The Sheffield gay scene part 2

Oh so no current plans with Plug then?:( Its a shame cos its a nice venue, which as I've been saying is what we need really.

No, it is a recent rumour based on some previous experience they have had.

As far as i'd heard about the Plug thing, it was based on conversations between a promoter at plug, and a certain female individual who was previously thought to have a lot of influence on the sheffield gay scene - who in fact doesn't and not a lot of people like anymore!

When fuel changed to plug it didn't last long... and when the smoking bit at the back was segregated from the main clubs smoking area during fuel nights, lets just say there was some interesting and not very nice banter between the two areas!

Anyway, Affinitys relaunch is this Friday, lets see how they get on - I shall be popping down to show some support / drink!

Cheers

Graham

Looking forward to the Affinity relaunch tomorrow; BTW, I've just noticed that SANCTUARY is closed 'for refurb'. Anyone know any more about this???

Viva Climax Tomorrow :D

The 9th Annual All Day Climax event is here!!!

Saturday 31st July @ Sheffield University Union of Students

Here it is VIVA CLIMAX 2010!!

3pm til 3am! The annual all day LGBT clubbing event!

By Day- 3pm

*BBQ

*DRINKS OFFERS

*This yeah we are adding in that little bit of a festival feel with a CIDER TENT

*FREE TEMPORARY TATTOOS

*INDIAN HEAD MASSAGES

*FREE CANDY FLOSS

*KARAOKE IN BAR ONE FROM 8pm

By Night - 10:30pm doors

In The Foundry

* Laura Steel - This years most exciting new artist performing her new single 'Feedback'

* BABY D! - Performing their number 1 hit 'Let me be your fantasy'

* Angie Brown - a regular on the main stage at Manchester Pride Angie Brown will be performing her big hitters such as 'I'm gonna get you baby' & 'Movin up'

Plus DJ Scott Kelly will be taking you right through til 3am with the biggest in commercial Pop and Chart

In The Fusion

* HEADPHONE DISCO!!! DJ Emma and Peachy Keen vs DJ John Dixon 1 room, 3 DJs all playing at same time! put on the headphones and switch between the DJs its that simple!

Its set to be a great day and night! SO DON'T MISS OUT!!!!!!!

See More

We attended the VIP 'Invitation only' launch of the new Affinity last night.

I liked.

After the 'all gong and no dinner' approach of the last management setup, what I saw last night was a refreshing change.

Bottoms up! So to speak.

:)

* BABY D!

* Angie Brown

God, I thought they were both dead.

Looking forward to the Affinity relaunch tomorrow; BTW, I've just noticed that SANCTUARY is closed 'for refurb'. Anyone know any more about this???

I won't comment as the story goes it may all end up in court so you can read about it in the star!

Pinkpangolin

The people I have worked with before have run events at 02, the issue is getting a set date as they have so many different things going on each month.

Then you have the issue of what path to go down with the night, if you were to bring in big names Deadmau5, Steve Angelo, Simon Patterson etc you are looking at upwards of £4k, on top of that some of the big names are already fully booked for 2010 as we have already made some enquiries. Also in that scenario the night goes from being LGBT to a serious music night.

So for now you are stuck with Angie Brown and Baby D and the same old recurring themes!

If anyone has any good suggestions then let me know!

Is Hazel Dean not available ?

Sanctuary will be re-opening next Thursday as a straight venue.

The new owner already has a venue in Sheffield and will be trying to turn around its fortunes with live music and possibly DJ's he already has connections with.

This is from the horses mouth as such !

Viva Climax on Saturday was the quietest Viva I've ever seen it, the place was half empty. Got to the Uni about 7pm thinking it would be bustling and full of energy like previous years and it was almost deserted with no atmosphere so we ended up going down Divison St until gone ten.

Wish Climax would change their formula it needs to be totally revamped and re-launched, bring in some new DJs, not all gays love pop or want to be relegated to the the small room.

Does anyone think the drinks aren't quite right at Climax? I had a Sailor Jerry rum with coke and honest to god it tasted like dental mouth wash. I've drank shed loads of Sailor Jerry and that was definitely NOT genuine stuff!

p.s. please no more Angie Brown, give the poor woman a rest.

Sanctuary will be re-opening next Thursday as a straight venue.

The new owner already has a venue in Sheffield and will be trying to turn around its fortunes with live music and possibly DJ's he already has connections with.

This is from the horses mouth as such !

Many Thanks, James, for putting us right up to date with Sanctuary.

I'll keep a tab on what happens at the old Affinity around the corner, as it looks like reopening, most likely also as a 'Mainstream' venue.

For those who go to Doncaster (Doncaster Pride is 21 August) Bar-NY closed down and is also reopening as a mainstream venue; I met the new owner. However, there is going to be a NEW Gay venue opening in the next few weeks there: 'Trinity' (formerly Camelots) in the old converted church in Wood St. Paid a visit to Donny the other day, but no-one was at 'Trinity' so I have no news of dates, type of nights, etc. as yet.

Interesting the news about the possibility of gay nights at Plug; I did drag there when it hosted Fuel for a couple of weeks.

Also, interesting what Skyfitsboy said about Viva Climax being quiet; I found it very quiet too, and this was surely because of Leeds Pride the following day -I went along and it was great; one of the highlights was the reopened Viaduct as a decent Drag Cabaret venue; this is the kind of attraction which sheffield could really do with, and it would be popular with gay and straight crowds alike. Dempseys and Affinity take note!

BTW, the Opening Night at Affinity was great, and I wish the new owners best of luck.:love:

Well lets be honest Climax has been rubbish for a fair few months now. I used to go every month, now its about one in three and that goes for the majority of my mates too. People are bored of it.

Also it was a bit of a stupid weekend for it to be on this weekend. You had the Affinity relaunch on Friday (which was rammed), then it was also Nottingham Pride on Saturday and Leeds Pride on Sunday. Unfortunately such is Sheffield's dismal gay scene, I think people are now prefferring to go further for a night out than stay in Sheffield where its a case of same old same old.