The Sheffield gay scene part 2

As long as you promise not to sing. :hihi::hihi:

Love it :hihi:

Juat a reminder that OMG club are starting a new Sunday night drag night tonight with our incredible Tyranna also in attendance (at the helm?) so it promises to be a brilliantly entertaining night - the usual offers apply ... I may trot along with my dog tonight !

:love::love:

As you will probably know, all of us LGBTs and allies have had a weekend of sorrow and sadness following the tragic shootings at the Pulse club in Orlando.

A vigil has been arranged in Peace Gardens, in the city centre THIS WEDNESDAY, 15TH JUNE as a dignified demonstration of solidarity and remembrance. The details are HERE on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1722814587993340/

Other things you can do include wearing a black armband when visiting LGBT venues and events, and flying the LGBT Rainbow Flag at half mast, even if it is just a small toy one in your front window or on your car.

Blessings,

Tia Anna.

As you will probably know, all of us LGBTs and allies have had a weekend of sorrow and sadness following the tragic shootings at the Pulse club in Orlando.

A vigil has been arranged in Peace Gardens, in the city centre THIS WEDNESDAY, 15TH JUNE as a dignified demonstration of solidarity and remembrance. The details are HERE on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1722814587993340/

Other things you can do include wearing a black armband when visiting LGBT venues and events, and flying the LGBT Rainbow Flag at half mast, even if it is just a small toy one in your front window or on your car.

Blessings,

Tia Anna.

I don't think its just "us lgbts and allies" love, I think a good chunk of right thinking people are shocked at this one, gay straight or whatever.

There seems to be a "hex" on the Vigils held for this sad event.

The first one was too hastily arranged on MOnday and had no PA system so the speakers could not be heard and also it was uni lgbt who were familiar with the location of Hallam square where us rest were not - in the event it was also too near the Sheffield Doc Fest and was drowned out by those people ... then tonight we had Tyrannas :love: very brave attempt at a proper vigil in the Peace Gardens which co-incided with almighty downpours of rain and so was virtually rained off ... maybe we need to try for a third event indoors if any kindly LGBT venue could provide the space and time .. OMG or Dempseys ??

Mondays event was well planned and extremely well attended by all, not just students. Respectful speeches made and 2 songs performed by Sheffield Out Aloud made this a moving contribution in response to the recent event.

Hallam Square appears on all Tourist maps/signposts scattered around the city and easily found online in google/googlemaps.

There was space nearer the front for the hard of hearing. Standing at the back and then criticising an inability to hear seems a little ironic.

Having had a ""proper" and tasteful event on Monday, in line with most Cities in the UK and across the world, there was no need for competing individuals to try to (up)stage this by arranging ( but failing to turn up for) their own event.

We certainly don't need a third event.

The first one was too hastily arranged on MOnday and had no PA system so the speakers could not be heard and also it was uni lgbt who were familiar with the location of Hallam square where us rest were not - in the event it was also too near the Sheffield Doc Fest and was drowned out by those people ... then tonight we had Tyrannas :love: very brave attempt at a proper vigil in the Peace Gardens which co-incided with almighty downpours of rain and so was virtually rained off ... maybe we need to try for a third event indoors if any kindly LGBT venue could provide the space and time .. OMG or Dempseys ??

I can understand the moderators concerns about the first vigil on Monday, but at the end of the day, despite the weather and no P.A. I think the four people who organised this vigil did VERY WELL in attracting such a good turnout and many thanks to them for the thought.

Other large cities indeed managed to be even more organised and went for vigils on the Tuesday when the weather was marginally better, and the only reason why I thought Wednesday would be better was because we had the LGBT Equality Hub meeting next door just before. In the event there was some drizzle which turned to light showers at the time of the vigil and although about 19 people turned up, we just had a brief moment of contemplation with most of us sheltering under the bushes in Peace Gardens, and a few of us retired to the excellent CAFE NERO for a warm drink and cake afterwards.

I have proposed to the Equality Hubs that in future we have a centrally organised strategy for such events involving the City Council so that there are no misunderstandings how ever well-intentioned and that an event is organised with equipment such as PA and bad-weather alternative accommodation at an agreed site without any clashes with other events. I have met the organisers of the Monday event to apologise and express my thanks for their hard work and I am happy to work with them in helping to set up an even better structure for all kinds of future events relating to the LGBT community.

NOW, having got the very solemn issue of the vigils out of the way, I have a very important item of news from the Equality Hub Newsletter, relating to our local Sexual Health Services:

Pitstop+ at Royal Hallamshire Hospital

Pitstop+ the sexual health drop-in for men who have sex with men has relocated from Central Health Clinic to the Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Entrance 11 (on the side of B Road). Open every Thursday evening between 5-7pm (last appointment for STI screening at 6.30pm) Pitstop+ offers free and confidential services including:

Rapid HIV testing (results in 60 seconds) and STI screening

One-to-One support

Sexual health information and advice

Free condoms and lube

For more information visit http://www.sexualhealthsheffield.nhs.uk/services/pitstop-service-for-msm or ring Matt Harrison on 0114 2711698.

and although about 19 people turned up,

I'm sure the 2 people who did turn up might wonder where the other 17 where :huh:

Yet to attend OMG, just wondering what people's view of the place is? Given that I've "fallen-out" with Dempseys due to repugnant staff, am looking for an alternative regular haunt.

Yes OMG is good - the bar staff there are very polite and obliging and refreshingly attitude free as you see in some venues :-S

Yet to attend OMG, just wondering what people's view of the place is? Given that I've "fallen-out" with Dempseys due to repugnant staff, am looking for an alternative regular haunt.

Yes, OMG is a very slick venue WELL worth visiting, especially on Fridays, one of the nights when they have special drink offers from 99p a bottle/shot.

You will also catch me dressed in my best attire on SUNDAYS when we have a weekly guest drag cabaret show.

While it would be great for Sheffield to gain more LGBT venues again, a lot of us make the most of the two that we have at present; many people start at OMG early in the night and then go on to Dempseys for a good boogie to popular tunes from DJ Kieron until the wee small hours.

Having an unusually small 'scene' at present with only 2 fulltime LGBT venues is also made difficult with the two venues being hundreds of yards away at opposite sides of the town centre. Nonetheless we can build on this again in years to come, and I am sure that eventually Sheffield can get a 'village' cluster of LGBT venues/businesses like that which has been so successful in places such as Leeds, Blackpool and Liverpool to name just a few.

BTW, re. the Wednesday vigil there WERE several other appreciative young people attending, sheltering under the trees; however it was very brief due to the rain; we said our goodbyes and retired to the cafe or went off home.:love:

For Sale sign on OMG. (Building by auction)

Edited by jamesogt