Real ale society

I am forming a real ale appreciation society,

The sucess of CAMRA, the campain for real ale has been so successful that the next step in my eyes is the appreciation of the real ales that are now available in pubs and clubs.

Just this evening I have managed to sample Old Speckled Hen "dotty chicken", Stones Cask, Timmy Taylors landlord and Bombardier all in the same evening all at the same venue, this would have been unheard of some years ago, but now commonplace.

Anyway, in conjunction with a few others, I have decided to form an appreciation society of real ales within the area, the idea is to have the occasional evening sampling real ales on organised real ale hunts, attending the real ale festivals with the long term plan of having a real ale festival in Dronfield.

We have 7 founder members here in Dronfield and the 1st social activity is planned for the beer festival in Rotherham.

anyone interested in joining an informal appreciation society, geared towards the social rather than the formal drop me a line.

CAMRA has a social side as well as formal business and campaigning (although you could say going into pubs socially and drinking real ale is a form of campaigning).

Instead of forming a new society, if you are CAMRA members the Sheffield & District branch already covers Dronfield, however if there is enough interest a seperate 'sub branch' could be formed for Dronfield and the surrounding villages such as Holmesfield and Coal Aston.

You may be interested that I am in the early stages of planning a multi-venue beer festival in the area for Saturday 17th July which will see pubs in Dronfield, Dronfield Woodhouse, Holmesfield, Bradway, Totley and Dore all putting on a mini beer festival with the venues linked by a free bus service that will also serve Dronfield railway station. Each pub will also do food and some will have entertainment such as live music too.

Confirmed so far the Coach & Horses will be doing a beer, blues and BBQ event again, the Hearty Oak will have all their handpumps in action with beers from Abbeydale Brewery along with some interesting guest beers, the Castle Inn at Bradway will be putting a lot of extra beers on from local breweries and doing great value food, with live music in the evening.

Other venues that have expressed an interest in taking part in the festival but not yet confirmed include the Jolly Farmer in Dronfield Woodhouse, Horns Inn in Holmesfield, Angel in Holmesfield, George in Holmesfield, Cross Scythes in Totley and Sheffield Tigers Rugby Club at Dore Moor.

Once I have things confirmed with the venues all the information will start appearing on the Sheffield CAMRA website - http://www.sheffieldcamra.org.uk.

Edited by Andy C

Andy,

We were told by CAMRA head office that we could not do what you are just suggesting, I was told that we all had to be members of either Chesterfield or Sheffield, either way it would be a difficult way to attend meetings etc. We have no objection to being a sub branch of another branch.

So far we have around 10 members, all in touch via email from myself.

Holmesfield is quite a mecca for ale these days - even the thai restaurant in the former Travellers Rest offers a cask ale - Theakstons XB

Rutland Arms offers 3 ales including Camerons Strongarm and Deuchars IPA (the tipple of choice for celebrity former prostitute, Belle du Jour!)

Horns Inn is now on the SIBA list and has had Peak Ales Bakewell Best on recently and Thornbridge White Swan currently.

George and Dragon is now a genuine free house offering Tetley, TT Landlord, Oakwell Barnsley Bitter and Peak Ales Bakewell Best

Angel Inn offers 3 ales including Adnams Bitter and Abbeydale Moonshine

Venture a mile down the hill to Millthorpe and the idyllic Royal Oak (reopened and run by locals) offers 3 changing guest ales.

Holmesfield is now well worth a pub crawl - and the Thai food is excellent with a drop of Theakstons at the Travs!

Lest we forget the RATS (real ale tasting society) that former landlord Paul Basham ran at the Jolly Farmer (ex-Gorsey Brigg) on a Thursday night (also offering a t-shirt when you paid your subs).

I like to raise my glass to CAMRA. I can't imagine a life where the only beer available was carling. I'd stay in!