The Sheffield gay scene part 2

Well??????

I can't see him answering this, but Adam did inform me via Facebook that I am banned from attending the event.

He can of course attempt to ban me, but according to the council who I have been in contact with they can not ban me for a couple of reasons, mainly it not being their property, a public event & apparently of they was to attempt to ban me, they would need to contact them regarding why.

I'm still in contact with them though & it does a waste of my time as I don't think I will be around that day anyway. However if I am, I'd like to be there, without hassle, so I'm in contact with council trying to sort it. If not, just go to after party.

Seems stupid banning someone over criticism.

Maybe I should have took more action over actions of other committee members? Oh well!

Pathetic stuff all round then. Some gay people are rather precious, arent they?

As already said, I would like to see them try "ban" you.

Good to see your quest for truth goes on Aaron. I would however request that you make it a little less ambiguous

"There are still questions that need answering and there is still proof needed that back up what the committee are saying."

Perhaps you could list the questions and proof that you want? And i'll see what I can do.

I do have to say Aaron that despite your assurances to the contrary, your posts come across extremely antagonistic. I'm still (perhaps over-optimistically) awaiting an apology for the suggestion we fund our nights out with money from Pride. Such baseless and insulting comments are really not appropriate I don't think. I really don't know why you think we're somehow in it for the perks, because we really aren't - there aren't any for a start!

No User Name, you'll both be pleased to hear we don't ban people from the event for posting negative comments, that would be ridiculous. I don't, however, think either of you have actually properly thought about what you're saying though - we actually have an obligation to ban people from the event in some circumstances! We have licensing obligations to, amongst other things, prevent under age drinking, crime and disorder and so on. If we knew of people coming to the event to deal drugs, drink under age, etc we would be required by these obligations to ban them. Admittedly it's unlikely they'll email us in advance to let us know, but theoretically that power is there and so it should be. No User Name i'm sure you were referring to me as 'pathetic' and 'precious' because you'd thought I had banned someone from an event for posting negative comments, so now you know that's not the case I hope you won't think of me as such again :-)

Aaron could you please pass on the details of the person you've been speaking to at the Council and I will have a chat with them or their supervisor (I'm meeting with head of licensing from the local authority next week in fact) because they really shouldn't be giving out duff advice I'm sure you'll agree! You can send it on facebook rather that post their contact details on here that's fine.

"There are thousands of business in Sheffield and I am sure the big nationals would be interested in getting a little coverage for a few quid too. I spoke with two large businesses in Sheffield & they said they would be interested in sponsoring or some advertising at Pride. I would be pretty confident that one of the two would put up between £1-£5k to be involved with Pride."

Aaron, as for your comments on funding I will be quite frank, I will believe it when I see it. I've been doing this for three years, and this year alone I secured over £15,000 worth of funding. I've worked with everyone from sales assistants and managers up the directors and owners of companies to do that both this year and in previous years. I've successfully gotten previous partners to increase their contributions, and secured new leads each year. You haven't. So whilst I've no reason to doubt your abilities, I've no reason to think they are any good either. It's very easy to say something, but a lot harder to do it - you've only said, not done. Please do pass the information of these two companies to me and I will get to work on them right away - and you can be assured you'll get the credit if it pays off!

Oh yes the ticketing issue Aaron, I did go back and read. I've no idea why you think that's got anything to do with trading standards, but it hasn't. At all. Trading Standards relates the the quality of the product, fit for purpose and so on. It's all Sale of Goods Act stuff. What your issue is is that you couldn't turn up at a temporary event site and purchase a ticket for a different event without going into that event site. Well, firstly that's perfectly legitimate. Secondly, O2 tickets were on sale online in advance, City Hall on the day, and at O2 both in advance and on the night. So even if it was somehow illegal to make someone come into one event to buy a ticket to another, which - and i cannot stress this enough - it isn't, that wouldn't have been the case anyway.

The reason that you had to go round the other side was, again, back on the Council being over protective i'm afraid. They were very concerned about queuing times and so, to speed up queuing, we didn't sell those tickets on the way in. That's out the window this year, and you'll be able to buy them on the way in, as well as inside the event. And they're on sale now online, they'll be up on Climax's website any day now, and they'll be available on the door on the night subject to availability of course.

Cheers

Adam

So is he banned or not then? Or shall I just send you a message on Hornet and ask as I just saw you on there a minute ago?

Message me on hornet buddy. Would be good to put the (no user) name to a face!

Adam I appreciate that finally you've replied to questions.

However you still are unable to talk about my ban & why it is in place, neither do you talk about the other committee members that are constantly causing me hassle on the scene. Perhaps you should just take this silly ban off & save is both time & hassle & also like I've already messaged you saying have a word with other members of the committee. In regards to my conversation with the council, I have no names, we spoke on the phone & whilst she was very friendly, she couldn't understand what the question was & said that they believe a ban will not be able to be in place.

As for apologies on the marketing thing in other cities, you'll happily get that when I see proof, there of course questions still to be asked.

I also go back to my comment regarding funding, I'd be confident that I could get some funding from one business in particular, one user in this thread will know what business I'm very friendly with. However, it's too late for this year & at the sane time why would I want to help you guys get funding when all you have been to me harsh and aggressive.

Last year saw a huge step forward for Sheffield Pride, but now we face a huge step back. Me ", like many others only want a better Pride.

I'm out tonight - so if you are around and I'm relatively sober I'm happy to chat.

Manchester Prides Chief exec is a full time position on 60k a year, do you object to that also?

Reading this thread has reminded why I avoid the gay scene.

It just seems to me that some people have issues with other people, and rather than sort it out properly, (i.e. a private conversation.), they seem intent on slagging people off on this thread, as well as trying to destroy the reputation of various local people and organisations.

Call me old fashioned, but the way to deal with problems is to put forward constructive critisim, and deal with it in a cool, calm, intelligent manner.

I noticed that "The Sheffield gay scene part 2" was only set up because of all the bitchiness and bad vibes that the original thread had.

It's obvious to me that certain people have absolutely no experience of trying to organise an event of any kind. They just seem intent to keep attacking the organisers, (perhaps to the point were the organisers think "f*** it, it's not worth the effort.")

They obviously have absolutely no idea of the dynamics of arranging a major event like pride, (and should therefore keep their mouth shut until they know what they're talking about.)

And it's not just the money, there's the Police, Fire service, Environmental Health, Health and Safety, Ambulance service, hospitals, as well as the licencing committee, who all have to be 100% happy before a licence is granted - if any one of these have a problem then the event doesn't go ahead.

Event planning is also a lot harder than it was say 15-20 years ago, as every company/public body is petrified about getting a decision wrong and being sued or prosecuted by someone. (As well as Government and local legislation being a lot tougher than it was.)

Anyone who thinks that Sheffield pride is going downhill/poor line-up/wrong location etc should try and organise their own event, and see how far they get before falling flat on their face.

Sorry for the rant, but what's wrong with trying to behave more like gentlemen, and less like bitches?

Let me tell you a little story...

I have been critical of Sheffield Oride for the last couple of years, I have always highlighted the positives & negatives. It was at some point last year where I came on this forum to moan Bout certain aspects. The next month after my moan on the big gay night in Birmingham Adam approached me kindly to say he would like to hear from me & gave me his business card. I actually never got in contact.

After a few aggressive confrontations later with other pride members, who purely who out of their way to lol try and fight me, I got in touch with Adam to tell him this is not fair Bd could he sort this. No reply, ever.

I saw Adam out a few weeks ago & for some weird reason he didnt act as the head of pride & was aggressive too. In fact he went on to tell me that he read the email and laughed.

So please do not tell me how to communicate with others, when in reality they struggle to communicate in a non aggressive manner & unable to respond effectively to criticism.

I've never said they can't organise an event, just highlighted some negatives.

You only have to look at the fact they have attempted to ban me from Pride to realise the situation.

Aaron -

You have on a number of occasions raised some valid criticisms of Pride, and most definitely opened up a public conversation to discuss these.

That being said, it does now appear that your biggest issue with pride is a personal one between you and specific members of the committee. Adam has responded to many of the queries raised and it now comes across that it is your mission to discredit the committee rather than engage in open dialogue with them.

The phrase 'dog with a bone' springs to mind. Rather than fill this message board with what has become non-constructive negativity might I suggest you take your personal issues with pride offline and deal with them privately.

Personally I feel that the barring of one individual is not a reflection of the overall quality of the event. I hope you are able to sort your issues with Pride and come and enjoy the day with the rest of us, remember.. it supposed to be fun!!!

From Twist&Fuel....

Just a little heads up folks. Now the annual mass exodus of the students has arrived, we are reducing our nights of opening for the summer. Until September we will now only be open on Friday and Saturday nights from 8pm- 6am. This will also allow us to focus on putting on many more big events like Ste from Hollyoaks on the weekend nights over the summer. Expect some seriously wild parties now as our focus swings to big club events much love x

____

Looks like it has fallen on its arse already. £1.50 drinks, to £1 drinks to 90p and now shutting up shop 5 out of 7 days.