The Sheffield gay scene part 2

I suspect you can argue and debate location and quality all day long, but you'll never see many people agreeing.

However, I do think the comment made by James & EarthBoy regarding Manchester and Sheffield prices are far away from the mark. The price difference between drinks of the two cities isn't very much at all. If Manchester is so expensive I wouldn't go myself so often! Pints & bottles in the right place are £3-£3.50 & house doubles can be found on Cansl St for £2.50-£3.30. I find the nearer you are to the car park the cheaper it is. Plus, if you want to go a lot further on a budget you can always find that offer in most bars in the village! Cruz offer alcopops from £1.50 & a small selection of lager for £2. G-A-Y 5 nights a week offer £2 drinks on ANYTHING* too. I could go on, I suppose, but there isn't that much between them, but as always there are always places that are shockingly priced, I paid £11 in velvet for a double.

Manchester pride coming up soon though, pretty interesting. The names aren't that big, price to get in has rose too.

The Manchester Pride accounts are public.

http://www.manchesterpride.com/media/2014/Manchester_Pride_September_2013.pdf

I have no issue with the paying really. Partially based on the fact that they donate to charities in and around Manchester as part of the ticket price. But even this is now in question, it is clearly getting harder to run these events...Possibly a reason as Aaron mentions for reducing the named acts this year.

http://www.mancunianmatters.co.uk/content/280267965-big-weekend-account-figures-manchester-pride-slammed-tossing-charities-aside

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/11/12/manchester-pride-vows-to-increase-charitable-donations-following-criticism/

As I mentioned before, I have little interest as to who is on stage, I would rather get less expensive acts and for them to donate more to the Albert Kennedy & George House Trust etc. This does far more good than entertaining 10,000 people around the stage for 20 minutes.

The drink price issue is less in Manchester as there is an Off Licence within the 'Zone', Birmingham does not have this, and Sheffield of course as part of Council restrictions has to monitor the sale of alcohol.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/11/12/manchester-pride-vows-to-increase-charitable-donations-following-criticism/

As I mentioned before, I have little interest as to who is on stage, I would rather get less expensive acts and for them to donate more to the Albert Kennedy & George House Trust etc. This does far more good than entertaining 10,000 people around the stage for 20 minutes.

...Well I for one would be happy to do a good old lipsynch drag show on the Manchester Pride main Stage for just the return Rail fare and hotel for the night;)

...Well I for one would be happy to do a good old lipsynch drag show on the Manchester Pride main Stage for just the return Rail fare and hotel for the night;)

Do it Tia do it !! :love:

Lets all vote to get Tyranna on the main Manchester Pride stage !!:D

You get a half decent gay scene up north these days with Leeds & Manchester & we are lucky to be able to do it for very little.

I came back from London on Sunday and the prices are unreal & of course you can simply say "oh, that's London prices". I was simply annoyed to be paying them & I am perhaps too embarrassed to say "nah, no thanks" after getting the price.

j-bomb - £5.65 (G-A-Y)

dbl vodka & coke (£8.00)

We are in a city which is close to Leeds & Manchester & both a fairly good priced with good pubs & clubs, we are lucky really.

-------------------------

Away from pricing of drinks, I move onto the Pride situation for MANCHESTER, who is going?

The prices for wristbands are getting a little bit out of control really. I remember just 3 years ago it was £13.50, now over £20, but all be it a fantastic weekend.

A few new bars around Manchester this year round too. Kiki/Void/Oscars/BarPop. It will be good to see what they are doing this year.

I hope there are numerous cheap places on during the day, Alter Ego has cheap alcohol on till 10pm, usually.

You get a half decent gay scene up north these days with Leeds & Manchester & we are lucky to be able to do it for very little.

I came back from London on Sunday and the prices are unreal & of course you can simply say "oh, that's London prices". I was simply annoyed to be paying them & I am perhaps too embarrassed to say "nah, no thanks" after getting the price.

j-bomb - £5.65 (G-A-Y)

dbl vodka & coke (£8.00)

We are in a city which is close to Leeds & Manchester & both a fairly good priced with good pubs & clubs, we are lucky really.

Away from pricing of drinks, I move onto the Pride situation for MANCHESTER, who is going?

The prices for wristbands are getting a little bit out of control really. I remember just 3 years ago it was £13.50, now over £20, but all be it a fantastic weekend.

A few new bars around Manchester this year round too. Kiki/Void/Oscars/BarPop. It will be good to see what they are doing this year.

I hope there are numerous cheap places on during the day, Alter Ego has cheap alcohol on till 10pm, usually.

Bought an early bird ticket ages ago, think it was £15 ish. Usually buy booze from the off licence near the main stage all day. Usually too drunk to buy many more drinks by the time I pay to get in anywhere!

dose anyone knows a pub where I can have my 30th birthday party? its a theme based one, Kenny everert, Rocky horror show, very gay friendily required.

I have heard of funny girls Barnsley but I really need it in the Sheffield town centre.

mid October time please

j-bomb - £5.65 (G-A-Y)

dbl vodka & coke (£8.00)

I am going to Alert, the event is outside the Village area so no need for wristband. Alert is a men only event.

You're dead right, Aaron 1867, about sky-high London Prices and how lucky we are to have two other great scenes nearby in Leeds and Manchester, as well as three great local affordable venues. However, it would be great to see a few more places catering for the LGBT niche market in Sheffield. How about a Lesbian bar, or a Leather Bar, or indeed a proper Drag Showbar, such as VIADUCT in Leeds. Even the new Fuel does not have actual Drag Cabaret, only drag queens on the door or doing DJing. Other nearby places like Doncaster, Wakefield and Barnsley are sometims worth going to, but the impression I have got is that the scenes in those places have lately gone into decline, with no pride in Wakefield or Barnsley this year.

dose anyone knows a pub where I can have my 30th birthday party? its a theme based one, Kenny everert, Rocky horror show, very gay friendily required.

I have heard of funny girls Barnsley but I really need it in the Sheffield town centre.

mid October time please

Great to hear about your party plans, Kier; I too remember Kenny Everett's 'Cupid Stunt' character 'All in the Best Possible Taste', and I can do a good version of her if you need an act like that for your party. The 'Funny Girls' I presume you are mentioning that you heard of in Barnsley were actually the 'Funny Gals' Showbar and they have been gone for three or four Summers now. However, I have some news that a new venue MIGHT be opening in Barnsley in the near future with hopefully entertainment on some nights for those in that neck of the woods.

Also, a few treats for those who might like to listen to BBC Radio 4 while working, in the car, or on Iplayer at any time of day: The serialisation of ARMISTEAD MAUPIN'S Tales of the City series continues this week with 'BABYCAKES'. See the general page on Maupin's series for Radio 4 at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qffmr. Also, every Wednesday night, at 11.15, there is a 15-minutes comedy show by TINA C, the famous live singing drag creation of Chris Green. See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0071plz You can still listen to the whole of her Global Depression World Tour on I-Player for the next 4 weeks!:love:

Hi all

Me and a mate are in Sheffield next weekend and we are looking for a good gay bar. Does anyone have any good recomendations?