The Sheffield gay scene part 2

I would agree with you Icons :suspect:

Meantime me and my dog and friend toddled along to the big opening of the Mulberry last Sat night (what was the old affinity) and I must say it looks very good the way it is done out now like a traditional boozer ;)

I also noticed that a lot of the old gay crowd showed up on Sat night and indeed I even recognised a few people from Dempseys so it seems to me that even though it is now "officially "straight it will still continue to be very gay friendly ans I wish it all the best . Perhaps if they want to increae their revenue and once they get the downstairs up and running tney might even want to hold the odd gay night say in the bar downstairs - I do hope someone from there is reading this cos I think its a darn good money making idea :)

Meantime we then popped along to Icons later on that night which was very busy and doing well :-) Sadly we did not last to the end of the nigth to check out Dempseys but I am sure that does just as well on a Saturday night as always. Once the Boardwalk thingy opens up in March I think things will relaly stafrt to look up even more for the Sheffield Gay Scene and once Gossip sorts its teething issues out even more choice :-) :love:

I shall suggest to the people running it to have a read, I think a gay night once the downstairs is up and running would be a brilliant idea. I think their intentions are to stay gay friendly, after all it was some of the gay scene regulars who kept it afloat when it was Affinity, plus the people who are running it know a lot of the gay scene regulars

Been closed all weekend, the manager is on holiday and he didn't know it was going to be closed, they didn't even tell the bar staff allegedly.

It has done nothing since it opened......

The Manager's away, the staff don't play ! Has the place closed already. Wouldn't be a surprise TBH

Its hardly surprising, this is a venue which has already had to resort to "bring your own booze" nights (which I was told by the Licensing department at the Council is NOT a breach of their license, God knows how!) and a strip night.

I would agree with you Icons :suspect:

Meantime me and my dog and friend toddled along to the big opening of the Mulberry last Sat night (what was the old affinity) and I must say it looks very good the way it is done out now like a traditional boozer ;)

I also noticed that a lot of the old gay crowd showed up on Sat night and indeed I even recognised a few people from Dempseys so it seems to me that even though it is now "officially "straight it will still continue to be very gay friendly ans I wish it all the best . Perhaps if they want to increae their revenue and once they get the downstairs up and running tney might even want to hold the odd gay night say in the bar downstairs - I do hope someone from there is reading this cos I think its a darn good money making idea :)

Meantime we then popped along to Icons later on that night which was very busy and doing well :-) Sadly we did not last to the end of the nigth to check out Dempseys but I am sure that does just as well on a Saturday night as always. Once the Boardwalk thingy opens up in March I think things will relaly stafrt to look up even more for the Sheffield Gay Scene and once Gossip sorts its teething issues out even more choice :-) :love:

Great to hear about Mulberry staying gay-friendly. I know this has been the tendency with other ex-gay venues like Lions Lair, although eventually the 'gay' element fades a few years down the line. I'd like to pop in and try some of the Real Ales!

BTW, about Gossips, I'm so sorry to hear that they seem to have been shut 'due to maintenance issues' WHen I heard that line, I assumed that they may finally have got round to doing the floor...

Best of Luck to Gossips in picking themselves up and reopening; without hearing anything about how they are doing, I do not wish to speculate about what will be going on and best to avoid any rumor-mongering.

Just a quickie to say that CLIMAX is on THIS FRIDAY at Sheffield University Student Union (Both Rooms) as normal,

Theme: Traffic-Light Party.:love:

Anyone know of any jazz vocalist / Acoustic singer that might be available to do an afternoon session on 01/03/14, I am opening a shop and have an afternoon of music and poetry planned but would really like some LGBT presence, i have poetry slam and acoustic open mic sorted, but would like a closing act??

Any help appreciated.

The event will be in Rotherham town centre

Edited by violetone

As gossips Facebook page has disappeared I think that's the end...........

I don't think I have heard one single good review about Gossips & it really is saddening. I think the people that run/own the bar have rushed far into this without the funding and know how to make it a success, whilst assuming it will be a hit straight away. Sadly it looks like it will struggle unless someone comes in closes the place down, starts again (with money) and knows how to run a nightclub.

Hopefully it will turn round.

Twist & Fuel is also apparently on it's way, it seems they are not rushing to open the place & I am expecting bigger and brighter things for them. It's just a little frustrating that it is a decent walk away from Dempsey's, well it's a taxi ride to be fair!

We're hoping that Twist & Fuel will take off, it might finally make a start on bringing the LGBT scene in Sheffield back to how it used to be in days of old. It's just a shame that we're all so far away from each other. As for Gossips, we've heard a lot of speculation about it, but don't really want to comment on it until these speculations are dis-proven or become facts

For anyone interested, we are having Fruli (Strawberry beer) installed tomorrow, just another addition to our range of drafts, we also have some new vodkas and a new rum added to the spirit range too

Hope you're all looking forward to the weekend!

I don't think I have heard one single good review about Gossips & it really is saddening. I think the people that run/own the bar have rushed far into this without the funding and know how to make it a success, whilst assuming it will be a hit straight away. Sadly it looks like it will struggle unless someone comes in closes the place down, starts again (with money) and knows how to run a nightclub.

The opening publicity was "have you heard the gossip", the closing gossip sadly reflects the whole ethos of the place.

You are getting Fruli?

How much you charging for it?

We've not set it in stone yet, but we're thinking £5 per pint (£2.50 half) during the standard price times. Then £4.80 per pint (£1.90 half) during happy hours, Tuesday nights and Wednesday Nights