Useful Walking Links

Useful Walking Links

The following links have been suggested by forum users as being useful for all things walking related. If you have any suggestions to add to this list, please pm me & I will add it to the relevant section. Thank you.

Walking Gear

Links to shops etc that sell anything walking related

New Forest Footwear

Mr Outdoors

Direct Sports Shop

Amazon

Chelston Direct

Foothills

Go Outdoors

Decathlon

Routes & Walks

Links to websites with routes and walks both locally and nationally

Walking Britain route finder

Walking Englishman

Yorkshire Water walks

The AA

Been there Done that

Cressbrook

Peak District

Peak Walking

Go for a walk

Yorkshire Walks

Walking World

Go Far

Rotherham Trail Leaflets

Visit Peak District

Stone to Steel

Maps & Mapping Software

Links to sites where you can either buy maps or use maps online

Ordnance Survey get a map

Ordnance Survey maps

Memory map

Street map

Google maps

Old maps

Maps Warehouse

Google Earth

Run Walk Jog

Malham Tarn armchair walk

Walk It

Where's the Path?

Edited by Hemlock
Additional links

We are a Sheffield based outdoor company teaching outdoors skills for the hill and the crag - but in particular we run Outdoor First Aid courses.

Also it might be worth noting we lead 6 free walking weekends in the Peak District each year and also run Challenge4Charity - a voluntary organised and not for profit sponsored walk - covering (up to) 50 miles inside one day. A bit insane - but amazingly good fun.

If anyone is planning a walking holiday in Scotland I would like to recommend the site, walkhighlands Scotland walks and accommodation.

Well done on a useful site Hemlock

Walkers may be interested in a new rail service, based in Wirksworth, Derbyshire. Wirksworth is near the High Peak Trail.

You might also be interested in this article of mine, which has a few details about Wirksworth and the Ecclesbourne Valley.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/article/Drive-a-Diesel-Train-Experience-Ecclesbourne-Valley-Railway

Regards, Dave

Edited by crookes

A couple of suggested additions

Towsure also sell a selection of walking gear and clothing

MapMyWalk is a reasonable mapping tool - though I tend to use it more AFTER a walk to measure distance and height climbed, and to log walks I've done. There are also some mapped walks on there (some runs and some cycle routes too) around Sheffield

OpenStreetMap is useful too - a "wiki map" - though any routes planned on there should be double-checked as it's mapping's answer to wikipedia - someone COULD put incorrect information on there, by mistake or devilment

I'm new to all this, forums I mean, not walking! A great way to find out what's happening around Sheffield and some great links to useful sites. Thanks to all. :)

Walkers may be interested in a new rail service, based in Wirksworth, Derbyshire. Wirksworth is near the High Peak Trail.

You might also be interested in this article of mine, which has a few details about Wirksworth and the Ecclesbourne Valley.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/article/Drive-a-Diesel-Train-Experience-Ecclesbourne-Valley-Railway

Regards, Dave

If you are planning to do some walking around Wirksworth and taking in the Ecclesbourne Railway and maybe Crich Tramway museum you could do a lot worse than plan an overnight stop here:

http://www.theoldlockup.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/Theoldlockup

Lovely place!

Many thanks for these, I can't wait to try some of them out