The Sheffield gay scene part 2

.. and of course the very lively and the very lovely Tyranna :love: Her Titanic theme was very moving

It certainly made your bowels move.

.. why she was not on the main stage I just do not know

Because her act is complete excrement; that's why.

.. there were so many people crowding into the tent that it had to be held outside for safety reasons ...

It didn't have to be held outside at all. The audience were more than happy to be indoors, and the tent was perfectly adequate for the previous act. Unfortunately, overcome by delusions of her own importance, Tyranna thought that she deserved a bigger audience so she banished everybody outside in the mistaken hope of there being a large crowd waiting to see her. Although she quoted "health and safety" reasons, this was a figment of her overactive imagination.

James! OGT

It may have escaped your attention that my posting was about the "inclusion issue" not one about casting aspersions on my character i.e. maybe i should do something about my financial situation, and to fix it! This is not an educated or mature response, for your information I am from a professional background 2 jobs 1 car and income which clearly makes me afford £3 entry! The point about Manchester charges i accept i maybe wrong, but the point is in a few years time, success dependent the Sheffield festival may or may not take on the same direction and preclude people from attending on financial basis, my whole point is if you have good fund managers or experienced fund raisers you can quite easily make the festival a true free for all event which doesn't depend upon your financial ability! Do not go the same way as other more corporate leaning pride events! If you reply please focus and make it a fair, intelligent and comprehensive one!

James! OGT

It may have escaped your attention that my posting was about the "inclusion issue" not one about casting aspersions on my character i.e. maybe i should do something about my financial situation, and to fix it! This is not an educated or mature response, for your information I am from a professional background 2 jobs 1 car and income which clearly makes me afford £3 entry! The point about Manchester charges i accept i maybe wrong, but the point is in a few years time, success dependent the Sheffield festival may or may not take on the same direction and preclude people from attending on financial basis, my whole point is if you have good fund managers or experienced fund raisers you can quite easily make the festival a true free for all event which doesn't depend upon your financial ability! Do not go the same way as other more corporate leaning pride events! If you reply please focus and make it a fair, intelligent and comprehensive one!

I understand your point and I wouldn't want a corporate event either, but I think a §3 entry is not too much.

Also your point about fundraisers, people with these specific skills are not a dime a dozen and I'm sure the volunteers who run Pride are trying pretty hard!

Maybe if next year is bigger and better there could be tiered tickets including a concession for the unemployed and those in education, in addition to more volunteering opportunities.

James! OGT

Manchester is clearly the biggest 'Pride' in the North.

Part of the reason it is attended so highly is the fact it is heavily backed by the Council, gay bars and other establishments of the Canal St area. It also generates massive income for the city as a whole.

I can find figures up till 2010, it cost over 1 million pounds to stage! Looking at the figures it also spends almost exactly the income it generates. As well as that it also generates large amounts for local charities. (More than Sheffield costs to stage!) Do you really think it is possible to raise £1 million pounds without charging for them?

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/FinancialHistory.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=1117848&SubsidiaryNumber=0

Sheffield people in previous years often complained that Sheffield Pride was not good. Without generating any revenue how are they meant to pay acts that attract crowds? They were caught in catch 22. Alexandra Burke and Human League do not appear for free.

In many areas of life people are precluded from things due to lack of money, unfortunately you can't base the growth of something on what is probably a tiny percentage of people.

Maybe you know of some fund raisers/managers that you can recommend to the Pride committee for next years event. I am sure they would gladly accept any offers of help they can get. If Sheffield ever reached the heights of a million pound event it would be amazing!

Sheffield now only has 2/3 gay venues. Manchester, Birmingham, Brighton and London (the biggest prides) all have 20+ and that is probably being conservative for some of them. It would be unfair to try and compare them.

Inclusion is all well and good if it was Council money, but I think it unlikely for the next few years at least any Government funding will be little or none.

I am hoping next year maybe they will be able to get a larger sponsor, but asking any company for money at the moment is difficult.

As an outsider I would be interested to see how much Climax and the bars in the park etc help to generate. I think I am also not alone in thinking that the venues could offer more support financially, on top of their fund raisers held in the run up.

I was toying with the idea of going to Sheffield Pride in the day, but my morales got to me too much. I knew the event was pathetically organised and I definitely wasn't going to pay £3 to sit in a park.

Unfortunately this is often the attitude encountered here. I would doubt Aaron made any effort to attend any open meetings or offer any input at all. But is happy to criticize without even attending the event itself.

Edited by jamesogt

Unfortunately this is often the attitude encountered here. I would doubt Aaron made any effort to attend any open meetings or offer any input at all. But is happy to criticize without even attending the event itself.

You're right.

I'd love to know who's idea it was to do the parade to around Eccy Road, that was of course a nice way to put it... a shambles.

I have no intention of adding any input into anything Pride related, because all the comittee need throwing off, instead of vying for 'superioty' on the scene.

You're right.

I'd love to know who's idea it was to do the parade to around Eccy Road, that was of course a nice way to put it... a shambles.

I have no intention of adding any input into anything Pride related, because all the comittee need throwing off, instead of vying for 'superioty' on the scene.

To be fair not many of the committee are 'scene' goers. Maybe 3 of them could be classed as scene, if you consider that to be going to Dempseys every few weeks.

Where other than Ecclesall Rd would you have a parade if you were going to have one? Considering it finished at the Park? Do you think Manchester's parade started as an 1.5 hr extravaganza? It didn't. Like anything else it has grown over the years.

The committee are all voted for at open meetings, why don't you maybe go to one and bring a few friends and get voted in to a position that you think you would suit and then you could offer the input you feel required to make Pride better?

It is very easy to sit behind a keyboard and criticise. It is much harder to actually organise and coordinate an event that 4000 people visit.

IAlthough I did go out in the night and it was a fantastic atmosphere. I got a taxi onto Arundel gate, saw Affinity was dead as usual, then went to the HUBS for Climax! It was fantastic. I was unsure if it would live upto the normal climax's, but it most definitely was very good and for a change Scott Kelly played some decent music.

Headed to Dempsey's and of course they have put their prices up! Entrance fee was £1 more than usual! But as usual, Dempsey's can hardly fail to ramming the place and also was a good finish to the night.

What time did you go to Affinity ?.

I can asure you it was absolutely packed, I was there with friends.

You obviously went at the wrong time.

Then why don`t you do something about it instead of moaning all the time.

The election of committee members is a open vote, so why not go along and get yourself on the committe.......... but then you wouldnt have anything to moan about would you.

You are hard work :P

The election of committee members is a open vote, so why not go along and get yourself on the committe.......... but then you wouldnt have anything to moan about would you.

LOL that sounds true !

I have no intrest in Sheffield Pride.

It gets worse every year, simple as that.

£3 is ridic.

spider pete

if you can't raise the motivation to make some constructive comment and show you can be at least semi intelligent then please do not assume other people follow your non-intellectual pattern!

Can I just add that the committee members are not as open as they like you to think. I have offered my support to the committee to get involved into gay pride event and the impression I got was they are very clicky and cheery pick there elected members.

Edited by esme
quote tags