanting a nice modern up market place to go, not graffitti or plastic table clothes and druggies and alcos hanging around.

It's not really my style either, thought the Doctor Who theme makes me smile. This is just the first venue anyway, they're not all going to be the same.

Why this obsession with people who aren't actually in the venue? You can find people drunk in socially unacceptable (and socially sanctioned) ways all over Sheffield. Part of the effect of rejuvenating the Moor will be to chase that sort of thing away.

Well Queer Junction was rammed last night !

Walked past Dempseys there didn't seen very many in ... so in the short-term QJ is winning - lets see how it pans out after a few weeks :o

One othr thing I notice that the staff at QJ are attitude-free to their customers, which is a refreshing change, as thats not always been my experience of Dempseys :-(

Well Queer Junction was rammed last night !

Walked past Dempseys there didn't seen very many in ... so in the short-term QJ is winning - lets see how it pans out after a few weeks :o

One othr thing I notice that the staff at QJ are attitude-free to their customers, which is a refreshing change, as thats not always been my experience of Dempseys :-(

There is no winning, only losing. Losing Dempseys would be a huge loss. No other competitor has ever "Won". QJ will only pick up some of Dempseys pre trade to later drinking and offer an alternative once in the area to break up the night.

New businesses ideally need to create new customers, not just split the available customer base. At the moment that is all that will happen.

Thats as may be ... but at least the "existing customer base" now has a choice....

Pay a club entrance fee and buy reasonably priced drinks to be insulted by "some" complacent long-serving staff who could seriously do with customer relations training

or

Pay no entrance and a bit more for drinks to be served by new polite staff grateful to have a job

Pays ya money takes ya choices :hihi:

Will be interesting to see what the next bar offerings are like ...