How do couples who seperate cope..

I've lived 10,000 miles from my boys for going on two years now. I still haven't learned to "cope" - I still cry most every night (and day) from missing them. I've had bouts of serious depression where it was hard to get out of bed. But I remind myself that giving up isn't going to make things better, and the situation could be so much worse... I imagine all the parents who've lost their children entirely. My kids are far away, and I can't see them every day, but at least they are there, in reach.

You just make every moment with them count. Even those 5-minute phone calls with nothing of note to say matter. Photos, letters, anything you can do to stay connected makes a difference.

It definitely helps if the other parent appreciates the importance - for the child - of both parents' involvement.

It's very hard but I speak from experience in saying it seems much harder in theory than in practice. Me and my partner split about a month ago she is staying in what was the family home and I back with my parents. Luckily we are both being grown up about the situation and are still friends it helps that it was an amicable split (no cheating etc) I have my girls on 4 days and 3 nights and obviously my ex has them the rest of the time, it's difficult to get used to but I am sure the girls are happier now we are getting on and bith get to see them. Plus when we do anything with the kids we normally do it together (birthdays christmas etc) In my opinion although it can be very difficult in some circumstances but some people need to grow up and put their kids first, forget about all the point scoring with the ex and just get on with being a parent. I feel soooo sorry for kiddies where by their Dad or Mum just don't seem to care about them or when they next see them.