The Sheffield gay scene part 2

Very Interesting, the news about Climax; at O2 or the Hubs it will be nearer to where I currently live, but I will really miss attending it at my 'alma mater'.

Re. what Losthighway said about Sheffield's Gay scene falling far short of Manchester's or even Leeds is dead right; in comparison to those two Sheffield's scene is c**p. What we could really do with is a Gay superclub as an 'anchor venue', either from a new or established operator. Unfortunately it looks like the proposal for Fuel to return is dead, most likely due to licencing hitches and/or financial realities.

Despite all this, the existing venues are doing all they can to update their image and offer more engaging nights out than before; DEMPSEYS has already vastly improved its image, and their makeover is by no means complete; I really like the amazing VW camper van DJ box and overall theme downstairs, but I only hope that the re-do the upstairs soon at least as well. Tom has also produced some amazing new flyers for some amazing new events such as a forthcoming White Party over the next few weeks, and there are plenty more events planned including drag cabaret and more theatre productions.

Affinity too has been already putting a lot of effort in, in organising more entertainment and fun events; it was great last saturday during Pride (Sorry I missed Dempseys and Climax at the Hubs).

Club Xes is STILL going strong, in spite of all the rumors that 'it has closed', and the LES FEMMES Transgender Night is still on, mainly on the SECOND AND FOURTH FRIDAYS each and every month; I am currently working on making Les Femmes Nights more fun, with a stall doing wigs and makeup again, and perhaps some cabaret entertainment. Watch this space (and my blogs on TVChix forum) for more updates on this as they develop.

Finally, wasn't Pride great, (And why shouldn't it be a 'family' event, just like many other Prides are promoted as). A BIG thanks to all those who contributed to making the day so special, including the many familiar faces on and off the Forum who turned up for my own performance on stage!:love:

Although I was working at the pride event and despite the poor weather I have to admit I had a good time and it seemed to be getting better.

I've been living in Manchester for over a year now and have returned to Sheffield a couple of times to go out with friends. I don't think the problem with the gay scene is necessarily the good intentions to expand, but simply the state of Sheffield as a city. In short, it's a dump with bugger all to offer - a situation which has never changed in all the 30-odd years i've known it. Various buildings have been erected which looked dated as soon as the first brick hits ground, the half-decent bars are magnets for ****** up straight couples - we went in one and i'm not kidding you, it was like my mate and I were the token gays!! :/ As cities go in the UK Sheffield will never be able to stand proud alongside Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Edinburgh, etc... because it's so insular and as one comedian I saw a couple of months ago stated... full of bigotted backwards hicks...

Maybe a bit harsh but certainly not a good state of affairs for a gay scene which can be defined by one pub throughout the years... Dempseys. Sheffield has little to offer people (straight/gay/bi/whatever!) and therefore, any possibility of the gay scene taking off is hindered. Sheffield Pride being a case in point... where's the cash behind it to get decent acts, it's being sold as a family event - fantastic! But it looks more like a family event for straight folk than a celebration/statement of LGBT living/activism.

I lived and worked in Sheffield for several years before moving to Manchester and whilst Canal Street is admittedly having an identity crisis as of late, I can honestly say that Sheffield has nothing to entice me back... Yet!

Well, if one comedian you saw said it, it must be true.....I doubt if anyone in Sheffield, straight or gay, is holding their breath until you do come back.

You don't like Sheffield, fine; don't come here. You won't be missed.

Does anybody know the attendance figure yet?

About the same as last year, my impression was that it was a little less, but still a fair number of people; not bad considering the changeable weather on the day.

About the same as last year, my impression was that it was a little less, but still a fair number of people; not bad considering the changeable weather on the day.

I have an email for the police saying between 8000 and 10000. It's hard to say but there were loads of people in the tents this year and are seriously underused when the weather is blazing hot.

Its quite depressing that there is a general resignation by some people that the city wide scene is rubbish. I admit, it seems quite provincial for a large city, but it is what it is.

Sheffield is somewhat behind with its city centre strategy, and I would hope that the scene would develop as the face of the city develops. As a former Birmingham resident, I can remember when Hurst St was part car park, part adult shop mecca and part grimy gay venues. Its only over recent years that newer, more up market establishments have developed any footing. Its delusional to think that gey venues "thrive" elsewhere. they dont. Manchester, Birmingham- I can reel off the names of the bars that have come and gone in the last 10 years or so since I have been going out. Even smaller cities gay venues have come and gone. Its not unique to us. Its a risky business plan at the moment to target a minimal market when scores of licensed venues are closing daily.

Hi guys! Any tips where to look for some gay mates?

so has Sheffield got a gay scene worthy of the name yet?

Re. Chatrooms, some people in the clubbing industry have told me that the increase in chatroom services for mobiles like Grindr is hitting the traditional gay scene all over, because men (and presumably lesbians) meet up on the hoof and go to whatever bars/clubs they want, as the 'Mainstream' scene is so much more tolerant, and Sheffield's gay bars are all away from the main drag of West St./Divisiion St. area.

Has anyone else noticed if this is the case, or have YOUR 'going out' habits changed after joining 'Grindr' or other such services?

I am hoping to organise some form of informal local Gay Entertainment Scene mini-conference on this subject at a date later in the year, if interested people can PM me or contact me by email which you will find on my website. Also, you can contact me by Facebook.

Just a little reminder, Club Xes owner/manager GARRY'S BIRTHDAY is on THIS SATURDAY, 13th August, at Club Xes; there will be entertainment from two local Drag Queens and a buffet of some kind for those who really don't have time for tea before going out; also just a reminder that the Spital Hill end of Carlisle Street is STILL blocked due to some nameless heap of junk being erected there, so drivers approaching from the city centre will have to turn right at the top of Spital hill about 200 yards further on, or approach from the attercliffe direction. Plenty of FREE on-street parking outside the club as normal though.

I cannot see why you would have a "mini-conference" on this point. What is there to discuss?

Less people go to pubs and bars these days. The cost of living plus the lower cost of booze in supermarkets has the bigger role in this. I can remember years ago when bars started putting computers in for people to use to go on gaydar etc. they sat empty half the time.

Im sure there are more important issues people may want to talk about, this is a non-issue.

As mentioned in a previous post i miss fuel too. Xes is the place for me, a really friendly place that welcomes all, Staff are awsome, Open late, Great music and a lovely outdoor area. A range of seating areas. Couldnt ask for much more.