The Sheffield gay scene part 2

What a great day at Leeds Pride. Lots of faces from Sheffield. Well organised, great parade, good entertainment on the main stage, well supported by the local bars and great weather :)

Leeds Pride was AMAZING, so much fun, so busy, great weather, the bars were still full at 2am. I got into my hotel at 3.30am after having such a laugh. Sorry to say it Sheffield but THAT is how you do a FREE Gay Pride.

The pubs in Leeds are very rough IMHO ,the pubs in Sheffield are a lot nicer, friendlier and safer so there !

Well that is your experience, my HONEST experience of the Sheffield scene in the past is I have been attacked twice, once needing hospital treatment, verbally abused several times, my mate was attacked and put in hospital. This has NEVER EVER happend in Leeds or Manchester. 15-20 years ago the scene in Sheffield was AMAZING, but not now, sadly.

I suppose how safe you are on x,y,z scene is always going to vary on the crowd rather than anything, perhaps some people do not realise that 9/10 it's the crowd rather than sercurity.

I feel much safer in Sheffield than Manchester or London, but that's because I know everyone & I'm out of a bar and into a taxi home. But Manchester has a very weird crowd, you have lots of people coming into the gay community because its a better night, but they can cause trouble. You do not see that in Sheffield.

I suppose it varies. Maybe sometimes you do not realise your own character.

Look at both T&F & Dempsey's, they have two complete opposites sets of door staff. They have a set of door staff that are mostly if not all gay and questionably only friendly to their friends, but know everyone, but they still make the place secure enough. I would however question they if anything major was to happen there, if those door staff could handle it? T&F have a set of door staff that are pleasant enough, not familiar with the customers & I've seen them heavy handed when I've been there, but they got the job done too. If anything ever kicked off in there, I'd be more than confident it would be sorted.

The pubs in Leeds are very rough IMHO ,the pubs in Sheffield are a lot nicer, friendlier and safer so there !

Surely that's th Straight pubs, most likely the ones in the traditional working-class suburbs and parts of town where most of us LGBTs wouldnt feel safe to flaunt it.

Many Thanks, Sharrowblade btw, well said about how Leeds Pride has proven to be an excellent and STILL FREE popular festival that's STILL a great day out, compared to a poorly attended gated affair like Sheffield Pride...:hihi:

always found most str8 pubs in Sheffield are fine with LBG its just the other extreme of TV TS ect that scares some of the locals! have to say it scare me and im gay lol .

Demmies has always been a good venue nice pleasant staff. just bit of a dump T&F new venue lots of investment, just needs to build customer base ! Icons more for the ADHD king of gays

Dempseys has got proper Gay atmosphere. Safer then West street at least you don't find straight drunk touble maker guys in Dempseys:|:|:|:|

Dempseys is definitely the safest gay bar in Sheffield - Over the years I have seen violent straight guy trouble makers - and women - dealt with in no short shrift in Dempseys bar and slung/frog marched out a few times - thats why I always feel safest in there.

I have not yet seen Icons or Twist tested in this way happily, however I would fear for Icons since the doorman coverage seems mostly light except at end of the night. Twist I think again has a better doorman representation, although in there I think the arguments are mostly likely to be between queeny young drama queens who have broke nails or ruined their hair, etc etc

By the way , talking about trouble, Does anyone know if Lions Lair is still open and if it is is it still gay friendly , whats the trouble level like in there these days?

I use to love going to Dempseys, had many a great night until one night I was attacked by a straight couple and assualted, resulting in hospital treatment and a health condition ever since due to injury, door staff at the time did nothing as they "knew" the straight couple and let them out the back doors before police got there, police investigated and said they couldnt do anything as when they looked at the CCTV in the club it was 2 grainy and bad quality, officer said he believed me and they had been called to Dempseys many times for trouble. I admit it might have changed now but since that assualt I have never been back. In more than 20 years going to Manchester and Leeds scenes I have NEVER been assualted or come anywhere near in. Assualted twice in Sheffield scene, says it all really.

Does anyone know if Lions Lair is still open and if it is is it still gay friendly , whats the trouble level like in there these days?

I passed it the other day and it's been renamed #31 now. No idea what it's like.

Are dempseys still doing the les femmes night s at the end of each moth an if so does it attract many trans people, dont want to turn up and be the only fabukous one in there .